Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is this possible? I just planted these sweet potatoes about two months ago. I've already found two right under the surface. No telling how many are down deep.
These are the orange sweet potatoes. The white sweet potatoes just have a bunch of thin roots all over the place, and they were planted first.
YEHl4QH.jpg

Dont know Doc, but that doesn’t bode well for my O’Henry white sweet Potatoes I planted right after you. Haven't dug in them at all to see if potatoes are forming. Since they are harvested for weeks yet, maybe they are just slower growers? My vines are going crazy.

Certainly a possibility.

Ice Age Farmer listed interesting feedback about that.

“Over 700 people replied. Here is a summary; huge thanks to Kate B. for reviewing, compiling, and sharing. It paints an interesting picture of a uniquely difficult season. Original thread here. (How's your garden doing?)

a) seeds are showing poor germination from a wide range of suppliers

b) those that do germinate and start to grow are doing so i) slower than usual OR ii) are getting so far in their growth then dying (a bit like Tesco's herbs unless you transplant into fresh earth!) OR iii) are growing well but producing greenery not edible produce, so poor yields

c) suspicion is also falling on contaminated bagged compost -- many reports of issues here, some discussion around Grazon contamination

d) in addition, folks are noticing that store bought veg & fruit is not lasting, plus some is rotten on opening although firm externally

e) suggestions also being made about soil alkalinity from chemtrails inhibiting growth

f) some people raising animals are getting all male babies [!?]

g) sunflowers & other plants are being burnt up by the sun's rays

h) there is poor growth/yield from fruit trees

j) plentiful complaints from folks that have been growing for 25-40 years that things just aren't right with a degree of confusion as to the source

k) livestock feed prices are skyrocketing

l) many sick & dead animals around this year & dead birds found daily (Italy)

m) too hot/ too dry/ no rain/ storms/ erratic weather with false forecasting

n) absence of bees for pollination“

For the complete list check out Ice Age Farmer on Telegram. This list was compiled from around the world.

Dont know Doc, but that doesn’t bode well for my O’Henry white sweet Potatoes I planted right after you. Haven't dug in them at all to see if potatoes are forming. Since they are harvested for weeks yet, maybe they are just slower growers? My vines are going crazy.
The white sweet potato roots are growing lengthwise very fast and filling up the raised bed, but the vines are growing slow. Actually they aren't vines at all, most of them still growing straight up.
But the orange sweet potato vines are growing like kudzu, LOL. Six of the orange sweet potato vines have intertwined and run up to the top of the back porch railing and are now growing above it over 7' off the ground.
I ate the two orange sweet potatoes I found. I made home fries out of the first one, and I liked it so much I air fried the second one. I normally can't eat orange sweet potatoes except as fries, too sweet and too strong. But these were delicious.

Have I got a recipe for you, @DrHenley! I disliked sweet potatos most of my life, much to my mother's chagrin. Just too sweet for me and when people added the essence of orange to them, as is common practice, I liked them even less! But about 20 years ago I came across a recipe in the Houston Post that I found intriguing. The dish was indescribably amazing and this is one of only two ways I will eat sweet potatoes to this day.

CHIPOTLE-LIME SWEET POTATOES

INGREDIENTS:

2½ lb. cooked sweet potato flesh, mashed
½ c. heavy cream
4 T. butter
¼ tsp. salt
2 T. fresh lime juice
zest of 1 large lime (2 if small ones)
½ c. brown sugar (I use dark)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1-2 chipotle chile peppers (the canned ones, in adobo sauce, found in Mexican food area of store) seeded, rinsed & pureed

DIRECTIONS: Peel cut and boil sweet potatoes. Mash with a fork or tool of choice. Add all remaining ingredients except chipotle peppers. Lightly mix with electric mixer or stick blender to smooth state.

NOTE: These little chipotle peppers (smoked jalapenos) are very HOT, so special handling is recommended. Either wear plastic gloves (homemade “sandwich bag gloves” will do) or be sure you wash your hands well after handling. Take 1 chipotle pepper (about 1½” long) out of the can. Rinse, and remove seeds and ribs with a knife. Finely mash the pepper into a puree on a flat wooden cutting board. Add to pumpkin mixture, stir well and taste to see if the dish is hot enough for you. It should just have a little 'bite'. You don’t want to get them too hot, but have a little tingle on the tongue. If you want more smoky taste or a hotter dish, carefully repeat the pepper steps, adding ¼-½ pepper at a time, re-tasting after each addition. If you add pepper in stages like this, you won’t ever ruin the whole batch getting it too hot (I did one time).

Stir potatoes well and pour into buttered ceramic/glass baking dish. Sprinkle with a dash more cinnamon and bake at 350º for 20-30 minutes. My brother was an executive chef at Top of the Mark in San Francisco many years ago and raved about these potatoes when I served them to him the first time. Said he'd never tasted anything like them in his life. You might just like these. :)

Last edited:
Habaneros range from mildly hot to blistering hot. I made my own habanero hot sauce and the ones I used were no hotter than cayenne peppers. It's when you get into the ones bred to be hot like the Red Savina that they get blistering hot.
I like to use pure chipotle hot sauce as a mild BBQ sauce...

