Leaving notes, in case you don't survive

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in WI

Reaction score
I don't want to be macabre, but I have a significant issue that will almost certainly kill me in a real SHTF situation. I'm dependent on insulin--no it isn't a diet thing. My pancreas literally does not function. Not at all. If things go sideways, without insulin, chances would be very slim for my survival.
But that's not the question. Does anyone else have a plan to leave notes and instructions for when they are gone? My fiance is cool with my preparations. She's mastering food storage, gardening, etc. But I have several firearms she's luke warm about. She's put some rounds through them. Basically understands how they work. But the rest is a mystery. Ie, a 20ga and 12ga round look about the same. What's the difference between #7 and #9 shot? Or slugs? Or buck?... I was thinking the other day maybe I should photograph them, and do a small write up. Why use a .223 hollow point, over a FMJ, over a bonded soft point for example. We're getting out on the weekends and throwing some lead down range. I'm just not sure she's super into hardcore firearms training. No real interest in the subject at all. Any thoughts on this? I just am trying to be realistic. I think I could do pretty well. Until the insulin truck stops showing up. Then I'm going to be SOL. It would give me some peace knowing, at least, she (and probably my local family) had some tools. An inventory of what's available, what to scrounge for... With 7 or 8 ammo cans full of assorted ammo, in at least that many calibers, I could see where it could get confusing.

First, yes, I think most of us have binders that we have given to members of our groups, children, spouses who aren't really into it or too busy to do much reading etc.
Secondly, I wonder if she would be interested in learning to re-load ammo. It is part science, part skill and part hobby. It would also provide her with a highly in demand skill and a means of trading for things she might need if you were no longer around. When I was too young for the 12g, my dad showed me how to reload the spent shells...kept me involved.
Thirdly, I am the opposite of hyperglycemic (Hypo) but was on insulin for six months with a diabetic pregnancy and have a high chance of developing insulin dependence in the future. I keep tabs on research and such.
I actually started taking something for my joints that also had the effect of unexpectedly lowering my blood sugar to the point I had to stop taking it when I couldn't wake up one morning...Alpha Lipoic Acid.

Not saying it would be enough to keep your blood sugar under control but, perhaps it, or some other natural substances might buy you some time?

First, yes, I think most of us have binders that we have given to members of our groups, children, spouses who aren't really into it or too busy to do much reading etc.
Secondly, I wonder if she would be interested in learning to re-load ammo. It is part science, part skill and part hobby. It would also provide her with a highly in demand skill and a means of trading for things she might need if you were no longer around. When I was too young for the 12g, my dad showed me how to reload the spent shells...kept me involved.
Thirdly, I am the opposite of hyperglycemic (Hypo) but was on insulin for six months with a diabetic pregnancy and have a high chance of developing insulin dependence in the future. I keep tabs on research and such.
I actually started taking something for my joints that also had the effect of unexpectedly lowering my blood sugar to the point I had to stop taking it when I couldn't wake up one morning...Alpha Lipoic Acid.

Not saying it would be enough to keep your blood sugar under control but, perhaps it, or some other natural substances might buy you some time?
She is learning a lot, very quickly. Gardening for example. Operating a food dehydrator, sewing... I think growing up in Chicago in the 80's, guns=violent criminals, gangs, murder... I'm winning her over. It's just going to be a process. We've been going over the .22lr, and a nice Smith .380 pistol. Simple weapons to use. Very little recoil. But extremely useful. She's willing, and that was a huge first step. That first session was bizarre. Her fear over actually pulling a trigger. I was very proud of her, getting that far out of her comfort zone. Now that I travel a lot for work, she actually feels better having a weapon at home. One of those things that you hate, but accept that you actually need.
I have been reading about diabetes treatment prior to insulin. I think some things can help. Diet certainly. Exercise. The issue seems to be that the pancrease just 100% failed on me. No insulin is being produced. It isn't an insulin resistance issue. I want to ask my doctor--but how do you say "Err, climate collapse should have us living in the stone age any time now... how do I live without insulin?" and not sound like a whack job? I'm just asking the above question as just being realistic. I have a serious health issue, and if things really do go sideways, the consequences could be very bad for me. It would bring some comfort knowing if I can't use the stuff, someone I love knows how to do it. Basing the plan on me A) surviving and B) being the only person with those skills isn't probably a good one.

She is learning a lot, very quickly. Gardening for example. Operating a food dehydrator, sewing... I think growing up in Chicago in the 80's, guns=violent criminals, gangs, murder... I'm winning her over. It's just going to be a process. We've been going over the .22lr, and a nice Smith .380 pistol. Simple weapons to use. Very little recoil. But extremely useful. She's willing, and that was a huge first step. That first session was bizarre. Her fear over actually pulling a trigger. I was very proud of her, getting that far out of her comfort zone. Now that I travel a lot for work, she actually feels better having a weapon at home. One of those things that you hate, but accept that you actually need.
I have been reading about diabetes treatment prior to insulin. I think some things can help. Diet certainly. Exercise. The issue seems to be that the pancrease just 100% failed on me. No insulin is being produced. It isn't an insulin resistance issue. I want to ask my doctor--but how do you say "Err, climate collapse should have us living in the stone age any time now... how do I live without insulin?" and not sound like a whack job? I'm just asking the above question as just being realistic. I have a serious health issue, and if things really do go sideways, the consequences could be very bad for me. It would bring some comfort knowing if I can't use the stuff, someone I love knows how to do it. Basing the plan on me A) surviving and B) being the only person with those skills isn't probably a good one.

