Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oops
001.jpg

I have found top soil,I am going to order 10 yrds here in a few days,,,,I have the area picked out,I will mow it low till the ground and then have the new soil brought in,,,,I will then collect all my old hay bedding mulch it and add it to the garden I have rabbit droppings to add also,,,let it sit over the winter it should be about ready by April 2021
Prepping the soil makes a huge difference in your gardens yield. I am still learning new stuff each year but the more material you can add the better.

I picked a huge pot of tomatoes today and some okra. I got the pickled okra canned but will do the spaghetti sauce later on this week. I got the blueberry area weed eater too. It’s on a pretty steep hill and I planted the plants a little too close to each other to be able to mow it so the weed eater is the only option. I just picked like three days ago and allready need to again. I’m amazed at how well they produced this year. Guess I’m getting up early for that tomorrow. There’s always something to do here. Apples are ripe now too....

I picked a huge pot of tomatoes today and some okra. I got the pickled okra canned but will do the spaghetti sauce later on this week. I got the blueberry area weed eater too. It’s on a pretty steep hill and I planted the plants a little too close to each other to be able to mow it so the weed eater is the only option. I just picked like three days ago and allready need to again. I’m amazed at how well they produced this year. Guess I’m getting up early for that tomorrow. There’s always something to do here. Apples are ripe now too....

It's nice in the fall to step back and look at that full pantry but it sure makes for some long tiring summer days.

I made a big batch of salsa yesterday and canned a load of half pint jars. Today I have a batch of spaghetti sauce simmering now to can later today. I also picked and froze another gallon of blueberries. I kept enough out to make the first pie with them of the season. I use store bought pie crust because I’m lazy, and I lay in a can of cherry pie filling, then fill the rest with fresh blueberries, pushing them down into the cherry filling but not completely mixing them in. Thats it. I don’t need to add any sugar or anything else. The canned pie filling is already sweet enough. Super easy and simple. About twenty more mins on the pie. I used the recipe Danilgrl posted for the spaghetti sauce. I had a huge pile of cherry tomatoes to work with and blending them was a lot easier than trying to peel all of them. I do cut them in half and remove the stem part though. I will do one more batch of tomato sauce from the garden to top off the pantry and the rest will go to the food bank. Gardening is satisfying but it really is a lot of work. I was at Walmart yesterday and saw they now carry the large sized cans of vegetables for 2.50$ a can. They had corn, green beans, carrots and some other stuff. Kind of depressing when I think of all the work that goes into my pantry! Honestly, I do most of this as a learning experience. I know I can produce and preserve a good portion of my food now If ever hard pressed.

Prepping the soil makes a huge difference in your gardens yield. I am still learning new stuff each year but the more material you can add the better.
That's what I do Brent. I dig a hole and add soil, fertilizer, banana peels, crushed egg shells, sand. Been doing this for 21 years and it's starting to pay off.

I mow the wooded area of the back of the property each spring. All the leaves that fell over the winter are good and brown. When I mow I let the mower blow the mulched material into rows and then I bring it to the garden to till in and keep some on top for weed control. Of course I also compost all the scraps from the house and yard too. All of it adds nutrients. I see people buying loads of stuff at the big box stores for their soil but with a little for thought you can enrich it for free.

How did you like the recipe?
The sauce tasted great but I haven’t tried it on spaghetti yet. I canned the whole pot this time. I really liked the little bit of worchester I could taste. It compliments it well. I’m a carnivore so will add some ground beef or pork when using it of course. I will have to make a second batch in a couple days again and will try some fresh.

The sauce tasted great but I haven’t tried it on spaghetti yet. I canned the whole pot this time. I really liked the little bit of worchester I could taste. It compliments it well. I’m a carnivore so will add some ground beef or pork when using it of course. I will have to make a second batch in a couple days again and will try some fresh.
I have done both. . . with and without the added meat to the sauce and just alter the processing time. With me working nights and having to stay quiet on my off days while hunny is sleeping (because even though I try to alter my schedule, it's hard. I normally have to have a nap with only a couple hours of sleep after I get off) having an almost ready to go meal makes sense. So nice to just boil pasta or prepare a casserole type dish and make French Bread or Garlic Bread and salad for dinner.

I talked to my bachelor neighbor today who had his son's family come for a visit last week. He told me that he made spaghetti while they were here. His granddaughter doesn't normally like spaghetti but was told that she ate her plate. His DIL, after seeing a Hunt spaghetti can in his pantry, asked if that is what he used in his sauce. She loved it and he told her it was something I canned up for him. I feel bad because after talking with him today he is looking for a place up in north Texas to move to. That man is like the brother I never had and I will so miss him, but I understand. He has lived on our property for the last 11 years I think. He is looking and moving because of work. Times are tough and I get that.

I have already told him I would send along with him his favorite recipes he comes to me for. It breaks my heart to even know this is something that is coming. . . . He knows some of the canning basics but I have had to teach him some things because he can only recall his grandma canning AND SHE ONLY WATER BATHED. We bought him a pressure canner a few years ago for Christmas after he told us about some green beans he tried to can but didnt understand why they went bad. He never measures. . . then wonders what went wrong. It makes me laugh sometimes but then it is hard for me to tell him some of mine because I dont go by by measurements, , , Its by taste. Like potato salad and deviled eggs. . . those were the ones we talked about today.

I’m pretty safe with canning but don’t follow recipes exactly either. I only change little things like spices and such though, never on being clean or with times of processing. My biggest mistake is not writing down exactly what I use so when something comes out really good I can’t replicate it later on! Usually going by taste is close enough though. Anyways, I do appreciate the recipe and always look forwards to trying some of your ideas.

Latest posts

Back