Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IDK if this is true, but its worth checking the label on your vinegar.

View attachment 20299
I suspect that it dropped below 5% even before the label reflected it. I make pickles and noticed that the vinegar just wasn't as strong as it used to be. So I started buying food grade 30% and mixing up my own.

I suspect that it dropped below 5% even before the label reflected it. I make pickles and noticed that the vinegar just wasn't as strong as it used to be. So I started buying food grade 30% and mixing up my own.
I haven't needed to buy vinegar for a while now. Just checked. . I have 9 gallons on hand. Did you just start noticing the less acidity this year or last?

I checked mine and it was at 5%. Wife uses it mostly for her cast iron.
What peaked my interest was the Food Club label, store brand. I worked for a chain that sold that label

I just have to wonder the why?? On purpose for canning failures? It's been 5% for how many years and now all of sudden. Sorry I have questions in my head now. After seeing what happened during Covid and the big depopulation the elites want, you have to question. I don't know for a fact and have no evidence, just questions, but would imagine that people who are canners, that actually raise their own to prevent all the preservatives in the commercial products would also be the ones who questioned the safety of the jab.

I haven't needed to buy vinegar for a while now. Just checked. . I have 9 gallons on hand. Did you just start noticing the less acidity this year or last?
Actually it was a number of years ago, I can't remember when. Another thing I used vinegar for was cleaning dirty brass cases for reloading. I noticed that they weren't getting clean anymore with white vinegar and switched to using apple cider vinegar. Then I noticed some brands worked better than others even though they were all supposedly the same strength.

I just have to wonder the why?? On purpose for canning failures? It's been 5% for how many years and now all of sudden. Sorry I have questions in my head now. After seeing what happened during Covid and the big depopulation the elites want, you have to question. I don't know for a fact and have no evidence, just questions, but would imagine that people who are canners, that actually raise their own to prevent all the preservatives in the commercial products would also be the ones who questioned the safety of the jab.
I dont think its meant to be nefarious, just store brand saving 1%.
Most people use it for cleaning now days. There aren’t many canners left in the general population.
I checked with my wife for her cast iron restoration. She said she would use a 60/40 mix rather than 50/50. It’s still strong enough to eat through plastic buckets over time.

I feel guilty, no canning or dehydrating, or vacuum sealing anything this weekend...had to mow several acres yesterday, still got few more acres to do, plus errands yesterday and other things and I worked 3 hrs. Yesterday morning at regular job..today I was worthless. I even took a nap which I almost never do. I pulled other 20 lb. Of gizzards I had in freezer out to thaw yesterday eve in fridge but likely not gonna get canned today before bedtime..maybe I'll get a second wind early tomorrow morn before I start work. Aaaargg!

I feel guilty, no canning or dehydrating, or vacuum sealing anything this weekend...had to mow several acres yesterday, still got few more acres to do, plus errands yesterday and other things and I worked 3 hrs. Yesterday morning at regular job..today I was worthless. I even took a nap which I almost never do. I pulled other 20 lb. Of gizzards I had in freezer out to thaw yesterday eve in fridge but likely not gonna get canned today before bedtime..maybe I'll get a second wind early tomorrow morn before I start work. Aaaargg!

You needed a break! Don’t be so hard on yourself.

I put up several more batches of pickles and jams today. I tried a new recipe- cucumber mint.

It is awful. Hopefully the kids like it, but I don't know how anyone could. Yuck!
I've never done the cucmber mint jam. I did look up what others suggested using it on. One said it was so sweet she thought "my family will love it as syrup and stir it into drinks." IDK about that. I've never been a mint drinker. Others suggested glaze on grilled lamb chops & salmon. I would try it on lamb just not sure on Salmon. Trying to help you out, but not finding a lot of suggestions. Seems like some love it though.

Latest posts

Back