Share a knife a day till you run out of knives...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a flea market find made in Finland by J. Marttiini. Don't remember what I paid but it was a steal and stays in my fishing tackle box.

11.JPG
22.JPG

KA-BAR Bowie (with a USMC KA-BAR for comparison)
This is one of those Asian made "KA-BARs" that sullied the brand. Somebody gave it to me, I never would have bought it for myself or for anyone else. It's one of those "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?" products. Although it is even longer than the USMC KA-BAR, it weighs 2/3 as much because of the flimsy blade. And the sheath is about half the thickness of the USMC KA-BAR sheath. It's all shiny and everything but the blade is so deeply hollow ground it has a cross section like a straight razor and a very fragile tip. The handle feels awkward in the hand. It's not inexpensive, with an MSRP only $13 less than the US made USMC KA-BAR. An expensive cheap knife.

X8xfYpx.jpg

7ZEE7iG.jpg

Another American who was living in Germany, got divorced, wanted to go back to the US and needed money, left some knives with me for cash. Never heard from him again. One of the knives is this big, flat ground Gerber with a nylon sheath. Rubber grip and brass finger guard, about a 10 inch blade. A heavy work knife. Around 25 years old now, according to him back then.
55.JPG
66.JPG

Mossy Oak Bowie Knife Set, 6" blade and 4" blade.
I was in Walmart a number of years ago and this set caught my eye. It was cheap enough that I decided to take a chance on it.
iGI967B.jpg

So let's get the cons out of the way first
Made in China
Cheap Chinese steel (3CR13)
Cloth Sheath
BUT it is actually a well designed and well made knife. If only the steel were better...
Flawless fit and finish, feels good in the hand, well thought out blade design that is very comfortable to use. Using the pair in tandem I can get through skinning a deer without touching them up, but they definitely need resharpening before starting another deer. The steel is easy to sharpen and very corrosion resistant. I guess that is a plus. I can use the small one like an Old Timer Sharpfinger.
dkJ0Yd0.jpg

I don't remember what I paid, but they were popular enough that they have been available on Amazon ever since then, and the current price is $20 per set. This is the only super inexpensive Chinese made knife that I don't feel ashamed to be seen with, LOL.
neRwIzv.jpg

Mossy Oak Bowie Knife Set, 6" blade and 4" blade.
I was in Walmart a number of years ago and this set caught my eye. It was cheap enough that I decided to take a chance on it.
iGI967B.jpg

So let's get the cons out of the way first
Made in China
Cheap Chinese steel (3CR13)
Cloth Sheath
BUT it is actually a well designed and well made knife. If only the steel were better...
Flawless fit and finish, feels good in the hand, well thought out blade design that is very comfortable to use. Using the pair in tandem I can get through skinning a deer without touching them up, but they definitely need resharpening before starting another deer. The steel is easy to sharpen and very corrosion resistant. I guess that is a plus. I can use the small one like an Old Timer Sharpfinger.
dkJ0Yd0.jpg

I don't remember what I paid, but they were popular enough that they have been available on Amazon ever since then, and the current price is $20 per set. This is the only super inexpensive Chinese made knife that I don't feel ashamed to be seen with, LOL.
neRwIzv.jpg
I like the profile of the top knife. I think it would make a good all around camp knife. It wouldn't be my first choice for skinning most critters, but I can see that it would easily skin a deer, elk, bear or moose. Even caribou and antelope. It'll help keep the wear and tear off a more expensive knife too.

Guns, knives and whiskey: WON THE WEST!!
NICE FOTO DOC...
This is my last knife, I have given lots of others to my son as an inheritance. This one I bought in Stuttgart at a weapons show and is the most expensive one I own. Worth about $700.00, limited edition. Only 1999 pieces were ever produced and my knife is number is 771.
33.JPG
44.JPG

They made a smaller one also, kinda like those from DocH. The collectors asked for a larger, identical model from the Boker Co. The demand for a larger one was met and I happened to get one of the last ones in Germany.

Last edited:
The knife that took 45 years to make...
Hz1Tyvc.jpg

I was making knives in the 70's out of O1 tool steel. Before I could get this one heat treated, I went back to school and my equipment got stolen which ended my knife making for years. I somehow managed to not lose it through eleven moves. During those eleven moves, I lost a number of other knives, like a Puma White Hunter, Uncle Henry Golden Spike, a Gerber Silver Knight, and all my finished knives that I made from O1...but not this one.
A few years ago I finally sent it off to be heat treated. I rust blued the blade (O1 is notorious for corrosion susceptibility) and put an ebony handle on it.
I had envisioned a small but heavy chef's knife good for chopping etc. But it is really way too heavy to use as a kitchen knife of that length, and not long enough to be useful for chopping. I think it will be reshaped slightly and repurposed as a skinning knife.

J. Marttiini Classic Condor
3.5" blade
Can't remember why I bought this, but do remember that it was smaller than I thought.
I'm sure it's a nice little knife. I haven't used it though.
UewViVq.jpg

Latest posts

Back