Liquid fuel vs. propane bottles for lanterns and cook stoves

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two portable stove from my Scouting days.
I have two oil lamps, a kerosene lamp, 240 candles(6" X 3/4").
The candles are discounted after passover every year, you can get them for a song.
A gas grill & a charcoal grill.
No propane lanterns, but I do have battery lights & fire kits.

After electricity goes down (all my indoor cooking appliances at BOL are electric), we have a 2-burner propane stove, a wood burning pot belly stove on the porch (bricks underneath and behind it), our regular charcoal grill, a 2-burner propane Camp Chef Oven and of course a huge outdoor fire pit with cast iron cooking platform/swing arm/spit whenever propane and charcoal run out. Lots of free wood on the property at our BOL. Unfortunately we don't have a wood splitter/chopper. :(

Gas Grill, Camp stove with 8 1lb bottles, antique Griswold 2 burner stove. 4 20lb propane cylinders. Fittings that I can hook into the 1000 gal propane tank.
Wood burning smoker with lots of oak.

I think I got it covered

@Buttoni some one here got a manual hydraulic wood splitter inexpensively . Either @Robinjopo1 or @Amish Heart
edited Tagged Robin or Amish so whomever it was can chime in.

Last edited:
@Buttoni some one here got a manual hydraulic wood splitter inexpensively . Either Robin or Amish
I just watched this video on a SunJo and read a lot of the reviews on it (Amazon) and it looks adequate. One reviewer said his 6 y.o. son uses it easily, although I wouldn't think a 6 y.o. could manage those levers, since the adult man in the video exerted a fair amount of force on them at first. Sorry, the link isn't coming in nicely for me tonight. Copy/pasted part of the page:

1660004601270.png

I've had two rotator cuff surgeries on both shoulders and my husband has had one, coupled with a torn/repaired upper arm muscle. So we're not as able to chop wood traditionally as we once were. Thanks for stirring me to look, at least. I thought they were all $400-500 dollars and didn't even go look at them. $169 isn't cheap, but in the grander scheme of things, and the possibility of re-tearing our shoulders chopping wood, probably ana acceptable cost, especially when medical care might not be available anywhere, .......and that's just not an option. ;)

Last edited:
I just watched this video on a SunJo and read a lot of the reviews on it (Amazon) and it looks adequate. One reviewer said his 6 y.o. son uses it easily, although I wouldn't think a 6 y.o. could manage those levers, since the adult man in the video exerted a fair amount of force on them at first. Sorry, the link isn't coming in nicely for me tonight. Copy/pasted part of the page:

View attachment 17058

I've had two rotator cuff surgeries on both shoulders and my husband has had one, coupled with a torn/repaired upper arm muscle. So we're not as able to chop wood traditionally as we once were. Thanks for stirring me to look, at least. I thought they were all $400-500 dollars and didn't even go look at them. $169 isn't cheap, but in the grander scheme of things, and the possibility of re-tearing our shoulders chopping wood, probably ana acceptable cost, especially when medical care might not be available anywhere, .......and that's just not an option. ;)

I think they had gotten a HF one for $20 less. Just trying to give you an option and way to look at things.
Edit. I know not everyone has 1k for a log splitter

Last edited:

View attachment 17058

I couldn't imagine splitting 8 cord of firewood with one of these. It would be quicker to use a splitting maul and wedges.
I use a 36 ton hydraulic splitter.

Liquid fuel vs. propane bottles for lanterns and cook stoves

I’m new to this website and just thought I’d throw in my two-cents worth. I have noticed on most prepper websites there is a general disdain for “white-gas” lanterns and cook stoves. I have been using Coleman lanterns and stoves for decades. (I guess I just leaked my age as a ole coot, LOL!) I truly believe that liquid fuel light and cook sources are a better option for prepping. Here’s my reasons why:

1) A double mantle Coleman gas lantern will provide you with about 40 hours of BRIGHT light per gallon of gas. If you need light 4 hours per day, one gallon will work for 10 days. Cost at Walmart is $7.64 for one gallon of Crown White Gas Camp Fuel. One gallon of gas for a 2 burner Coleman gas stove will provide about the same time. In order to achieve 40 hours of operation with 1 lb. propane bottles, that will require a case of 6 bottles at a cost of $45.00. Both Walmart, AND Amazon are sold out! Propane lanterns and stoves are easier to light but, much less effective when they are operated in cold temperatures. White gas is slightly different to light, not harder, just different. And, white gas is not effected by cold temperatures. One other positive note is that Coleman gas lanterns put out a LOT of heat!

