A question for the more seasoned preppers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it offends me because one its in the wrong place and two I'm a pagan, I do not believe in some invisible super natural being , my religion is nature and all things natural and my church is the fields and the woods of my native land.
religion and politics is why I keep taking breaks from this forum.
this was a good thread, a decent discussion until you mucked it up.

We all have different beliefs, morals and values. Tolerance is a great value to learn. Wasn’t talking directly to you. Why do you think it is all about you? At any rate, there is no one on this planet who will stop me from speaking God’s Word.

Those of you who been preppers for decades, you've seen more crises, threats, events, economic highs and lows, so I feel you're a better judge of the current situation.

What are your thoughts on the current global situation from a preppers perspective?

I do not know how experienced you are but start with prepping for natural disasters and build a food program. Then know where your nuclear reactors are located and wind patterns. I have a wind map link if you want it. You will be able to estimate fallout routes. There will always be a threat of nuclear war. Nuke war and reactors go hand in hand. Depending on your threat estimate buy NBC gear. If you do not have a basement then find a location that will work as a shelter. Build a library. You cannot memorize everything. Make an E library a significate source of information. You can only carry so many hard copies if you have to leave.

Paul, you can write a zillion posts and say whatever you want. That is your GOD GIVEN right. What you can’t do is get away with BULLYING me! It’s beyond me why you would **think** that you have the right to tell me what I can talk about! Or type of advice that I can give to another woman. You sound like a woman abuser.

Honestly, I'm not surprised it got hijacked. Maybe a moderator could delete the off topic posts... or we could just get back on track 🤷‍♀️

As for my original post, it's more about curiosity. I love that when I have a question I have so many to turn to here. I think my last curiosity was about gun culture in the USA and I got very good answers and explanations.

I think for younger people like gen z, the current global situation is all they've known and it can seem scary. But the older one is, the more they've seen and experienced. Which is why I asked the more experienced members here what their thoughts are.

I don't really need help as such. Reading these forums is enough to get me started in the right direction, then I do the best I can as a working single mum of 3.

Last edited:
Kiwi, have you been able to manage to get some chickens or rabbits? I believe you were going to look into that…
No, I can't risk getting kicked out of this house. Worst case scenario I'll just be vegetarian or trade. It wouldn't be the first time I've been too poor to have meat 😅 I remember at one point in the early 2000s I had $2/day for food.

But my stored food increases each fortnight. I've plenty of heirloom seeds. The first of the dwarf fruit trees arrived today 😍. I have a good network of friends. When I was off work for a fortnight with covid they were dropping of food/meals/medicine almost daily even though I never asked. ❤

I do not know how experienced you are but start with prepping for natural disasters and build a food program. Then know where your nuclear reactors are located and wind patterns. I have a wind map link if you want it. You will be able to estimate fallout routes. There will always be a threat of nuclear war. Nuke war and reactors go hand in hand. Depending on your threat estimate buy NBC gear. If you do not have a basement then find a location that will work as a shelter. Build a library. You cannot memorize everything. Make an E library a significate source of information. You can only carry so many hard copies if you have to leave.
Thank you for your response ❤
I'm in nuclear free New Zealand but if "they" decide to waste a nuke on us almost the entire North Island is screwed because we don't generally have basements and our homes tend to be lightweight materials. I'm far enough from the biggest cities that I'd be able to get the kids home and hunkered down with our supplies until radiation levels drop.

No, I can't risk getting kicked out of this house. Worst case scenario I'll just be vegetarian or trade. It wouldn't be the first time I've been too poor to have meat 😅 I remember at one point in the early 2000s I had $2/day for food.

But my stored food increases each fortnight. I've plenty of heirloom seeds. The first of the dwarf fruit trees arrived today 😍. I have a good network of friends. When I was off work for a fortnight with covid they were dropping of food/meals/medicine almost daily even though I never asked. ❤

You are certainly doing much better than you were and I’m thrilled to hear it! Agree that a house is more important than meat. Grow your garden and can or dehydrate any excess you can produce. Thrilled that you got some dwarf fruit trees!!! 😍 Which one came?