The white sweet potato roots are growing lengthwise very fast and filling up the raised bed, but the vines are growing slow. Actually they aren't vines at all, most of them still growing straight up.
But the orange sweet potato vines are growing like kudzu, LOL. Six of the orange sweet potato vines have intertwined and run up to the top of the back porch railing and are now growing above it over 7' off the ground.
I ate the two orange sweet potatoes I found. I made home fries out of the first one, and I liked it so much I air fried the second one. I normally can't eat orange sweet potatoes except as fries, too sweet and too strong. But these were delicious.

My white sweet Potatoes are doing exactly what your orange ones are. The vines are growing like kudzu, LOL. numerous vines have already climbed up onto the hanging lights (which are 2 feet above) and have hit the ceiling of the greenhouse!

Ice Age Farmer listed interesting feedback about that.

“Over 700 people replied. Here is a summary; huge thanks to Kate B. for reviewing, compiling, and sharing. It paints an interesting picture of a uniquely difficult season. Original thread here. (How's your garden doing?)

a) seeds are showing poor germination from a wide range of suppliers

b) those that do germinate and start to grow are doing so i) slower than usual OR ii) are getting so far in their growth then dying (a bit like Tesco's herbs unless you transplant into fresh earth!) OR iii) are growing well but producing greenery not edible produce, so poor yields

c) suspicion is also falling on contaminated bagged compost -- many reports of issues here, some discussion around Grazon contamination

d) in addition, folks are noticing that store bought veg & fruit is not lasting, plus some is rotten on opening although firm externally

e) suggestions also being made about soil alkalinity from chemtrails inhibiting growth

f) some people raising animals are getting all male babies [!?]

g) sunflowers & other plants are being burnt up by the sun's rays

h) there is poor growth/yield from fruit trees

j) plentiful complaints from folks that have been growing for 25-40 years that things just aren't right with a degree of confusion as to the source

k) livestock feed prices are skyrocketing

l) many sick & dead animals around this year & dead birds found daily (Italy)

m) too hot/ too dry/ no rain/ storms/ erratic weather with false forecasting

n) absence of bees for pollination“

For the complete list check out Ice Age Farmer on Telegram. This list was compiled from around the world.
Yes! I had a bunch of these problems as well!
a,b,c,e,g,and n.
Haarp(not sure of the spelling) I think people forgot about it. Those that control it messing around with the weather, helps to mess with the food growing. Possibly the animals of the air too. All the cutting down of big trees around the U.S. and Britain (where there were protests, I don't think anyone protested here) because the trees were blocking the 5G waves. That messes people and animals up too! I mean, death, mess up.
The spraying of the air, I mentioned before, I'm not surprised a few people have finally caught onto that one! There's a lot going on, planned I mean. Most of which is not natural.
There's that saying, 'everyone complains about the weather, but no one does anything about it'. Well, someones are. But with bad/evil intent. This is only going to get worse.
I would suggest ( and this will be pricey, but in the long run-you will eat.....) is to have green houses, and try subterranean ones. If they are above ground, they are highly visible, and they will come to shut you down, and then buy the land off you, or just kick you off of it, .....or worse. Growing your own food will become illegal. They want the total control of it, "control the food, control the people'. Remember in the beginning of 2020, Vermont made it illegal to buy seeds?....roped the whole section off and had signs saying 'go buy your fruit and vegetables in the produce section of the store"??
Not sure if other states followed suite. I didn't hear of this happening again, but I may have been out of the loop for a time.
I'm hoping those of us that are fighting the system, can knock it down before mass starvation occurs. My heart just can't take that.

The only thing that will save our species is a drastic reduction of our population. We could do it, but it seems that Nature will do it for us. Many people think that an invisible magician can step in at any moment and fix anything for people that put money in the right plate. Good luck !!

A little good news. The first of the grains were shipped out of Ukraine and Russia today! Russia is also shipping out fertilizer!
Sounds good.
I just hope they haven't done anything to it. Just imagine, if I were an evil genius, messing with the wheat and fertilizer that people will be snatching up, more than their share by the way.....is an easy way to rid the world of quite a few people.
But, maybe it's fine.
I'm a little cautious? suspicious, paranoid........and other words.

Beware...as soon as the wheat, rye, corn and other foodstuffs have been delivered,,,THEY (wef) have their hands of the tangible food which means they can or could dump the electricity, gas and internet, keep the foodstuffs for themselves and let all those people who have invested their money into the delivery and sales of said foodstuffs just fall on their faces and lose all their investments. After all, digital money does not really exist after the computer fails, gas delivery does not happen if the valves get closed and FOOD will not be in the store if it is burned, poisoned, sunk, buried or otherwise "LOST" to any good use for the peasants of the world waiting to be fed. The "lost" food reaction is chaos and the food could be lost around the end of Sep./Oct. when it is delivered and stored in silos. Good timing, right before winter and no garden or food in the stores....stock up people. Gary

Latest posts

Back