Canning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched a video with lady showing her pantry of canned foods. Her and hubby eat what she cans. She said her and her husband go through average 22 jars of what she cans per week, 1,100 per year. She cans MOSTLY in pint size. Her inventory for upcoming year was a little over1,300 jars.

Counting what she gives as gifts she said she was "ok" with having that amt. For now.

I think it's @growandpreserve (youtube) but can't recall her name. I like her videos pretty good. I need to get mine organized like hers!
My inventory is in such disarray. I've run out of room so now I have boxes in closets and floors, etc.

I watched a video with lady showing her pantry of canned foods. Her and hubby eat what she cans. She said her and her husband go through average 22 jars of what she cans per week, 1,100 per year. She cans MOSTLY in pint size. Her inventory for upcoming year was a little over1,300 jars.

Counting what she gives as gifts she said she was "ok" with having that amt. For now.

I think it's @growandpreserve (youtube) but can't recall her name. I like her videos pretty good. I need to get mine organized like hers!
That’s a lot of canning!! We canned 14 quarts of chili and 16 pints of beef chucks over the weekend and I thought that was a lot. Gave 4 quarts of chili to our daughter, the rest on basement shelves. Canned 36 pints of tomatoes from the end of the season 2 weeks ago. My father and grandmother would be shocked that we can. I wish they were still around for me to say thank you, and to ask a hundred questions to about being self sufficient.

I made 36.5 half pints of hot pepper jelly.

Attachments

• 20231121_123328.jpg
    20231121_123328.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I canned 11 pints of pineapple today (Waterbath). Used a few lids from prior canning use. They all sealed though. Ignore the old dishtowel I sat the jars on..lol

I would have canned more but this was first time canning pineapple. I only bought 5..had some left over which we've been snacking on cold, fresh.

Attachments

• 20231210_151619.jpg
    20231210_151619.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I canned 11 pints of pineapple today (Waterbath). Used a few lids from prior canning use. They all sealed though. Ignore the old dishtowel I sat the jars on..lol

I would have canned more but this was first time canning pineapple. I only bought 5..had some left over which we've been snacking on cold, fresh.
I reuse my lids. Mostly for pickles and kraut. They don't make them like they used to. The box says 18 months and I have some green beans that are 10 years old and perfectly sealed.

I managed to get 7 qrts. chicken livers, 7 qrt. gizzards, 7 qrt. potatoes, 7 qrt. ground turkey and the last batch I have in the canner now is 12 wide mouth pints of boneless, skinless chicken breast. Left one big fat breast out to cook for dinner.

28 qrts and 12 pints put away is a marathon for me! I've got 20 lb. of frozen corn I am going to try and knock out maybe one night this week after work, if I can stay up long enough to see it through.

Have any of you pressure canned Brussel sprouts? All videos I can find on those are pickled...and one that is not, the video sucks and can't hear the volume on it...very poor quality made, not worth watching for me. I guess I can order the ball canning book and see of it's in there. Anyone that has it, can you share if brussell sprouts are listed in the book?

Have any of you pressure canned Brussel sprouts? All videos I can find on those are pickled...and one that is not, the video sucks and can't hear the volume on it...very poor quality made, not worth watching for me. I guess I can order the ball canning book and see of it's in there. Anyone that has it, can you share if brussell sprouts are listed in the book?

You can. They would probably be mushy. Cut them in half beforeyou do. What about freeze drying them? What's wrong with pickling?

Pick them right after a frost of freeze, they'll be sweater. Not as bitter. The pressure canner will make them stronger and more bitter.

Thought about it last week. Chose asparagus instead. Wife is doing everything small batch to learn
When we decide what worked and we liked, then full steam ahead.

It just a new thing to put into the food equation beside precanned

I've pressure canned asparagus and it's great! I love both, but other than mother and I, the rest around here are split, either love asparagus and hate Brussel sprouts, or vicie/vercie, so I'd like to have some of each.

Personally, I'm sticking to my carnivore diet as long as I can, but I love veggies and if SHTF I'm sure I may have to fall off the wagon and eat me some veggies. I Love Brussel sprouts.
Only veg I won't likely can is okra🤮. But I do like it fresh and fried, rolled only in cornmeal.

Can what you all like, and know you will eat....then yes! " Full steam ahead"! 😋

🖐️ Another Brussel Sprout lover here! Brussel Sprouts like Lima Beans taste very different according to how they are prepared. Hubby didn’t eat either one until I prepared them properly to his taste. By adding ingredients like maple syrup, bacon, soy sauce, or Parmesan cheese they can be very tasty!

Latest posts

Back