Share a knife a day till you run out of knives...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNwr786

Demi-God
Reaction score
Something non-political and fun to do...
20200523_172743.jpg

I don't have this one, I made it for a friend. So it doesn't really count, I'm just going to throw it in as an extra.
D2 Steel, hardened to about 64 Rockwell C, Ebony coffin handle.
This was before it was finished and heat treated, I shortened the tip after this because it was too fragile.
ub5OaXc.jpg

Here is it finished. I left some of the carborized finish from the heat treat on because it looked kind of like case hardening, and helps protect the blade from corrosion.
I spent several days putting the edge on it. D2 doesn't want to take a fine edge because of the large carbide particles that tend to tear out and leave the edge ragged when you make it really sharp. Some say it won't take a fine edge. It will if you work on it long enough.
2fWzrIQ.png

P0fxI3O.jpg

Cuts both ways...
MmD2YU5.jpg

Sheath with tie down strap. The sheath is made of the thickest leather I could find online.
cqqE17G.jpg

Last edited:
Although I have already shown my two nicest knives, Robin makes a good point about not showing off preps (if this even counts as preps), so I suppose this thread should end here. I'll post one more before I leave this thread just so the intruder knows what I keep under my pillow ~ just in case they get any ideas lol.
IMG_20220328_195443545.jpg

Do I get another 100 for the sharpening rod too? ;)
Nope. That requires Arkansas translucent stone.

Edit: Ok, I'll go +20 more :) unless it is one of those edge-butchering carbide V sharpeners, those kill a blade.

Last edited:
My EDC
Civivi Naja, one of the first Civivi models but no longer in production. They have a current model called the Praxis that has a similar blade but thinner. I got the Praxis for my brothers in law for Christmas last year, and it was a hit.
I bought it as a folding skinning knife, and it works very well for that purpose, but I found that it was much easier and less obtrusive to carry EDC than I imagined.
T5RrOy2.jpg

TNHMXLg.gif

2 for 1, my reprofiled condor Sapiens and my rescued kukri, matching homemade sheaths from scrap leather.

Not the prettiest but functional.
Looks pretty to me!
I have some "ugly knives" I made that I'll get around to posting eventually. Maybe I should do the ugly knives first and save the best for last.

...I found that it was much easier and less obtrusive to carry EDC than I imagined.
I like that knife! Somewhere I have a Remington one very similar to that. I have a set of very slim knives that are barely noticeable in the pocket. With how slim they are, they are still extremely sturdy. If the blade had a more curved sweeping edge for skinning like your civivi, it would go hunting with me. It is very easy to clean...
IMG_20220329_110929074.jpg

In case you didn't realize from the picture, the Civivi Naja is flat ground which I much prefer over hollow ground. While hollow ground knives have a stiffer spine, they are weak behind the edge which can cause large chips with heavy use.
The Naja's curved spine allows enough width to have a decent amount of spine in the middle of the blade. And the extension of the ricasso (unground flat part of blade in front of the handle) extends up a ways out at the narrow part of the blade to increase the spine's strength there. A really well thought out design! I have skinned a couple of deer with it and it is an excellent skinner. There is enough drop and curvature on top near the tip so you don't accidentally snag the guts when opening the abdominal cavity.

The closest thing they have now is the Praxis. Both the blade and the handle of the Praxis are thinner than the Naja, and it has a reversible pocket clip. I guess they wanted to make it more pocket friendly. This is what I gave my brothers in law for Christmas and they love them and have already used them for skinning deer (the season goes to the end of January there).
G25VUaM.jpg

I might have to add one of those to my collection! I just went to their site, yea, I'm sold. You sure know how to pick them!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back