Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Canbed 6 more Quarts of mixed variety of tomatoes from garden, 7 quarts of Ground beef, 9 pints of ground turkey today.

Canning potatoes tomorrow, maybe some more beans, and gonna dehydrate some herbs.
What kind of shelving do you use for your canned items? I just realized mine is bowing and I'll need some new ones.

I have pretty strong, wood, built in shelving in large portion of my downstairs living area. Normally, one would put pictures, or other decor to show on the shelves. I use the space to put my canning. They are filled top and bottom, and closed cabinets on the bottom row, which are pretty deep. Shelves are holding up well. Something I have thought is when we have company (which is rare), everyone can see a lot of the canned food. It sort of fits a "farmhouse" decor, but probably not a good idea for all to see the food one has stocked up. I also have it stashed on wooden bookshelves in laundry room, portable metal shelving tucked back in nooks n cranny areas out of they way. I put a window air unit in an outside building with intent to relocate everything out there, but that ended up getting stuffed with large file cabinets, supplies like TP, paper towels, medical supplies, and other miscellaneous supplies, including my empty canning jars n lids.
Running out of room!

I have pretty strong, wood, built in shelving in large portion of my downstairs living area. Normally, one would put pictures, or other decor to show on the shelves. I use the space to put my canning. They are filled top and bottom, and closed cabinets on the bottom row, which are pretty deep. Shelves are holding up well. Something I have thought is when we have company (which is rare), everyone can see a lot of the canned food. It sort of fits a "farmhouse" decor, but probably not a good idea for all to see the food one has stocked up. I also have it stashed on wooden bookshelves in laundry room, portable metal shelving tucked back in nooks n cranny areas out of they way. I put a window air unit in an outside building with intent to relocate everything out there, but that ended up getting stuffed with large file cabinets, supplies like TP, paper towels, medical supplies, and other miscellaneous supplies, including my empty canning jars n lids.
Running out of room!
I'm not sure we can add support to the shelves I have, and I'm Turing to decide if we should build some heavy duty ones or use the metal ones we had at our old place.

But I know what you mean about the food being visible. I don't have much of a way to hide ours the way or house is. But I console myself with the fact that we're homebodies and don't bring many folks into our home!

I'm not sure we can add support to the shelves I have, and I'm Turing to decide if we should build some heavy duty ones or use the metal ones we had at our old place.

But I know what you mean about the food being visible. I don't have much of a way to hide ours the way or house is. But I console myself with the fact that we're homebodies and don't bring many folks into our home!
Any way of hanging a curtain ( we have material called block out, which reduces the light ) over the shelves , this would help the shelf life of the contents , would also cut down heat in summer time , getting to the jars

Any way of hanging a curtain ( we have material called block out, which reduces the light ) over the shelves , this would help the shelf life of the contents , would also cut down heat in summer time , getting to the jars
I put dark sheets over mine

I just had my Son pick up order for 40 lbs chicken livers and 40 lb gizzards...he gets food wholesale price still from his former employer...I am going to can all if it this weekend primarily for dogs food stockpile. I am assuming you can chicken livers same as other chicken meat...nothing extra special about it? I found video on canning gizzards (nothing special or different about that)... but none on canning the livers..
I plan on cold pack and can for 90 minutes for quarts? Or 75 for pints like all other meats. Anything special or different I need to know for chicken livers?

I just had my Son pick up order for 40 lbs chicken livers and 40 lb gizzards...he gets food wholesale price still from his former employer...I am going to can all if it this weekend primarily for dogs food stockpile. I am assuming you can chicken livers same as other chicken meat...nothing extra special about it? I found video on canning gizzards (nothing special or different about that)... but none on canning the livers..
I plan on cold pack and can for 90 minutes for quarts? Or 75 for pints like all other meats. Anything special or different I need to know for chicken livers?
That's the timing I would use.

No. You’ve got it covered Cindy! Good idea too!

Well, I screwed around and didn't have my canner lid on flush...got 7 qrtz gizzards in canner, put jiggler on and steam is coming outside the lid in various areas....won't get up past 230 degrees. I turned burner off...gonna let temp drop back down and steam out, fix the lid and I guess I'll start it back over...ugggghhh! I can't believe I did that! If I ruin this batch for the dogs stockpile, at least I won't lose sleep...but it's a PIA due to time wasted!

Only thing about the All American canner 921...the lid can be a bit tricky getting it flush on the canner, but I usually get it right. This time I guess I was in too big of a hurry.

Well, I screwed around and didn't have my canner lid on flush...got 7 qrtz gizzards in canner, put jiggler on and steam is coming outside the lid in various areas....won't get up past 230 degrees. I turned burner off...gonna let temp drop back down and steam out, fix the lid and I guess I'll start it back over...ugggghhh! I can't believe I did that! If I ruin this batch for the dogs stockpile, at least I won't lose sleep...but it's a PIA due to time wasted!

Only thing about the All American canner 921...the lid can be a bit tricky getting it flush on the canner, but I usually get it right. This time I guess I was in too big of a hurry.
It won't be ruined if you reprocess as soon as you can safely replace the lid

Got 7 more qrtz of gizzards done today (14 for the weekend)..i'll start on the livers later this week. I actually have 45 lbs of the chicken livers. I will likely buy more as I think the livers and gizzards are very cost effective for the dogs and better for them than most other dog food (mix in brown rice, little dry kibble, scrambled eggs, sweet potatoes or peas n carrots, stretches it out).

And I like chicken livers and rice myself!

The gizzards were $30 for 41 lbs. And livers were $26 and change for 45 lbs.

Takes time but I think I paid $2.76 for 1lb. Of chicken livers at grocery last time I bought them there. X'S That by 45 lb. I'll take the buying it wholesale and canning it myself.

Got 7 more qrtz of gizzards done today (14 for the weekend)..i'll start on the livers later this week. I actually have 45 lbs of the chicken livers. I will likely buy more as I think the livers and gizzards are very cost effective for the dogs and better for them than most other dog food (mix in brown rice, little dry kibble, scrambled eggs, sweet potatoes or peas n carrots, stretches it out).

And I like chicken livers and rice myself!

The gizzards were $30 for 41 lbs. And livers were $26 and change for 45 lbs.

Takes time but I think I paid $2.76 for 1lb. Of chicken livers at grocery last time I bought them there. X'S That by 45 lb. I'll take the buying it wholesale and canning it myself.
I would even concidering doing some 1/2 pint jars for adding into stuffings.

IDK if this is true, but its worth checking the label on your vinegar.

IMG_0245.jpeg

Latest posts

Back