You are certainly doing much better than you were and I’m thrilled to hear it! Agree that a house is more important than meat. Grow your garden and can or dehydrate any excess you can produce. Thrilled that you got some dwarf fruit trees!!! 😍 Which one came?
Thank you 🤗
3x mandarins and 3x oranges arrived today. There's 3x apples coming in a couple of months. All different types that ripen at different times. There's already an old lemon tree here which I'm working on getting healthy again.

My only heatsource are wood fired ovens. There are three of them in the main building. When the Kids got old enough to enlight the fires independently the amount of fire-extinguishers increased magically. ;)

A burning house is the scenario where you have to have your BOB really ready.

in regard to DIY home fire fighting >>> always been a top priority SHTF with me - a definite tangent SHTF to any domestic rioting & looting SHTF scenario - with the DNC hiring the BLM & ANTIFA scum & miscreants to attack the country - it came even more center focused >>> little doubt they'll be making a return next year to stop the GOP Congress changes ....

might be overkill but the article has good mindset and links >>>> Fire on the Neighbor's House, by Neil Gunton

I have 2x fire extinguishers. I honestly hadn't thought much about fire issues.
Have you shown all the kids how to use them? Start a small fire outside and demonstrate what to do and how to effectively put the fire out with a video on youtube...
Maybe show them how fast a shirt or curtains can go up in flames to get their respect for fire strong too.
Another thing, ABC extinguishers are full of baking power like material and a bit of salt. You can douse thirty people in the face with one and they will not breathe or see well for a while. The same material pretty messes up your house and furniture too. Try to find a CO2 extinguisher if you can.
The A fire is a solid material fire like wood, paper and furniture. The B type fire is volitile liquids like petrol and oil. The C fire is a flammable gas like propane or butane or natural gas. IMPORTANT!! If you have a propane or other gas fire....do NOT EXTINGUISH it!! let it burn and try to find the valve nearby and shut it off, like on the street or in your gas box...if you put a gas fire out, the gas CLOUD will get only bigger and eventually explode! Just let it burn and let the professionals get it out or turn off the gas line.

Last edited:
Not to derail the fire-building conversation (and such conversations are critically important for all), but back to the original post; I just prepare for anything, really. Yeah, things are bad these days with war threatening to fever-rush western Europe and yet another round of COVID outbreaks here in the states, people are all still grumbling about 2020 in all of it. I think things are better today than back then in 2020, but I think the world's still a bit of a powder keg, and I do mean the United States in that regard, too. I'm a bit anxious about the upcoming elections end of this year, and of course all the supply chain and inflation woes we're going through are worrisome as well, just to name a few of the things that can keep you up at night.

But right now, at this moment, things are stable. I can go to my local store and purchase preps; food, water, medical. In my region hell, even guns and ammo are in abundance and, believe it or not, prices are going down on such things. So, yeah, time to stock up, get those preps in line, and keep living life confident that even if things don't get better we're all prepared. All the while keep an eye out on the danger zones, politically, financially, even socially. I'm a realist with optimistic tendencies, so I think things will get better somehow (inflation will level and start to decline, far more of the right kind of folks will win the election, etc...) but if not, I'm ready for what may come instead. Stay safe out there.

I started building another storage shed last fall. I'll finish it this spring. We have some plumbing to reroute under the house and when we're finished we'll move alot our stock under the house. Can't have too much storage space.
I just finished a 40 X 120 storage building thats protected last year!!!

Thankfully our house is all brick so setting it on fire will be difficult.
The roof has class A shingles and are very fire resistant as in you wont be burning me out that way.
We have six fire extinguishers spread throughout the house and garage as well as smoke detectors in the attic that are connected to the home security system.

Latest posts

Back