Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By late September (next month!) we should be seeing (and feeling) the consequences of all this nonsense.

Spot on, unfortunately. Make sure you make or already have made deals with local folks for ALL your animal feed! WEFers plan is to takeout our stock as well as dogs. Don’t let them!!

Last edited:
We picked a couple more buckets of raspberries yesterday, plus we're getting a few bell peppers and tomatoes. Should be able to pick the garlic and onions soon. Its supposed to get down in to the 40's the next few nights. We'll probably have to cover the tomato plants. The garden is looking good this year, just takes a lot of water.

Transplanted some tomato seedlings and planted a couple zuchini and squash.

Had way too many zinnias in my bean garden. They were too tall and shading the veggies. Have a wheelbarrow full of flowers that will make my neighbors nice bouquets. (If I get time)

There are some seed heads ready too so I am going to harvest those and just throw them and see what happens next Spring.

My neighbor took store bought dried beans, soaked them overnight and planted. The are growing. I had no idea this could be done.
Ive done it. One time did a comparison store bought beans vs seed company beans. Was shocked when the germination rate was HIGHER on the store bought beans!

Pulled out old cucumber plants that are done. Already have new ones up to replace them.

Picking now tomatoes, red beans, yellow squash, cucumbers, peppers, okra, cantaloupe, watermelon, zucchini, blackberries and picked my first fig yesterday. Set out small cabbage for fall cabbage plants, planted fall turnips and mustard greens, fall lettuce (romaine) and some green onions. Sweet potatoes are looking good but waiting to dig until next month. Winter butternut squash are really sizing up.

Canning red beans, elderberry pie filling, elderberry jam, bread and butter pickles, blackberry pie filling, Watermelon rind preserves, roasted tomatoes, tomatoes and okra. Freezing yellow squash, okra, blackberries. Dehydrating yellow squash and okra.

My neighbor took store bought dried beans, soaked them overnight and planted. The are growing. I had no idea this could be done.
Pinto beans as a young adult, it is the flat/ribbon green bean.
My Father planted store bought black eyed peas in 1960's, white potatoes & slips from sweet potatoes.
I have Ginger growing in two-one gallon pots that the wife found on clearance.
I say Try it, if it does not work stop doing it.

We picked the garlic a couple days ago and are getting a few tomatoes now. Still getting a lot of raspberries and the blackberries are about a week away, and looks like a bumper crop. The pie cherries are ready to pick, and the apple and plum trees are loaded with fruit and are probably a month away from being ripe. The rabbits are eating the tops of the onions. I'll get a trap set for them today. We have some nice sized watermelon that should be ready in a week or so. The corn is starting to get some ears, might be ready in a couple of weeks.

Found these bad boys on ONE plant. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Attachments

• 20220815_095641.jpg
    20220815_095641.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I was looking at garden myths site and it was about what is or isn't in bagged garden soil.

The name for most of these products should be "Ground up Wood Product". If you want soil, make your own or dig up some in the w.oods
We mix our soil with the commercial stuff.

I like coffee chaff, leaves, grass, weeds before they have seed heads,a little animal manure.
I am trying rice husk this year. I want to buy a wood chipper to feed wine cap mushrooms.

According to South Carolina DA, if you plant a non-organic perennial, after one year of growing in organic soil, it is organic.
I know not all pureist see it that way, but you can sale fruit from that perennials as organic.

There are national organic standards set by the USDA. I do not believe the above ruling adheres to that guide line at all. Nor do I believe that the determination of that falls under the perimeter of I am assuming a county DA.

In the State of Tennessee
  • Producers or handlers who sell $5000 per year labeled or represented as "organic" must be certified.

Certification Procedure

Producer obtains "Certification Application Packet" from accredited certifying agent of their choice.

Producer pays applicable fees and submits completed application which includes: (1) History of substances applied to the land for the previous three years, (2) Organic products being grown or processed, (3) Organic plan, which includes practices and substances used in production.

Certifying agent reviews application for certification eligibility.
Inspector, assigned by certifying agent, conducts on-site inspection of the applicant's operation.

Certifying agent reviews the information submitted by the applicant and the inspector's report. (If review and inspection show compliance with the requirements, the agent will issue a certificate.)

Certified operations must submit updated organic plan, pay fees, and be re-inspected each year.

USDA or the certifying agent may conduct unannounced inspections at any time to enforce the regulations.

Certifying agents or USDA will conduct residue tests of organic products if there is reason to believe that products have been contaminated with prohibited substances.

Crop Standards​

Land will have no prohibited substances for at least three years before harvest of an organic crop.
  • Use of genetic engineering, ionizing, radiation, and sewage sludge is prohibited.
  • Soil fertility will be managed through crop rotations and cover crops, supplemented with animal and crop waste materials and allowed synthetic materials.
  • Preference will be given to use of organic seeds, but exceptions can be made under specified conditions.
  • Crop pests, weeds and diseases will be controlled primarily through management practices. When these practices are not sufficient, a biological, botanical, or synthetic substance on the approved national list may be used.
Organic Certification

Latest posts

Back