2) Many people will be concerned about carbon monoxide Anything that burns is going to give off CO. The there will be no difference in CO between propane and gas lanterns and stoves. Millions of homes have gas cooking ranges that are used daily with no ill effect. You just have to use common sense. When I was kid, we had a power outage that lasted about 4 days. My Dad got out Coleman lantern and stove to use in our house. The lantern was shuffled between the living room and kitchen while cooking. Although inconvenient, we had plenty of light and hot food. No one got sick or suffered with CO due to the size of the house and limited daily use.

3) The older Coleman lanterns and stoves are a MUCH HIGHER QUALITY than what is available new. I have found good serviceable lanterns and stoves at garage sales and antique shops. I have purchased lanterns and stoves on eBay that were reasonably priced and just like new. HOWEVER, over the last two years the prices on Coleman Lanterns has skyrocketed! A run-of-the-mill Coleman 220 Lantern used to cost about $20. Now, they are selling for $75+ with some collectible ones selling for several hundred dollars. Coleman gas stoves are still pretty reasonable as most people want propane. I outfitted all three of my kids families with multiple lanterns and stoves for their prepper/camping needs. My son-in-law wanted nothing to do with a gas lanterns, He felt they were dangerous and outdated, UNTIL my daughter used hers on a desert camping trip. Now, he uses that lantern all the time and really likes it. He doesn’t have to deal with empty propane bottles and 1 gallon of Crown Fuel take up a lot less space.

4) Solar is wonderful but costly and bulky compared to gas lanterns. I use solar on some of my HAM equipment.

Mantles; yes they are delicate and have to be changed periodically. If your lantern doesn’t get banged around and is treated with the same respect you would give a kerosene lamp, your mantles should last quite a while. I have had mantles in my lanterns that were a couple years old but, had only been used 4-5 times in that period and were still good. The new Coleman mantles are pretty crappy and VERY DELICATE. The best mantles are available on eBay; PEERLESS MANTLES PART # 2C-HG w/ THORIUM FORMULA REPLACES COLEMAN #21 MANTLES. I think they come out of Canada. They have a mildly radioactive element of Thorium. That’s the reason Coleman doesn’t make them any more. The thorium mantles are stronger and brighter than any other. I recommend having a dozen or so with your stash if you use Coleman Gas Lanterns.

Fuel Longevity: I strongly recommend the Crown Camp Stove Fuel as you don’t want your stove to quit during an emergency. You can get Crown fuel at Walmart and many other places. It’s about 1/2 the price of regular Coleman fuel. It’s the SAME STUFF however. I talked about shelf life of Crown/Coleman fuel earlier. Expect a sealed gallon CAN to last at least 7 years. I have used “open” can fuel that was at least 15 years old and stored in my unheated garage and it worked fine! Just for info, Coleman states that their fuel in a sealed can has a shelf life of 7 years. From personal experience, I have used Coleman fuel from a previously opened can that was at least 15 years old and it worked the same as fresh fuel. At least I couldn’t tell any difference. Since it is nearly pure naptha, without the additives of regular gasoline, shelf like is MUCH longer. Although, not as long a propane. This should help answer questions:

https://thecampstove.com/shelf-life-coleman-camp-fuel/
P.S.
Coleman kerosene lanterns are available again. They only make these sporadically and haven't been available for quite a while. Buy from Coleman direct for $119 and free shipping. I highly recommend these lanterns. However, these burn KEROSENE, not Coleman/Crown/White Gas. They are among the brightest lanterns Coleman ever made. Coleman recently bumped their price to $129. https://www.coleman.com/lighting/lan...tionPoint=Show

Kerosene will store for years. Much longer than most any other liquid fuel. Use 1K kerosene. Kleen-Strip is a mixture of something else. For white gas substitute, use Crown Camp Fuel. It's a lower cost version of Coleman/White gas fuel. Buy from Walmart ON LINE! In store is couple bucks more. On line is cheaper. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crown-Whi...allon/51741744
my take,,,, I prefer the white gas in normal times, but if the world goes to shit propane is king if you can store a huge supply,,,,,,,,,, white gas has a shelf life,,, propane will never go bad

Latest posts

Back