Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We took our first walkabout in the garden and orchard today. About half the garden is still covered with snow. Several fruit trees didn't survive the winter. Some little vermin girdled the bark on the trunks about 8" from the ground. They did the same with some raspberry stalks too. I dont know if they were gophers or voles. Either way, I'll be trapping, gassing and poisoning the little a-holes.

We don't eiteither but we start seedlings and get the plots cleaned of debris, till organic material into soil etc. It gives me hope for sunshine, heat and fresh food.
Here by klamath lake we have to wait till late May/June. Growing season starts fast and ends fast.
We have started getting things ready too. We just cleared are old corn stalks and planning what we will this year ate 3rd year if growing.
Last year we did really good and still have something from the garden just about everyday.

Intended to get my mammoth kale seeds in ground today, but the wind storm is making it too rough. I'll go visit my cousin instead. Things are good in the greenhouse, though. Cut a large bowl of greens for tonight's salad, and a large bowl of spinach that I cooked to add to our lasagna tonight. The radish barrels have taken off.

Since my gardens are fenced, I put Leon in with me and let him run free.

I dug a hole and he dug it deeper.
I put in a potato and he would take it out and run away.
I covered a potato and Leon would dig it up.
Leon loved seeing me on my knees so he would run at me and play attack.

It is going to be an interesting year.

Here by klamath lake we have to wait till late May/June. Growing season starts fast and ends fast.
We have started getting things ready too. We just cleared are old corn stalks and planning what we will this year ate 3rd year if growing.
Last year we did really good and still have something from the garden just about everyday.
My brother lives in Dallas, OR . I think that's the city.

My brother lives in Dallas, OR . I think that's the city.
I think that is on the other side of the Cascades. I'm pretty much south central and the nearest big city is 3.5hrs away.
Perfect!
20190316_143624.jpg

Why do dogs bury bones? Are they unsure of where their next meal is coming from? How in Hell do they think it will age like fine wine. Why do we prep? Are we unsure of where our food will come from next year? At least we put it in mylar with O2 absorber.

Intended to get my mammoth kale seeds in ground today, but the wind storm is making it too rough. I'll go visit my cousin instead. Things are good in the greenhouse, though. Cut a large bowl of greens for tonight's salad, and a large bowl of spinach that I cooked to add to our lasagna tonight. The radish barrels have taken off.
I believe the squirrels are eating mixed green salads this Spring. I have kale, lettuce and spinach missing.

That is a bummer. My spinach and lettuces grow in the greenhouse, not outside, so that's a help. Our son the nurseryman brought some giant kale seeds when he came to visit recently for me to plant outside. I'm not a fan of kale, but it's animal feed. I was thinking for chickens and turkeys, not squirrels.

Our greenhouse is roughly 6 feet wide, and 14 feet long. Doors on both ends, which are handy for heat control. Has a pitched roof and dirt floor. Is metal construction with greenhouse clear panels. I've already outgrown it and we're thinking about adding a bigger one. I have four large tables going on the inside, and the larger pots for cutting (spinach and lettuce) on the ground. Tables are full of seedling flats at the moment. I'll be planting outside in about 4 weeks, the seedlings that are starting. The only things I've started directly out are the green beans, onions, and snap peas.

At feeding time, I noticed that half my green bean bed is gone along with about a quarter of my bush peas. . . I really need my fence put back up now. I guess I will have to do it. It looks like I may have a fat rabbit or two hanging out around here. I did start tying up my tomatoes out back in the kitchen garden, added in some more lettuce in pots and even planted three late cabbage, but to be honest, I am not very hopeful for those. Our weather is going to be getting hot very soon and I am expecting them to bolt. There is a little more shade back there though. My herbs out back are thriving. I am doing battle with a couple crawfish though. He keeps making his hole, which is much like a gopher hole if you don't know. . .They build up sides with the dirt being pulled out. He keeps trying to kill off one of my strawberry plants. If I am not on top of it, it would get smothered. I did end up losing one of my pepper plants out in the garden due to that. It happened overnight apparently and I went to work that morning, not walking till that evening.

Latest posts

Back