Share a knife a day till you run out of knives...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I get my little sail boat (3.5 meters long) into the water, I take my valuable knives out of my pockets and take an orange serrated one which is made especially for sailing. The serrated blade can cut through wet ropes which a straight blade can have trouble with. A hole in the grip for a short lanyard and a good grip in the blade to open it easier when your fingers are wet. All stainless steel.
IMG_0002.JPG

I've had the worst of luck keeping folding knives. I've lost two Puma folding hunters, two Gerber Silver Knights, and countless other pocket knives.
When I found out about the Uncle Henry One Year Guarantee against loss, I was all over that. I thought for sure I'd be collecting on that guarantee! I bought an Uncle Henry 885UH "King Ranch" stockman's knife somewhere around 1973. (Now they call it the "Senior Ranch")
What do you know! The guarantee actually worked! Not only did I not lose it within a year, I still have it almost 40 years later.
xLTGc7s.jpg

Opinel #8 with carbon steel blade and beechwood handle. Classic French utility folding knife...at home in the kitchen, your pocket or in the woods.
TgAZQB1.jpg

Surprisingly hardly tools, I've had mine for 17yrs at first used daily in a factory warehouse setting now it sits in my foraging bag.

I'll leaving in the morning for the BOL, so I'll post a few days worth of knives tonight. It's a series of knives that are connected.
Friday's Knife:
A small chef's/utility knife I made for my daughter. It started off life as a Chicago Cutlery knife MANY years ago. My wife bought it at a Salvation Army store, and the handle was dry rotted plastic. It had annoying serrations on it so it sat in the knife drawer a few years until I decided to do something with it.
I reshaped the blade and ground off the serrations, then replaced the handle with red oak, impregnated with virgin coconut oil.
XomWomw.jpg

Saturday's Knife:
I liked that knife so much, I decided to make something like it for myself, only longer. Taking an outline of the knife I elongated the shape, but in the process, I got some dimensions out of whack.
I didn't realize how awkward the knife was as a chef's knife until I had already profiled the blade, and then there was no going back. So instead of making a chef's knife I made a "camp knife" suitable for kitchen use at camp, but also suitable for butchering deer.
I left a good bit of steel in the blade since I envisioned doing things like splitting rib cages.
It's also good for those hard to reach spots when skinning a deer. And also suitable for whacking off squirrel legs and such, and even clearing small limbs around a deer stand. Jack of all trades but master of none kind of thing....
Blade is D2, handle is walnut.
arVDL5P.jpg

Sunday's Knife
Having failed on the last attempt, I had to go back to the drawing board for my "ideal chef's knife."
After having done a few knives out of D2, I decided I needed to use some kind of steel that was easier to work with and truly stainless (D2 is a bear to machine and sharpen and is not quite stainless) I settled on AEB-L which was designed for making stainless steel razor blades. A helluvalot easier to work with than D2, but it doesn't have the edge retention of D2. However it is easy to put a really fine razor edge on AEB-L.
Instead of just jumping right in and shaping the blade from AEB-L, I decided to make some test blades out of mild steel from Lowes. Good thing I did because I went through several iterations before I was happy with the shape.
Here is the results. The handle is spalted oak like the usuba, but I had it professionally stabilized. The blade is flat ground with a full distal taper - which works for AEB-L but would be too fragile for D2. AEB-L is extremely tough for a stainless steel, in fact it is tougher than most carbon knife steels, so you can safely make thinner blades with it. It's not heavy enough for chopping anything other than vegetables. But it is a superb slicer.
hhYYmbv.jpg

ZR77jcJ.jpg
Beautiful handle doc

Buck 107. I never really found this one useful for hunting, but it makes a great steak knife, LOL.
They actually did sell a set of them as steak knives, called the "Royalty Steak Knives" with serrated blades and red micarta handles instead of black. I gave my sister and brother in law a set of them as a wedding present. They also had a set of three different length non-serrated kitchen knives made on this pattern called the "Royalty Empress Trio."
Both the 107 and the Royalty line are collectors items now.

u4oPL1G.jpg

kiNAOFg.jpg

Now c'mon Arctic, you know you can't tease us like that and then leave us hanging...LOL.
Ok. In about '95 I had a big mule, mammoth jackĂ—Tennessee walker. I didn't have any fencing up at the time so I let my horses and mule run loose. One evening I was leading the mule up to the barn when she spooked. I dropped a couple loops of the rope as I was trying to get her under control. I stepped through one of the loops and it tightened up around my ankle. I went down and she took off running, dragging me behind. At first I thought it was kind of fun, until she went up and over an old log deck and kept going. She went out on the gravel road with me still behind. Then she turned up a ranch road, that they graveled just the day before. I got my pocket knife out, but it takes 2 hands to open it. Everytime I'd get both hands on the knife I'd start rolling and beat my face up on the road. By then my finger tips were worn off and I was about to pass out. Had one last chance left. Finally got it opened after about a mile and cut the rope, and she stopped running. I managed to get the halter off and headed home. It took probably 2 hours to find my way home between passing out and getting lost in the woods. Ruined a perfectly good pair of pants and shirt too.

Schrade Old Timer Bowie
When I started making the big Bowie for my friend, I fully intended to make one for myself too. Weeks later after much intensive labor and many expensive sanding belts, I reconsidered, LOL.
I will probably make myself a smaller Bowie, but that leaves a gap in my collection for a BIG ARSE BOWIE.
I actually had a big Bowie that I carried hunting as a small machete, but it got stolen. I finally just decided I had to get one even if it wasn't up to snuff and I never actually used it. I had to fill that slot with something.
"Schrade" and "Old Timer" used to mean something when I was growing up, but now they mean "Cheap Chinese Knives."
But Hey! It says "Old Timer"...I can pretend, can't it?
vLyv6CA.jpg

I can remember a time when Schrade and Puma were my two favorite knife manufacturers, but my Schrades were Uncle Henrys. I seem to recall that at that time the Uncle Henrys were all 440C and the Old Timers were carbon steel, which I guess is why they were called "Old Timers."

Latest posts

Back