Next big fire in Australia and preppers preparations

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day everyone apologies for big largely absent for so long mostly in-part due to working then being laid off in September 2019 by the old employer who lost contract renewal bid followed by being put on in April 2020 by new employer in my old job amidst the pandemic then having to uproot myself in mid 2021 to move back home due to the house I rented being repossessed as result of landlords misappropriating my rent instead of paying mortgage

Anyways before going off track as everyone knows Australia is currently in La Nina phase with most of NSW as well as Parts of Victoria underwater due to high rainfall over winter and spring in addition to decent rainfall in South Australia however it will be a double-edged sword once La Nina dissipates in summer and El Nino possibly makes a rapid appearance in 2nd half of 2023 followed by a drought and hot 2024 meaning triple fuel load as to what was seen in 2019/2020 black summer season

Even though my area has seen decent grass/scrub fires in 2021 near Lucindale and earlier this year at Callendale it will be 40 years next year and 41 in 2024 since Ash Wednesday occurred which is well over the average wait for something big to happen as a rural prepper I spent most of Winter slowing putting together a 400 litre slip on unit to put on my 6x4 trailer so in event of a SHTF situation is to occur in summer 23 or 24 I am well positioned to help out or just position the unit for asset protection

What have other fellow preppers done in terms of preparations for the next big fire

1669194585481.png

The above picture is my completed fire unit equipped with 1x10m and 2x 25m hose lines, 4 stroke 1.6 hp 120 l/pm fire pump all attached to a trans tank international 400 litre liquid cartage tank

Sorry to hear of your troubles. That landlord sounds like a real snake.

Most of our fire preps have more to do with building materials.
The year of the Bastrop Fires,
1669385074139.png

there were many fires that broke out around our area.
In the Hill country
1669385200429.png

(BOL1)
which is a disaster waiting to happen; it is left quite natural with Juniper (we call it cedar because the wood smells like it) and many plants which are naturally drought tolerant and thus, high in oils,
they tend to burst in to flames once they are exposed to a certain temperature. They burn fast and hot.

There would not be a lot you could do to put it out once it has started. Our fire plan if it was close, is to pack up the animals and then G.O.O.D. to BOL2. You just hope that the things you have done, like trimming back trees, clearing brush and having stone clad buildings, metal roofs and aluminum gutters, will save your house.

For small fires that start here, we have an underground line, gravity fed with several spickets and hoses that allow us to run water over the entire property and put those out.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. That landlord sounds like a real snake.
Thanks for that rainingcatzanddogs it was an uphill battle big time trying to even get maintenance done over the last 3 years I lived in that house heck even the previous 2 landlords before the former ones who went bankrupt were able to do some form of basic maintenance even if it was getting a new hot water service replaced or even putting in new smoke detectors but the useless ones I had to put up with from roughly 2018-2020 didn't do diddly squat of which even infuriated my ex property manager to no end who even tried her hardest to convince the bank to keep me in there

Australia be a land of diverse climate. I’m sure your fire trailer will see action soon enough

Very true Ling31 I tried to get it endorsed by the Country Fire Service as a recognized resource as extra layer of protection however that proved to be difficult so they advised me to just remain a private owner/operator and help out where needed even if it's simply sitting stationary and waiting for a fire to cross the road before trying to stop it or just provide mopping up/patrolling

1669385200429.png

(BOL1)
which is a disaster waiting to happen; it is left quite natural with Juniper (we call it cedar because the wood smells like it) and many plants which are naturally drought tolerant and thus, high in oils,
they tend to burst in to flames once they are exposed to a certain temperature. They burn fast and hot.
My hometown of Kalangadoo is smack bang located in middle of the LSE of South Australia we've got pine plantations at Glencoe and Nangwarry as well as Sugar gum plantation at Mount Mc Intyre and young pines in same location adding in farmland not currently being used for potato growing so there's no real safe route to evacuate if STHF situation does happen with closest designated safe towns being 25 and 30 minutes away again the routes to these towns take you through those hazardous fuel loads that could be burning

There would not be a lot you could do to put it out once it has started. Our fire plan if it was close, is to pack up the animals and then G.O.O.D. to BOL2. You just hope that the things you have done, like trimming back trees, clearing brush and having stone clad buildings, metal roofs and aluminum gutters, will save your house.

