Liquid fuel vs. propane bottles for lanterns and cook stoves

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Liquid fuel vs. propane bottles for lanterns and cook stoves

I’m new to this website and just thought I’d throw in my two-cents worth. I have noticed on most prepper websites there is a general disdain for “white-gas” lanterns and cook stoves. I have been using Coleman lanterns and stoves for decades. (I guess I just leaked my age as a ole coot, LOL!) I truly believe that liquid fuel light and cook sources are a better option for prepping. Here’s my reasons why:

1) A double mantle Coleman gas lantern will provide you with about 40 hours of BRIGHT light per gallon of gas. If you need light 4 hours per day, one gallon will work for 10 days. Cost at Walmart is $7.64 for one gallon of Crown White Gas Camp Fuel. One gallon of gas for a 2 burner Coleman gas stove will provide about the same time. In order to achieve 40 hours of operation with 1 lb. propane bottles, that will require a case of 6 bottles at a cost of $45.00. Both Walmart, AND Amazon are sold out! Propane lanterns and stoves are easier to light but, much less effective when they are operated in cold temperatures. White gas is slightly different to light, not harder, just different. And, white gas is not effected by cold temperatures. One other positive note is that Coleman gas lanterns put out a LOT of heat!

2) Many people will be concerned about carbon monoxide Anything that burns is going to give off CO. The there will be no difference in CO between propane and gas lanterns and stoves. Millions of homes have gas cooking ranges that are used daily with no ill effect. You just have to use common sense. When I was kid, we had a power outage that lasted about 4 days. My Dad got out Coleman lantern and stove to use in our house. The lantern was shuffled between the living room and kitchen while cooking. Although inconvenient, we had plenty of light and hot food. No one got sick or suffered with CO due to the size of the house and limited daily use.

3) The older Coleman lanterns and stoves are a MUCH HIGHER QUALITY than what is available new. I have found good serviceable lanterns and stoves at garage sales and antique shops. I have purchased lanterns and stoves on eBay that were reasonably priced and just like new. HOWEVER, over the last two years the prices on Coleman Lanterns has skyrocketed! A run-of-the-mill Coleman 220 Lantern used to cost about $20. Now, they are selling for $75+ with some collectible ones selling for several hundred dollars. Coleman gas stoves are still pretty reasonable as most people want propane. I outfitted all three of my kids families with multiple lanterns and stoves for their prepper/camping needs. My son-in-law wanted nothing to do with a gas lanterns, He felt they were dangerous and outdated, UNTIL my daughter used hers on a desert camping trip. Now, he uses that lantern all the time and really likes it. He doesn’t have to deal with empty propane bottles and 1 gallon of Crown Fuel take up a lot less space.

4) Solar is wonderful but costly and bulky compared to gas lanterns. I use solar on some of my HAM equipment.

Mantles; yes they are delicate and have to be changed periodically. If your lantern doesn’t get banged around and is treated with the same respect you would give a kerosene lamp, your mantles should last quite a while. I have had mantles in my lanterns that were a couple years old but, had only been used 4-5 times in that period and were still good. The new Coleman mantles are pretty crappy and VERY DELICATE. The best mantles are available on eBay; PEERLESS MANTLES PART # 2C-HG w/ THORIUM FORMULA REPLACES COLEMAN #21 MANTLES. I think they come out of Canada. They have a mildly radioactive element of Thorium. That’s the reason Coleman doesn’t make them any more. The thorium mantles are stronger and brighter than any other. I recommend having a dozen or so with your stash if you use Coleman Gas Lanterns.

Fuel Longevity: I strongly recommend the Crown Camp Stove Fuel as you don’t want your stove to quit during an emergency. You can get Crown fuel at Walmart and many other places. It’s about 1/2 the price of regular Coleman fuel. It’s the SAME STUFF however. I talked about shelf life of Crown/Coleman fuel earlier. Expect a sealed gallon CAN to last at least 7 years. I have used “open” can fuel that was at least 15 years old and stored in my unheated garage and it worked fine! Just for info, Coleman states that their fuel in a sealed can has a shelf life of 7 years. From personal experience, I have used Coleman fuel from a previously opened can that was at least 15 years old and it worked the same as fresh fuel. At least I couldn’t tell any difference. Since it is nearly pure naptha, without the additives of regular gasoline, shelf like is MUCH longer. Although, not as long a propane. This should help answer questions:

https://thecampstove.com/shelf-life-coleman-camp-fuel/
P.S.
Coleman kerosene lanterns are available again. They only make these sporadically and haven't been available for quite a while. Buy from Coleman direct for $119 and free shipping. I highly recommend these lanterns. However, these burn KEROSENE, not Coleman/Crown/White Gas. They are among the brightest lanterns Coleman ever made. Coleman recently bumped their price to $129. https://www.coleman.com/lighting/lan...tionPoint=Show

Kerosene will store for years. Much longer than most any other liquid fuel. Use 1K kerosene. Kleen-Strip is a mixture of something else. For white gas substitute, use Crown Camp Fuel. It's a lower cost version of Coleman/White gas fuel. Buy from Walmart ON LINE! In store is couple bucks more. On line is cheaper. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crown-Whi...allon/51741744

Last edited:
got a collection of Coleman products myself - got a few of the infamous catalytic heaters and the single stroke camp stoves ....

in regard to the lantern mantles - key to keeping them whole is a lantern storage case - the poly Coleman ones are rare and now $$$ antiques - 5 gallon bucket works OK with shock absorber packing ....

