Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you not have a way to clean some of the snow before it collects too much? I have seen some with a climbing rope attached to the roof and they "cut" the snow with it so it comes down like a small avalanche before it gets too heavy. My wife came home one day and parked the car in front of the house, got out and came in, as she shut the house door, she heard a huge crashing sound and went back out. The vibration of her shutting the door caused an avalanche onto the car and the snow crushed the hood and roof of the car. About one and a half tons of snow came down at once. I had to dig it out, open the hood and punch out the huge dent and then get inside the car and push the roof back out with my feet while lying in the seats...
It's not snow, it's solid ice. We have a very steep roof and the top of the roof melts and then freezes up on the eves. I've tried raking the snow off but it doesn't do any good. Until it warms up here the ice is stuck solid. Sometimes it builds up to about 3 feet thick before it falls. This summer I'm going to build a roof over the back beck. That should solve the problem.

What’s a good .30 for a beginner deer hunter?

Easy answer - One that you have practiced with and can think like the movie “The Deerhunter”, one chance, one shot.
Doesn’t matter the caliber, even though you may have researched. I try to think that way with a 22, 12g birdshot at ducks or turkey, or 12g slugs at at deer.
I admit I have a couple more newer calibers that I need to practice with to feel that confident.
Hope this helps.

Got the rest of the workshop finished just in time for some more rain...Here is outside and inside now:
1673876057117.jpeg

1673876096775.jpeg

Easy answer - One that you have practiced with and can think like the movie “The Deerhunter”, one chance, one shot.
Doesn’t matter the caliber, even though you may have researched. I try to think that way with a 22, 12g birdshot at ducks or turkey, or 12g slugs at at deer.
I admit I have a couple more newer calibers that I need to practice with to feel that confident.
Hope this helps.
Well for Illinois, we have to use at least a .30 for deer. I wasn’t sure if I’d like to get a 30/30 or a 30-06

What’s a good .30 for a beginner deer hunter?
What do you mean by ".30"? Do you mean 30-30, 30-06, .308? All are excellent deer rifles, but in my opinion the 30-30 is the best choice, unless you'll be shooting at over 200 yards. Then I'd go with a 30-06 or a .270. All will take elk and bear too.

Oh, honey. You moved from NYC to Illinois? You should have moved to IN. Illinois is almost as nuts as NYC.
Only Chicago and surrounding. May be Springfield. Morgan county was pretty conservative and the rest of the state bled red 25 yrs ago.

In southern/central Illinois if he his hunting Public land, they do many of them on a daily draw. You go and sit in spot 14 all day. Usually fairly wooded areas.

If he is hunting Private land, usually very large fields, 100-400 Acres. Farmers and landowners are reluctant to give permission except for their family. Even with clients and farmers for neighbors (farmers live 20 miles from the farm??? In the city???) I never could gain access to the areas with 240lb bucks.
Good hunting there, just could never access the best areas.

Latest posts

Back