If the taps run dry

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the above posts on peoples plans for survival but will present another twist to the water Delima . Look around your area and size up what the average person will be facing when the pipes stop flowing . The conclusion is likely bleak especially when you consider without electricity to keep water flowing also means no fuel pumps operational , so transporting water in a vehicle will also be soon eliminated . -- For me and my tribe we have a hidden spring for fresh clean water after the nuking is done and filters for removing unwanted contaminants . The rub is though on the lower end of my property is a spring feed clear creek cascading through the mountain rocks that most of the locals are aware of . When the pipes stop flowing , I can expect a group of thirsty people to be camping there . I will not likely try to run these desperate people off but realize once their thirst is satisfied next they will be considering their hunger . That is when things may become deadly . For this scenario like my other prepping have already prepared my reaction plan . Foreseeing the future and preparing accordingly is how I operate . --- This survival topic is not for fetched and is teetering on the edge of likely as Nuking and EMP: attacks are now being discussed as becoming reality by World Leaders which of course means no electricity thus no water flowing through the pipes or fuel for vehicles ,

Last edited:
I suppose this simple arrangement for ridding seawater of salt is good for a modest cupfull or two of water per day (if the sun is shining).
The saucepan lid is transparent and is used inverted so drips can collect in the cup.
We could use a dozen or more to get more water.
And I suppose we could light a fire underneath to speed things up
Put some water in the depression.

I actually bought the components for putting in a hand-pump well from Rural King.

I also took notes from Youtube on how to drive a well.

I live in a part of Northern Florida that is renouned for its spring water.

In any case, I can't put a well in now because of the HOA, but that will--of course--be meaningless after SHTF.

My concern is that I will be trying to put my well in from videos without any actual experience, and we all know how people think that they're an expert in something just because they saw it on Youtube.

So, I may learn the hard way about the difference between theory and practice.

My concern is that I will be trying to put my well in from videos without any actual experience, and we all know how people think that they're an expert in something just because they saw it on Youtube.
And some people think they are an expert in something because they posted a video on YouTube. :rolleyes:

I actually bought the components for putting in a hand-pump well from Rural King.

In any case, I can't put a well in now because of the HOA, but that will--of course--be meaningless after SHTF.

What do you do if you run into a problem that you didn't watch on YouTube? I would go volunteer to help someone near you that's getting a well drilled and setup.

I'm sorry, but anyone living in a home that's in a HOA or such and plans to bug in there during a serious SHTF event is not a serious prepper. Your setting yourself up for many problems that you may not overcome if you stay. So plan to bug out!

What do you do if you run into a problem that you didn't watch on YouTube? I would go volunteer to help someone near you that's getting a well drilled and setup.

I'm sorry, but anyone living in a home that's in a HOA or such and plans to bug in there during a serious SHTF event is not a serious prepper. Your setting yourself up for many problems that you may not overcome if you stay. So plan to bug out!
Thank you.

Even though I'm a member of an HOA in a community, I actually live in a semi rural area.

I can actually hear roosters, donkeys, and horses in the distance when I walk my dogs in the early morning.

The people around here are conservative, mostly self-reliant, and stable. My medical experience (an ex-paramedic in RN school), and the fact that my other half is a practicing RN who works in the community has given us (I believe) a certain standing that we can trade on post SHTF.

At least that's the idea.

Thank you.

Even though I'm a member of an HOA in a community, I actually live in a semi rural area.

I can actually hear roosters, donkeys, and horses in the distance when I walk my dogs in the early morning.

The people around here are conservative, mostly self-reliant, and stable. My medical experience (an ex-paramedic in RN school), and the fact that my other half is a practicing RN who works in the community has given us (I believe) a certain standing that we can trade on post SHTF.

At least that's the idea.
Yet they still won't let you put a well on your property...

It seems nature got there first; seagulls can drink sea water because they've got inbuilt filters; and if inventors could make and patent a simple device that emulates the process they'd become millionaires overnight..:)
From the net-
"The saltwater seagulls take in is absorbed and moves through their blood stream into a pair of salt glands above their eyes. The densely salty fluid that results is excreted from the nostrils and runs down grooves in the bill. Watch a gull at the coast, and you will see drops of this liquid appear on the tip of its bill. As the drop gets larger, the bird shakes its head to send the salt back to the ocean."

salt-drip.jpg

Do you have the equipment to drill your own well?

Do you have the equipment to drill your own well?
It's a round, metal pile-driver with handles on each side.

I have a brass valve which I can put in just below the pump so I don't have to prime it.

I'm handy with tools, but I do admit that my knowledge is all theoretical.

I may decide to drive it anyway just to practice, and then pull it back up after I establish thst I can do it. I haven't decided yet.

