Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never done the cucmber mint jam. I did look up what others suggested using it on. One said it was so sweet she thought "my family will love it as syrup and stir it into drinks." IDK about that. I've never been a mint drinker. Others suggested glaze on grilled lamb chops & salmon. I would try it on lamb just not sure on Salmon. Trying to help you out, but not finding a lot of suggestions. Seems like some love it though.
Maybe on lamb it would be good. I was surprised it was pretty tart, too. I don't know if I just added too much lemon juice, but the tartness and sugar completely overwhelm the cucumber to me.

Oh well, it was either that or more pickles and there are only so many pickles I can eat anyway!

I finally got more chicken gizzards canned tonight.....they were still ice cold in fridge with some ice chips still on them so they were good. I was afraid to wait another day. Had to take off at 2:30 today to take larry to doctor, there til 5, errands on way home, take care of chickens when got home. By time I got everything done, it was 11:43 pm and I'm just now coming upstairs after taking the pints out of canner. Got 12 pints..double stacked them and filled extra pints with water to fill the top layer canner up. I'm whooped, but got er done! 🤪

I just have to wonder the why?? On purpose for canning failures? It's been 5% for how many years and now all of sudden. Sorry I have questions in my head now. After seeing what happened during Covid and the big depopulation the elites want, you have to question. I don't know for a fact and have no evidence, just questions, but would imagine that people who are canners, that actually raise their own to prevent all the preservatives in the commercial products would also be the ones who questioned the safety of the jab.
Well apparently I was not the only one who questioned this theory. Ran a cross this today. Starts at 2:50 mark.

https://www.brighteon.com/205b7c6d-692c-443d-b4d6-3e69d31b22d4

I don't know what y'all pay for ball canning jars but here is price today for pint size (wide mouth) at winn Dixie! More than the quart size (which was too high for me). $18.29 for pints, $17.99 for quarts. ??

Attachments

• 20230722_114950.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230722_114935.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
I don't know what y'all pay for ball canning jars but here is price today for pint size (wide mouth) at winn Dixie! More than the quart size (which was too high for me). $18.29 for pints, $17.99 for quarts. ??
Not that high here yet, but family out east have been paying that for awhile.

I think I am going to switch to off brand jars at least for water bath. I found good reviews on these:

https://www.bottlestore.com/industr...anning-jars-wholesale/jelly-and-jam-jars.html
I think I'll order a single case and see got they do. If they work, I'll order more.

Azure Standard just started their own line of canning jars, they come in a full cardboard box for storage, and the best part is they are cheap. $12 for pints/ $15.50 for quarts plus the 8% drop fee. I think I'll get some to try.

I'm so tired from canning the past few days. I don't know how you do it, @Cindyd

But every time I am tempted to complain, I try to stop myself and just give thanks to God that we have food!

Our company just started doing canning jars too and I get a 10% discount normally. If it happens to be a partner appreciation, I get more and those days happen more often now. Wide mouth quarts are $12.47 Wide-mouth Pint $12.46. I know thats kinda humorous. But I do get a discount. How they do, I don't know yet, but I will let you know. I am just in awe that we have our own brand now!

Azure Standard just started their own line of canning jars, they come in a full cardboard box for storage, and the best part is they are cheap. $12 for pints/ $15.50 for quarts plus the 8% drop fee. I think I'll get some to try.

I'm so tired from canning the past few days. I don't know how you do it, @Cindyd

But every time I am tempted to complain, I try to stop myself and just give thanks to God that we have food!
Gonna check into this! Thank you!

As of now, the Ball canning jars at wally world are very close in price, just under the Azure prices listed and i don't have to pay shipping. I looked at the bulk canning link and whoooaaah! haa...gonna take a pass as I can't use that many more jars. This morning I canned a 20 lb. box of chicken livers from the last order I got and that equated to 7 quarts and what was left over (I think about 5 lb) I am cookig up for dinner with onions and rice for everyone. My canner only hold 7 quarts, or I can double stack and get 19 pints. I discovered this morning I am out of pint canning jars! I have one more 20 lb box of livers to can but I am putting a new order for more tomorrow. I only usually have time to can on the weekends. Once in a blue I can squeeze in some canning on a weeknight if I quit work early enough.

I saw this video today & there is so many thing’s wrong with it, but I did like the idea of just ordering rubber gaskets to use on normal canning jar lids when yours do wear out. Yes I am one that has used a water bath sealed lid more than once just fine. They won’t last forever though.

https://www.brighteon.com/959402b6-97bb-4993-8e2a-9a9debd8af91
This is where you can order and they are pretty cheap for 100. Price varies on size.

https://canninglids.com/product-category/replacement-gaskets/

I saw this video today & there is so many thing’s wrong with it, but I did like the idea of just ordering rubber gaskets to use on normal canning jar lids when yours do wear out. Yes I am one that has used a water bath sealed lid more than once just fine. They won’t last forever though.

This is where you can order and they are pretty cheap for 100. Price varies on size.

Thanks! I didn't know you could use the rubber gaskets with regular lids!

I'm beat. Remember when I was complaining nothing did well in the garden? I guess I spoke too soon.

I spent the day putting up all sorts of things. I tried pineapple zucchini but I haven't been brave enough to taste it yet. We finally got peas and the corn rightesd itself enough to give us plenty of sweet corn! I'm still waiting to see what happens with the grain corn.

After SHTF anything you Can, will be used up in a few months. Those are all you need.

It's late, I'm tired, and this may be obvious, but what do you mean?

Are you saying you're not planning to keep canning after shtf?

Being able to can for a short time will be whats needed. From one crop season to the next. After you butcher a big game animal. Deer, cow, hog. Anything that allows you to Can for less than a year will be useful.

Being able to can for a short time will be whats needed. From one crop season to the next. After you butcher a big game animal. Deer, cow, hog. Anything that allows you to Can for less than a year will be useful.
Ah! I get it. Thanks. (The coffee had worn off last night. This morning it is coursing strong through the veins! 😆)

Ah! I get it. Thanks. (The coffee had worn off last night. This morning it is coursing strong through the veins! 😆)

Yes, of course I think you get it but let me just state the obvious for those who might not. Please forgive me if this is "mansplaining" LOL.

What we can right now isn't needed to keep us alive now. We can run down to the supermarket all year long and buy food today to eat today. But when there are no more supermarkets, we'll have seasons (harvest season, hunting season) when there is food available then that won't be available during other seasons. So it has to be preserved for those other seasons. It's a one year cycle normally (unless there is a flood, tornado, drought, fire, etc.) so you normally only need the canned food to last less than a year.

As an aside...

There is one food source that will be available all year long - fish. I suppose I might can some fish, but being able to get it any time of the year, I'm not sure I need to.

Now that I have a fishing spot on my own property, I plan to work on becoming a much better angler so that I can properly tap that source...beginning next week!

Latest posts

Back