Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put the netting on my berries today. My gooseberries are getting big and last year the birds had a feast.

Hopefully I will get some blackberries this year. It is the 3rd year and I cut the old canes like it said on the video. When I was young, my dad just gathered blackberries in the woods and no one pruned them.

The 40° nights are slowing the ripening of my strawberries. They were ready to produce and now they are stalled.

I put a cage in the fence to hopefully catch any squirrels that have been patiently waiting until the right minute.

Do any of you plant your summer squash to go up a trellis or something to go vertical. The guy I've been watching on you tube does and he saves lots of space. I'm thinking it might help with squash bugs too. I think I will try using tomato cages and panty hose as ties. I use hose on my tomatoes because they don't damage stems.

Comments? Suggestions?

Do any of you plant your summer squash to go up a trellis or something to go vertical. The guy I've been watching on you tube does and he saves lots of space. I'm thinking it might help with squash bugs too. I think I will try using tomato cages and panty hose as ties. I use hose on my tomatoes because they don't damage stems.

Comments? Suggestions?
I have let my cucumbers, butternut and spaghetti squash climb up trellis along with honey dew and cantaloupes in the past. This year I dont have any trellis up. All have done very good with it. I used just basic welded wire fencing that we had leftover and some T post to hold it up.

We've been eating asparagus out of the garden for about a week now. The fruit trees are starting to bloom. I've been turning over a section of garden with a shovel until I get the rototiller running. Its slow going between all my other projects. Now I cant get my pressure washer started. I just bought it last year!!! The fittings on my large field sprayer deteriorated and broke. Doesn't look like I'll be spraying any fields this year. GD junk. But I did manage to get the brush cutter running today, and its over 20 years old!

I started harvesting my first squash plants, both patty and yellow along with the first of the cherry tomatoes. As we were walking the calves tonight and hunny spotted some blackberries, he made the comment of us needing to go out to the blackberry patch. Maybe tomorrow after I get off work.

I started harvesting my first squash plants, both patty and yellow along with the first of the cherry tomatoes. As we were walking the calves tonight and hunny spotted some blackberries, he made the comment of us needing to go out to the blackberry patch. Maybe tomorrow after I get off work.
We picked up some more blackberry and strawberry plants too. The plan is to plant them tomorrow, along with the fruit trees. We bought 2 plum, 2 cherry and an apple tree. Some rodent over the winter girdled 3 fruit trees.
Speaking of cattle, I need to go out tomorrow and find ours. I've got someone interested in buying some steers and heifers.

We picked up some more blackberry and strawberry plants too. The plan is to plant them tomorrow, along with the fruit trees. We bought 2 plum, 2 cherry and an apple tree. Some rodent over the winter girdled 3 fruit trees.
Speaking of cattle, I need to go out tomorrow and find ours. I've got someone interested in buying some steers and heifers.
We got a guy very interested in our young Angus bull, but since we lost his daddy when he got a broken back, I don't think hunny is willing to sell him. When the guy was over ther other day he made a comment on how well our girls up front were looking. Hope he spreads the word so we can sell some cows.

We got a guy very interested in our young Angus bull, but since we lost his daddy when he got a broken back, I don't think hunny is willing to sell him. When the guy was over ther other day he made a comment on how well our girls up front were looking. Hope he spreads the word so we can sell some cows.
We lost our main bull last year and won't know how well our young bull will work out until around February.
I think we're going to sell around 20 head this summer. That should finish paying off our medical bills and finish our construction projects.

We lost our main bull last year and won't know how well our young bull will work out until around February.
I think we're going to sell around 20 head this summer. That should finish paying off our medical bills and finish our construction projects.
And THAT is what matters right now. Getting bills paid off. That would be my first too in your situation. Inflation is right down the road.

Smart idea. Not a good thing to owe money right now.
I think I'll try trellacing the cucumbers this year. Our cultivator came in yesterday, and I don't expect it to do as much as the tiller, but the area I'm doing was tractor tilled a little over a month ago. Started digging an area for more blackberries and a blueberry bush. That I'm hand shoveling, but it's not too bad.

Weather has been really nice this week if a bit cool. Picked first batch of rhubarb and froze. Been picking asparagus every other day and have enjoyed some fresh on the grill and have frozen a couple batches. Started 3 new piles of hot compost that require turning everyday. Trimming and spraying fence lines this week also. Green beans planted. Also been working on cleaning out an evergreen fencerow on the north fence that functions as a windbreak. Upkeep is never done!

B
Weather has been really nice this week if a bit cool. Picked first batch of rhubarb and froze. Been picking asparagus every other day and have enjoyed some fresh on the grill and have frozen a couple batches. Started 3 new piles of hot compost that require turning everyday. Trimming and spraying fence lines this week also. Green beans planted. Also been working on cleaning out an evergreen fencerow on the north fence that functions as a windbreak. Upkeep is never done!

Busy busy. I need to put up string for beans to climb. I put up poles but have lost my twine.

Got the tiller running today and got almost half the garden tilled. The wife wants to go to the nursery tomorrow and get more plants. We may pick up a couple more fruit trees too. There's a new nursery owned by some Mennonites about 75 miles south. They keep a good stock and have reasonable prices. They also make good ghost pepper cheese, that is actually hot.

Latest posts

Back