I believe in buying the cheaper mantles and buying bulk - they make a good stocking item for bartering >>> buy from a local mass distributor/importer >>> Mantles ....

in regard to the "white gas" fuel - I have factory "Coleman" fuel stored 5 gallon safety cans - have used old fuel over 20+ years old without problems - always use a series of funnel filters - last being a recommended factory filter for filling lantern/stove tanks ....

I also plan on using regular gasoline - the 3rd World uses it exclusively - the lead & impurities build-up are dissolved using carburetor cleaner - keep a supply of re-build parts on hand ....

For my Coleman burners i'm using since years alkylate gasoline. Absolutly no problems with it and a lot cheaper than Coleman fuel.
By example: Coleman fuel is around 22$ by litre. Alkylate gasoline is by 18$ to 30$ by 5 litres. The alkylate gasoline i'm using comes from the local farmer shop and the 5 litre can costs me 18$.

The good thing is gasoline burners working very well even it's cold or i'm in the mountains. Gas looses efficiency when it goes colder.

The good thing is gasoline burners working very well even it's cold or i'm in the mountains. Gas looses efficiency when it goes colder.
True, but in our climate down south it rarely gets cold enough to matter. I have on occasion poured hot water on the propane tank to raise the pressure a bit.

I like the convenience of propane. I've got a 500 gallon tank for the house; water heat, cooking and backup furnace. And a 250 gallon propane tank for the well pump and pump house heater. Also have several 5, 7 and 35 gallon propane tanks for the BBQ and shop heater.
The first cabin I ever built I used propane for lights, cooking, heating water and refrigeration.

Simple, I use both. The Colman liquid fuel stove and lanterns are duel fuel so they will run on gasoline. Then I also have propane lanterns and stove. Guess I have 8 or 9 grill size LP tanks. Years past I tried to re-fuel the one pound LP bottles and that worked once or twice, then they changed the valves and the refilled bottles would all leak out? At garage sales I am always on the lookout for Colman camping gear, easy to repair and great barter material.

I hope most of you know that there is a adaptor available that lets you fill 1 pound bottles off a larger bulk propane tank. Put the smaller tank in the freezer first. As near as I can tell propane is the best fuel for your generator. A lot of energy in a small space. Diesel is safe and cheap (at least it was) but at very cold temperatures it tends to gel. Coleman was a great American company. They sold out to China. That was the fad, build a great product, Sell your name and your soul to China. A very few get very rich. China sells us very cheap fake Coleman Products. China ends up with US dollars, and we buy garbage.

I have no idea if this is true. I thought I read somewhere that the new 1lb propane bottles have a new style valve that prevents filling off of a larger bulk propane tank.. Can anyone confirm that is true? Would be very helpful for propane users.

I have done this hundreds of times. It would no surprise me at all if some company installed a valve to maximize their profits under the name of "safety".

Cost analysis said it's cheaper to use Coleman fuel than propane. Been collecting Coleman for quite a while and have accumulated a lot of USA made. Parts are still easy to find and available though prices are going up. Check flea markets and yard sales for older Coleman stoves and lanterns. If nothing else keep it for parts for other projects.

You are as usual, correct. However in a survival situation you may not be able to get Coleman fuel. Your 1000 pound (800pounds usable) propane tank may last for years.

I hope most of you know that there is a adaptor available that lets you fill 1 pound bottles off a larger bulk propane tank.

Cost analysis said it's cheaper to use Coleman fuel than propane. Been collecting Coleman for quite a while and have accumulated a lot of USA made. Parts are still easy to find and available though prices are going up. Check flea markets and yard sales for older Coleman stoves and lanterns. If nothing else keep it for parts for other projects.

I don't use the bottles. I have a hose that connects the small devices to a tank.
And as far as cost analysis...
Walmart sells Coleman fuel for $14.24 per gallon. Current price.
Tractor Supply sells propane for $3.99 per gallon. Current price.

This was before fuel prices increased. I actually converted a stove and lantern to run on pump gas. Just swap out the valve and generator for the duel fuel for the corresponding model.

I don't use the bottles. I have a hose that connects the small devices to a tank.
And as far as cost analysis...
Walmart sells Coleman fuel for $14.24 per gallon. Current price.
Tractor Supply sells propane for $3.99 per gallon. Current price.

And I get my propane right now for $3.60 gallon. I'm glad I topped off all my tanks at $3.10 gallon, last year. Propane is your best value.

You are as usual, correct. However in a survival situation you may not be able to get Coleman fuel. Your 1000 pound (800pounds usable) propane tank may last for years.

regular fuel is perfectly OK - just takes more maintenance than using the napha fuel >>> you want as many choices for cooking, lighting and heating as you can acquire - when it's below freezing the non-propane is the way to go for reliability .....

Latest posts

Back