I do plan to use my Katadyn filter, as I don't see me getting the water tested post SHTF.

It's a round, metal pile-driver with handles on each side.

I have a brass valve which I can put in just below the pump so I don't have to prime it.

I'm handy with tools, but I do admit that my knowledge is all theoretical.

I may decide to drive it anyway just to practice, and then pull it back up after I establish thst I can do it. I haven't decided yet.

I do plan to use my Katadyn filter, as I don't see me getting the water tested post SHTF.
After you drive it in, it isn't coming out without serious (tractor with hydraulics) effort, so pick a good spot, get a friend and a case of beer and tag-team pounding it in, and plan to commit to a good afternoon of hard work! Every now and then you might hit a big rock or run out of pipe before you find sand (had that happen in MN), but I would think it would be easy down in FL to drive a sand point. And 性交 the HOA, cut a hole in your basement floor in a closet or something where they cannot see it...

After you drive it in, it isn't coming out without serious (tractor with hydraulics) effort, so pick a good spot, get a friend and a case of beer and tag-team pounding it in, and plan to commit to a good afternoon of hard work! Every now and then you might hit a big rock or run out of pipe before you find sand (had that happen in MN), but I would think it would be easy down in FL to drive a sand point. And 性交 the HOA, cut a hole in your basement floor in a closet or something where they cannot see it...
Thank you very much.

And 性交 the HOA, cut a hole in your basement floor in a closet or something where they cannot see it...
Cut a tree trunk in half and hollow it out and wrap it back around your hole with pipe till you need it in the future. My wifes granddad hid lots of food under a trap door covered with hay to make it look like a dung hill and survived the house to house searches for food by the partisans and communists after WWII. What they do not see does not hurt them. Set up a "PARTY" tent to disguise the drill of your well or driving of your well and then build a grill around it or disguise it well enough to not be recognised but quickly accessable if needed.

I live in the middle of a city and wonder what me and other thirsty citizens would do if ever our water taps run dry for whatever reason in an apocalypse situation?
I'd have a few bottles of stored tapwater on hand of course but it's bound to run out, so what would we do then?
I live near the sea so is there a simple gadget or something available to filter out the salt?

There is a philosophy in survival prepardness known as "the law of redundant redundancies".

The law is simple: One is none and two is one.

The idea is not to rely on only one of anything crucial to your survival: water would be one of those things.

Best to have multiple back ups. Each one has its benefits and downsides.

Rainwater catchment
Springwater
Pond, lake, sea, river, stream
Home well
Community/city water
Urine recycling
Dehumidifier

Cut a tree trunk in half and hollow it out and wrap it back around your hole with pipe till you need it in the future. My wifes granddad hid lots of food under a trap door covered with hay to make it look like a dung hill and survived the house to house searches for food by the partisans and communists after WWII. What they do not see does not hurt them. Set up a "PARTY" tent to disguise the drill of your well or driving of your well and then build a grill around it or disguise it well enough to not be recognised but quickly accessable if needed.
I absolutley love these ideas. Thank you.

It seems nature got there first; seagulls can drink sea water because they've got inbuilt filters; and if inventors could make and patent a simple device that emulates the process they'd become millionaires overnight..:)
From the net-
"The saltwater seagulls take in is absorbed and moves through their blood stream into a pair of salt glands above their eyes. The densely salty fluid that results is excreted from the nostrils and runs down grooves in the bill. Watch a gull at the coast, and you will see drops of this liquid appear on the tip of its bill. As the drop gets larger, the bird shakes its head to send the salt back to the ocean."

View attachment 17596
Physically we almost have the ability to do the same thing. Your tear ducts are capable of changing the salt concentration in your tears; in fact there are three different types of tears with different compositions. Reflex tears, tears caused by irritation, are much saltier than emotional tears.
It would only be a small adaptation to be able to rid yourself of excess salt in seawater.

Physically we almost have the ability to do the same thing. Your tear ducts are capable of changing the salt concentration in your tears; in fact there are three different types of tears with different compositions. Reflex tears, tears caused by irritation, are much saltier than emotional tears.
It would only be a small adaptation to be able to rid yourself of excess salt in seawater.
I have thought about this in the context of a life boat, and a nasty (but possibly life-saving) idea occurs to me.

Please have an open mind.

Your large intestines (the colon) takes liquid material from the small intestines, and gradually extracts water from it until we have formed feces.

So, it seems to me that a sea water enema might allow the body to absorb the water without the salt . . . certainly the liquid material from the small intestines is much more concentrated than sea water.

I would imagine that this sea water would need to be treated in some way to remove or kill microbes before introducing it into your large intestines.

I'm positive that there is a flaw in my reasoning somewhere, but I don't see it (and yes, I am in RN school).

Latest posts

Back