Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Likely. I never noticed any fruit on the trees. I’m still pissed about the cherries. They were loaded and the birds wiped them out in one day.... bird stew maybe?
I made it into the garden this morning and got another load of cukes, green beans and squash. I was eyeballing a half ripe tomato but will be patient and let it finish on its own.

Definitely time for bird stew. Man does not live by veg. alone.

Likely. I never noticed any fruit on the trees. I’m still pissed about the cherries. They were loaded and the birds wiped them out in one day.... bird stew maybe?
I made it into the garden this morning and got another load of cukes, green beans and squash. I was eyeballing a half ripe tomato but will be patient and let it finish on its own.

The birds can be so cruel to our efforts! My 2 cherries produced a bunch this year. And I guarded them. ShootLOL. I didn’t shoot the birds, but boy did I keep small river stones on the decks in different spots and throw them at any bird that landed on one of the trees. The trees are in our backyard and below the decks. I got quite good at throwing too!

Was it the frost or is there other issues? My one plum produced a bunch.
I believe it was a late frost as all the trees were barren this year. I honestly was busy with work and didn’t pay attention. One thing I’m sure of is it’s best to play the odds with gardening. I have planted many different things here and that’s best to at least have something that is going to produce each year.

I believe it was a late frost as all the trees were barren this year. I honestly was busy with work and didn’t pay attention. One thing I’m sure of is it’s best to play the odds with gardening. I have planted many different things here and that’s best to at least have something that is going to produce each year.

Sounds like a solid plan to at least get something every year. I need to expand. I tend to cover my trees when a late frost is coming...or i wrap warm lights all over them. Pain in the patootie, but it does work. Last year I wrapped them early before buds came and kept the lights on until after the fruit was picked. Used the lights 3 different times.

The only thing worse than green beans is shelling peas.
I got a Mr Pea Shellar Jr for my birthday from my sister. My thinking was that this tool would help me with shelling green peas and dry type beans. With that said I have not tried it with green peas, but brown crowder peas are very similar in size and are very difficult to shell, no matter what stage of drying they are in unless it is when they first turn white. I did find that trying to run them thru green, the Mr Pea Shellar caused crushing damage to the pea, so now only shell when white or after drying completely. In between is just a bugar because that is one bean that has to be hand shelled.

Yesterday after feeding I started mulching the garden and doing some picking before the rains started. Inbetween showers I had to collect some more stakes from the woods for my tomato and bell peppers I started in the back yard. Got those tied up and weeded before the next round of showers. Ended up cleaning house and polishing my floors. Mom and her husband stopped by to collect some produce. Mom ended up just staying in the van but wanted to hold one of my baby goats when she saw one in with the calf so brought her out little Dude (can you tell my hunny named this one). He's the one developed pneumonia and I had him I the house for a few days. He loves to be held and actually snuggled down in your arms, then puts his head up on your shoulder. Mom loved it. After they left, I started canning tomato sauce.

Today so far I have been reorganizing my stock room shelves. There was a time that canning and just normal household chores was about all I had time for so cases of whatever basically got stacked up on my shelves until I got the extra time to put up and rotate properly.

Raised 5 of them myself. Should hear the stories my kids tell about shelling mountains of peas. 🤣 They are convinced it was a form of abuse. Builds character!!
I used to have to bribe my younger siblings into helping me shell peas. When I was in charge I wouldn't let them play football or go swimming unless it was done.

Gooseberries are finally winding down. After I tip and tail what I have picked think I will leave what little is left on the bushes for the birds. picked first blackberry and also zucchini. Still dehydrating and freezing green onions. Next on the list last of the beets and the first of the green beans.

Managed to get a gallon of blackberries and a gallon of blueberries just now. I didn’t even get half of the ripe blueberries but it started getting dusk with low light so I called it. 95% of them are still unripe. Definitely the best year ever for them.

Latest posts

Back