Gardening

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far, I've started 1/2 my tomatoes, 1/2 my bellpeppers, my tomatillos and herbs. Hopefully I'll get the remainder of the tomatoes, bellpeppers, and maybe some broccoli started...We have over a foot of compacted snow on the ground yet and expect snow again tonight. Last year we'd put out our seedlings into our greenhouses by Apr 10...not sure we are gonna get there this year unless we have a magnificent warm up SOON! We'd planted our onions and garlic in to ground last year about this time...

Heirloom Seeds or Open-Pollinated Seeds: These seeds will produce the exact vegetable advertised on the seed packet the year the seed is planted. If you save the seeds that are grown with the vegetable that year and plant those new seeds the following year then they will produce the same exact vegetable next year. And you can continue this process year after year after year. Therefore heirloom seeds are the best choice for anyone who is interested in increasing the long-term survival chances of their family.

Well, got a few things started and of course now the weatherman is calling snow. :mad:
headbash.gif
Just praying for a better season this year.

Yeah, I just now got to fold up the tarps. And then find out that we will be having another cold snap, but only 40 for the lows, so the tarps can stay folded.

I found the squash/gourds I planted flowered but the flowers fell off and that was it, no real growth of the actual squash. I found kale, carrots, onions, lentils and beans to be the easiest growers. Corn also grew fairly easy but either the mites were packed into the seed or the they attracted mites.

I'm in a northern climate though about 50 degrees north, so agriculture ain't the same as in better grow climates to the south.

Also vetch is edible but you don't want to eat too much of it, its ok to mix it up, raspberries and wild strawberry grows well up here. Mountain Ash also provides very useful berries. It would be nice if some of the fruit trees would bear but alas at these temperatures I think it will be a miracle.

Also oats are good growers up here. Radish is easy. I didn't really have luck with the lettuce or cabbage..? not sure why. As the wild variety grows quite plentifully ...

What variety of lettuce are you trying William? Are you growing indoors or out?

I would have though you would have an easy time with cabbage. I live in the south, but here they tend to like the cooler season, so I plant it in Jan and it is ready by April.

Planting by the signs of the moon. When the moon is full like now, you plant your root crops, berries, bulbs, and onions. When the moon is new you plant the crops that bear above ground like beans and tomatoes. Then there are times that you don't plant anything, but it's a good time for weeding because it's a dying off time.

We also follow signs of the moon with animal husbandry as well, with breeding, weaning, castrations, and butchering. Also with putting food up for storage.

I hadn't heard of putting food up for storage, with animal husbandry. What does it say about that one. I can understand the planting with the moon and the butchering of animals but haven't heard about the breeding, weaning and castrations either.

Give me a minute to grab my book. Our vet does the castrations on our horses by the moon and we do them on everything else and it seems to help with the bleeding. Had a friend insist on doing a horse at the wrong time once and the poor thing bled out on her.

Latest posts

Back