Share a knife a day till you run out of knives...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife
3.5" blade - Who knew those Canadians were so petite? LOL
Supposed to be a handy little hunting knife. But it's another 3.5" blade I haven't used yet. Mainly because 4"-6" blades is my comfort zone for skinning knives. I must remember to try it though.
This one I was given.

fr6ECBO.png

A twofer today. A couple of beater knives that have seen a good bit of use over the decades.
The first is what used to be an Uncle Henry Bowie, but I don't think you could legitimately call it a Bowie anymore. It had a swept tip, meaning that the tip was higher than the spine, which I don't like to use. So I lowered the tip. I've mainly used this for splitting rib cages, separating joints, etc. Things that I don't want to chip my good knives on.
Second one is a Cutco hunting knife that a friend gave me. It went through an attic fire which burned off the handle. Like the Uncle Henry Bowie I didn't like the profile of the blade and cut off most of the hump on top to give the point more stabability. I wrapped the handle with waxed cord. It's really grippy even when covered with blood and deer fat.

I made the sheath for the Cutco knife from an old belt. It's stitched with the same waxed cord that is wrapped around the handle. I should make more like that, it's a very sturdy and useful sheath and a good way to recycle old belts. Oh, and that white stuff on the Uncle Henry's sheath is exactly what it looks like, mold, but that's been cleaned off now, as has the corrosion on the finger guard.
FvdcNQg.jpg

At top is a stock photo of what the Cutco knife would have looked like new.

JzpMTN3.png

Mossy Oak Utility Knife, hefty 9cr18mov blade, which is technically Chinese 440C but with molybdenum for machinability and toughness, and vanadium for edge retention. It's the high end of Chinese steels.

2p4WMkr.jpg

Unusual knife, with an approximately 5" blade (depending on how you measure it). Glass breaker, bottle opener, and removable G10 scales on the handle. Pretty decent leather sheath. It feels really good in the hand.
It was 30 bucks when I bought it, but you'd be hard pressed to find a higher quality knife for 5 times that price. They have been selling this knife for over 3 years and the only bad reviews are from Japan. Looks like there was one batch sold in Japan that was improperly heat treated. Currently on Amazon for $60, but without the black blade finish.
https://www.amazon.com/MOSSY-OAK-Fixed-Blade-Knife/dp/B07CPSXWXT

The bayonett for a G36
Too bad the bayonet was deadlier than the rifle. Many of the G36 needed to be scrapped. After a hundred different soldiers had fired 20,000 rounds the rifling was wasted and the rounds went where they wanted to. The replacement weapon overheated very quickly and needed to be scrapped after on a few thousand rounds. "Made in Germany" is no longer a good trade secret any more. Heckler and Koch is not what it used to be.

Too bad the bayonet was deadlier than the rifle. Many of the G36 needed to be scrapped. After a hundred different soldiers had fired 20,000 rounds the rifling was wasted and the rounds went where they wanted to. The replacement weapon overheated very quickly and needed to be scrapped after on a few thousand rounds. "Made in Germany" is no longer a good trade secret any more. Heckler and Koch is not what it used to be.
Sorry, but I can´t confirm that. Those we had always did the job. The problems first came, when the ministry of defence needed something new. Reason was not a bad rifle - and the G36 isn´t one - but the end of the maintenace contract with HK. Then they started some testing which few heavy machineguns would pass. The G36 - a light assault rifle - is still in service, a replacement is not yet found.

The bayonett wasn´t given to the troops in general, at least I don´t know that this was done. I bought mine myself (like lots of other gear)
But, back to topic.

Last edited:
I'm too stupid to be able to share a photo - I may learn one day.

I have a Ka-Bar Becker BK7. Admittedly it is not as handsome as some of the edge-weapons here, especially compared to some of the ones that have the gorgeous wood work for the hand grips. I consider some of these to be genuine works of art. Mine is more of a utilitarian beastie. I can dig roots, baton fallen tree branches for fire wood without problem and it is easy to keep sharp.
Mine is not the nicest to look at but it is functional and I have not managed to break it yet.

Ka-Bar? I got one too. My actual first choice out in the woods. Although I used it for many hard jobs - it´s still trustworthy.

View attachment 16095
She is gorgeous. I love and respect the leather work on the grip. Please know I am very stupid on trying to share any image here. Maybe there is a tutorial#?

She is gorgeous. I love and respect the leather work on the grip. Please know I am very stupid on trying to share any image here. Maybe there is a tutorial#?
Well, you copy (mark & cmd+c) the picture, you want to show and add it via paste (cmd+v) directly into the writingbox (don´t know how this actually is propperly named). I prefer so enlarge the pictures before.

Latest posts

Back