Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay Georgia here are your tips. Critters in the garden at night.

1-100_2648.jpg

I put a foot tub in the garden with a radio under it and turn it to the loudest hard rock/acid rock station I can find. Foot tub protects the radio but put a brick or something under one end so the sound can escape. Scares the heck out of everything. I move it around occasionally.

Got those worms at the end of the corn. Just when your corn starts to silk the moth lays eggs in the silk. Take a large dropper(spray bottle can work with thinner oils) and walk down the row and squirt a small amount of oil ( mineral oil/olive oil/ vegetable oil) into the end of the ear at the base of the silk.

1-100_7854.jpg

Last edited:
Row markers. Don't throw away those jar lids when you open a canning jar. My husband took 9 wire and bent small hooks for me. Stick the hook in the ground take a nail/drill and punch a hole in the top of the lid. Label your crop and hang on the loop. I use a paint pen because permanent markers fade in the sun. Easy to see and read

1-100_1736.jpg

Pots for starting seeds and transplanting seedlings. Tear newspaper in long strips. Wrap strips around tin can and fold bottom together Or you can make the bottom open. The pots and all can be planted. If you leave the bottom open the roots will eventually fill the pot and hold the soil together when planted the roots will run out the bottom if you do not let it get too root bound.
1-100_6714.jpg

Try planting tomatoes this way. Start with a wire ring. Fill with leaves, grass clipping, and lots of high nitrogen compost materials ( manure, coffee grinds, green grass clippings). Now on the outside of the ring at the base plant tomatoes. The compost will feed the tomatoes all season as it rots down. Tie the tomatoes to the outside of the ring itself for support. Some of the largest tomatoes I have ever grown have been on these.

1-100_5465.JPG

Last edited:
You want the roots to go deep on your tomatoes. When putting seedlings in pots and sizing up I use milk cartons. Poke holes in bottom. Gives a good deep root area and plant seedling deep. Waterproof and just tear off when planting and burn.

View attachment 10718

DD, you absolutely MUST write a book!! I guarantee you
that you will sell a ton. Publish it yourself and put it out there. Please share your immense and very necessary knowledge, skills and experiences with everyone. You have such gift to give others.

If you need help with publishing it, just send me a note. I will help or do it for you. FYI, I’ve published a few things before with good results. Nothing on this subject of course.

Try planting tomatoes this way. Start with a wire ring. Fill with leaves, grass clipping, and lots of high nitrogen compost materials ( manure, coffee grinds, green grass clippings). Now on the outside of the ring plant tomatoes. The compost will feed the tomatoes all season as it rots down. Tie the tomatoes to the outside of the ring itself for support. Some of the largest tomatoes I have ever grown have been on these.

View attachment 10721

Do you plant them close to the top part? About how many plants?

Pots for starting seeds and transplanting seedlings. Tear newspaper in long strips. Wrap strips around tin can and fold bottom together Or you can make the bottom open. The pots and all can be planted. If you leave the bottom open the roots will eventually fill the pot and hold the soil together when planted the roots will run out the bottom if you do not let it get too root bound. View attachment 10713

Definitely going to do this to start seeds for fall planting! I waste money on the plastic stuff. What are these tomatoes and Basil? Don’t know the middle one.

Okay Georgia here are your tips. Critters in the garden at night.

View attachment 10711

I put a foot tub in the garden with a radio under it and turn it to the loudest hard rock/acid rock station I can find. Foot tub protects the radio but put a brick or something under one end so the sound can escape. Scares the heck out of everything. I move it around occasionally.

LOL. What a fun and helpful idea! I’ve got a tub like that, so I will get it out and try!

LOL. What a fun and helpful idea! I’ve got a tub like that, so I will get it out and try!

If that fails check on the price of coon hides

1-100_8430.jpg

And I have a great recipe for corned beef venison
And wall decorations/hat racks/hubs braggin rights are included

1-100_4176.jpg

ShootShoot

Do you plant them close to the top part? About how many plants?

Okay you are planting the tomatoes at the base of the ring in the regular garden soil on the outside of the ring. When it rains ( or you water) the water trickles to the bottom of the ring taking with it all those great nutrients to the roots of the tomato plants on the outside edge. I plant 2 indeterminate heirlooms. 1 on each side.

Last edited:
So that’s why so many of mine split! Ahhh, the knowledge you have.

Reason for the splitting is that the tomatoes take up too much water too fast. Faster than the outer skin can expand to accommodate it. So then it splits and then it rots. Especially after a dry spell.

Definitely going to do this to start seeds for fall planting! I waste money on the plastic stuff. What are these tomatoes and Basil? Don’t know the middle one.

In a survival situation there may not be a walmart to run to for potting soil, plastic pots or bug sprays and fertilizers. Learn now to improvise. Not to mention you are recycling.

Tomatoes, basil and peppers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back