Get to know a local vetnarian that knows how to make insulin.

I grew up in the 80's NW of Chicago near the Wisconsin border but, lived rurally. I grew up a prepper because when the power went out in storms or we got dumped on with snow, the cities and burbs got priority for restoration and snow plowing. In the winter of '77 we had no power in an all electric home for three weeks and were snowed in to boot! The .22 LR was the first real gun that my father taught me to shoot. Good choice!

Bows are also not a bad option in a survival situation for hunting because they are silent and will not draw the attention of every hunter around you, who might be looking to take advantage of your kill. Just a thought.

The 100% fail is what i might be facing as well. My system dumps way too much insulin for the blood sugar, and in theory, will eventually wear out. So I am very careful to maintain steady blood sugar levels.

Perhaps ask your doctor if there are any supplements that can aid in blood sugar control and maybe reduce the amount of insulin you will have to take. Type 1 diabetics are more prone than non-diabetics to developing insulin resistance on top of diabetes (known as double diabetes Insulin Resistance, Defective Insulin-Mediated Fatty Acid Suppression, and Coronary Artery Calcification in Subjects With and Without Type 1 Diabetes: The CACTI Study https://asweetlife.org/why-do-people-with-type-1-diabetes-develop-insulin-resistance/ ) it would not be too eyebrow raising for you to ask about adding natural supplements to your diet. No need to mention TEOTWAWKI.

Last edited:
My wife was never around guns until I moved in. I bought a safe because of her teens.
When we moved up here, we can shoot whenever we want And sometimes we have to. She took well to the smaller caliber rifles and handguns. .380 in her nightstand. Nothing is in the safe unless we go away or company coming.
Every year we have gun education night. How to load, where the safety is, etc.
I think this year it will be teach me how to handle all of them. Then we can stop these yearly nights.
I am not sure a DVM with 6 more letters after DVM knows how to make insulin.

It's not easy to make insulin yourself. I have everything that's needed to make it, except the livestock, but I've never tried making insulin.

https://www.askaprepper.com/make-insulin-shtf/
I wasn’t trying to dis you PP. I don’t know if my wife who takes on diabetic cases that GP‘s can’t handle knows.
We had a talk about euthanasia because of what I had to do today. Down older horse, Equine Vets can’t get here till tomorrow. We had previously discussed this situation.
I didn’t know she had to euthanize an elephant. My response to lighten the mood- I bet the elephant didn’t forget.

Hypoglycemia-have glucose tabs in all vehicles, all suitcases, Etc. Despite not having an episode in 10 yrs. I know when I feel it. Stay away from HFC. That’s my trigger.
When I tend to go way under weight is when I had most of my episodes, almost daily. Once I had to actually grab a co-worker that I honestly was not very fond of just to get me into the breakroom where I could get some sugar item. He didn't know how I felt about him, so all was good at that time. When I tend to stay within my weight rang, I tend to do so much better. I have a feeling that I may really need to test out those natural remedies in the very near future to see if they can actually work. With age, my metabolism is not what it used to be in my 20's and early 30's

When I tend to go way under weight is when I had most of my episodes, almost daily. Once I had to actually grab a co-worker that I honestly was not very fond of just to get me into the breakroom where I could get some sugar item. He didn't know how I felt about him, so all was good at that time. When I tend to stay within my weight rang, I tend to do so much better. I have a feeling that I may really need to test out those natural remedies in the very near future to see if they can actually work. With age, my metabolism is not what it used to be in my 20's and early 30's
I literarily got Lost in a 10x12 in an episode. A
bottle room of store. I gained 30 lbs in the past 10 yrs
i feel so much better. Better than I did for 30 years.

I grew up in the 80's NW of Chicago near the Wisconsin border but, lived rurally. I grew up a prepper because when the power went out in storms or we got dumped on with snow, the cities and burbs got priority for restoration and snow plowing. In the winter of '77 we had no power in an all electric home for three weeks and were snowed in to boot! The .22 LR was the first real gun that my father taught me to shoot. Good choice!

Bows are also not a bad option in a survival situation for hunting because they are silent and will not draw the attention of every hunter around you, who might be looking to take advantage of your kill. Just a thought.

The 100% fail is what i might be facing as well. My system dumps way too much insulin for the blood sugar, and in theory, will eventually wear out. So I am very careful to maintain steady blood sugar levels.

Perhaps ask your doctor if there are any supplements that can aid in blood sugar control and maybe reduce the amount of insulin you will have to take. Type 1 diabetics are more prone than non-diabetics to developing insulin resistance on top of diabetes (known as double diabetes Insulin Resistance, Defective Insulin-Mediated Fatty Acid Suppression, and Coronary Artery Calcification in Subjects With and Without Type 1 Diabetes: The CACTI Study https://asweetlife.org/why-do-people-with-type-1-diabetes-develop-insulin-resistance/ ) it would not be too eyebrow raising for you to ask about adding natural supplements to your diet. No need to mention TEOTWAWKI.

It's not easy to make insulin yourself. I have everything that's needed to make it, except the livestock, but I've never tried making insulin.

https://www.askaprepper.com/make-insulin-shtf/
Indeed. There is a "hacker" group working on it, but it seems as thought it requires splicing the insulin genes into yeast or other bacteria and harvesting it. I'm a PhD chemist, and I would have difficulty following the process. Of course, oncei t's worked out it's probably straight forward. But then testing, trying not to over or under dose yourself... Even with commercial insulin, things happen. Whenever the world's supply ran out, I'd be SOL. I'm afraid that's just how it is.

Latest posts

Back