Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long day for me today. Work to come home to getting word from my Hunny that Big Momma still has an infection in her teats so we loaded up and headed up to the vets office. On our way home, we stopped by a BBQ place to pick up lunch to bring home. When we got to Roger's Barn, we got a call saying the solar guys were outside our gate. . . While they were there Hunny got a call from our mechanic to say Big Blue was ready for pick up. Seemed like everything was happening one right after the other. After solar guys left, we went out to medicate Big Momma. Found Jake was outside the fence. . . While Hunny gave Big Momma her meds, I hoped over the fence to try to cokes him back over with no success. Hunny comes over when he was done giving meds. I went to get feed. We tried feed with no success. Jake has been halter broke so I went back to the cart to get a rope and once haltered and then feed incentive, he finally went over. I know at least one member who does the wild west kind of herding. Hunny is getting too old at 71. We used to but now, we tend to make life easier on us. We are not getting any younger and cattle, no matter if cow or bull will forever out weight us. After we went to pick up big blue, then had to go fix the fence where Jake got out.

Long day for me today. Work to come home to getting word from my Hunny that Big Momma still has an infection in her teats so we loaded up and headed up to the vets office. On our way home, we stopped by a BBQ place to pick up lunch to bring home. When we got to Roger's Barn, we got a call saying the solar guys were outside our gate. . . While they were there Hunny got a call from our mechanic to say Big Blue was ready for pick up. Seemed like everything was happening one right after the other. After solar guys left, we went out to medicate Big Momma. Found Jake was outside the fence. . . While Hunny gave Big Momma her meds, I hoped over the fence to try to cokes him back over with no success. Hunny comes over when he was done giving meds. I went to get feed. We tried feed with no success. Jake has been halter broke so I went back to the cart to get a rope and once haltered and then feed incentive, he finally went over. I know at least one member who does the wild west kind of herding. Hunny is getting too old at 71. We used to but now, we tend to make life easier on us. We are not getting any younger and cattle, no matter if cow or bull will forever out weight us. After we went to pick up big blue, then had to go fix the fence where Jake got out.
My ponies are basically retired pasture ornaments. Got a little wild being up here. Hard to get them rounded up for the farrier.
Carrots were my friend. Couple of days before, then a day before the next time. Even the one that does not like me now comes around looking.
Don’t know what will work with cows. Hope it helps.

My ponies are basically retired pasture ornaments. Got a little wild being up here. Hard to get them rounded up for the farrier.
Carrots were my friend. Couple of days before, then a day before the next time. Even the one that does not like me now comes around looking.
Don’t know what will work with cows. Hope it helps.
Sweet Feed worked, but corn is their crack. I was too the point of whatever works. At least I got Jake to follow me over to the fence with the Sweet Feed bucket.

Busy day! But, it sounds like you got a lot accomplished and will sleep well.

The man saved this Beluga Whale a couple of years ago. He has created a real bond with it! So cool! :cool:
1674303845612.jpeg

What’s a good .30 for a beginner deer hunter?
If you will be hunting in Illinois, your options are pretty restricted.
According to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, ammunition is restricted to .30-caliber or larger centerfire cartridges that are less than 1 2/5 inches in length or straight-wall cartridges of at least .30 caliber. Acceptable cartridges “must be available as a factory load, with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability of at least 500 foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle.”
And it has to be a single shot rifle.

That rules out 30-30, 308, and 30-06 for deer hunting in Illinois.

Here is the list of approved cartridges:
https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/hunting/Documents/IlSingleShotRifle.pdfThere are only three 30 caliber cartridges on the list and two are almost identical (300 Blackout and 300 Whisper)
The most suitable 30 caliber rifle cartridge on the list is the 300 AAC Blackout, and there are single shot rifles available in it.

I see how you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying they were ruled out for lack of single shot rifles in those cartrigdes (I have a single shot 30-06).

I was saying they were ruled out because the case was over 1.4"

At first I though the 30 Benchrest might be a good legal 30 cal but when I looked up the specs, the case is 1.5". I suspect they picked that number (1.4") to intentionally exclude the 30 BR, the 30 PPC, and the 30 x 1.5 Barnes, all of which are a hair too long.

My eyes aren't as focused as they used to be. I think it comes down to the state intended to inconvenience lawful hunters.
I know I probably shouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt...but...

Maybe because of the population density, they just wanted low velocity rounds so that ricochets wouldn't go very far.

The boys have just been getting big now, with 1 at 27lbs and the other at 24lbs, so they are out growing their playpen. I worked inventory tonight and it’s almost midnight. I may just sleep out here in the living room to see how they do out of their normal night time playpen. Hunny is normally up between 6 to 7 so should be no problem. Barkley really likes sleeping on his back.

Attachments

• D7705E0D-D9CA-4BBF-B599-4933CC6458CE.jpeg
    D7705E0D-D9CA-4BBF-B599-4933CC6458CE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • FB73F66B-63C0-41C0-8C67-A60CF285F793.jpeg
    FB73F66B-63C0-41C0-8C67-A60CF285F793.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Got to video chat with granddaughter #3 today. They were heading to a church brunch. She wanted to let me know that she picked out the Princess dress I made for her. She even gave me a twirl. Makes this Nana heart soar!! I got some pictures tonight with her momma telling me granddaughter was telling everyone that it was made by her Nana. 😍

Latest posts

Back