For small fires that start here, we have an underground line, gravity fed with several spickets and hoses that allow us to run water over the entire property and put those out.
Around same time I decided to build a trailer unit earlier this year also invested in an 8hp pump to replace mum's ageing 5 hp fire pump of which was purchased in the early 90's its water source is unground bore at present it has a single rubber line attached but that can be swapped over easily to a 25 mm 1 inch canvas hose or a camlock 30m line if the need arises to protect the house or sheds

On a perfect fire day of which now by modern definition here in Austral is 40+ degrees. 40-70 km/h winds and a fire danger index of more than 200 generally results in early evacs of people who aren't well prepared hence the reason I installed the new bore connected pump for mum but if push does come to shove we have 3 evacuation points in town being local pub, primary school and football oval

Thanks for that rainingcatzanddogs it was an uphill battle big time trying to even get maintenance done over the last 3 years I lived in that house heck even the previous 2 landlords before the former ones who went bankrupt were able to do some form of basic maintenance even if it was getting a new hot water service replaced or even putting in new smoke detectors but the useless ones I had to put up with from roughly 2018-2020 didn't do diddly squat of which even infuriated my ex property manager to no end who even tried her hardest to convince the bank to keep me in there

Very true Ling31 I tried to get it endorsed by the Country Fire Service as a recognized resource as extra layer of protection however that proved to be difficult so they advised me to just remain a private owner/operator and help out where needed even if it's simply sitting stationary and waiting for a fire to cross the road before trying to stop it or just provide mopping up/patrolling

My hometown of Kalangadoo is smack bang located in middle of the LSE of South Australia we've got pine plantations at Glencoe and Nangwarry as well as Sugar gum plantation at Mount Mc Intyre and young pines in same location adding in farmland not currently being used for potato growing so there's no real safe route to evacuate if STHF situation does happen with closest designated safe towns being 25 and 30 minutes away again the routes to these towns take you through those hazardous fuel loads that could be burning

Around same time I decided to build a trailer unit earlier this year also invested in an 8hp pump to replace mum's ageing 5 hp fire pump of which was purchased in the early 90's its water source is unground bore at present it has a single rubber line attached but that can be swapped over easily to a 25 mm 1 inch canvas hose or a camlock 30m line if the need arises to protect the house or sheds

On a perfect fire day of which now by modern definition here in Austral is 40+ degrees. 40-70 km/h winds and a fire danger index of more than 200 generally results in early evacs of people who aren't well prepared hence the reason I installed the new bore connected pump for mum but if push does come to shove we have 3 evacuation points in town being local pub, primary school and football oval
They do say a lot of these bush fires wouldn’t get to the gigantic infernos they become if proper burn offs were reinstated as was once the practice. I’m not sure when that was changed but maybe the reason for the mega disasters we are seeing. Sorry to hear that your resource wasn’t recognised as useful by the government department like many things.

They do say a lot of these bush fires wouldn’t get to the gigantic infernos they become if proper burn offs were reinstated as was once the practice. I’m not sure when that was changed but maybe the reason for the mega disasters we are seeing. Sorry to hear that your resource wasn’t recognised as useful by the government department like many things.
I was discussing with a mate of mine who is in local CFS operations about my trailer unit not being recognized as an official resource apparently the rules were changed to make it harder for both farm and private units to be endorsed but in literal fact should only be applicable to Eyre Penninsula/West Coast where cattle stations and conservation parks are massive

I've been given the ok by local level regional office to help out but that extra level of protection would've been handy though then again a lot of farm/private units around my area aren't recognized but help out where its safe to do so

I was discussing with a mate of mine who is in local CFS operations about my trailer unit not being recognized as an official resource apparently the rules were changed to make it harder for both farm and private units to be endorsed but in literal fact should only be applicable to Eyre Penninsula/West Coast where cattle stations and conservation parks are massive

I've been given the ok by local level regional office to help out but that extra level of protection would've been handy though then again a lot of farm/private units around my area aren't recognized but help out where its safe to do so
Well with life in the outback people generally know what is essential to their part of the land they dwell in Their self preservation often depends on it. Perhaps governmental overreach is more concerned about preserving Mother Nature and not so much the everyday man of the land the very reason for the catastrophic disasters from many of the bush fires because your not allowed to burn off as much. Though I’m sure many people of the land have their own unofficial setups simply because they must.

I suggest the following:
A. replace your hoses with percolating canvas hoses, for easier handling and increased survivability on the fireground, and
B. install (hermaphrodite) Storz fittings at both ends of each hose, for easier hose management, and abilty to connect with others' fire hoses.

Also, water is often limited, and much can be done with "dry firefighting". I suggest you acquire at least a McLeod Tool to facilitate manually making firebreaks.

Edit: Also, pay attention to the clothing you have. Ensure you have boots which will protect your feet from heat, long thick pants, a thick jacket, gloves, some kind of goggles and a hat to protect your head from radiant heat and reduct the likelihood embers will go down the back of your neck. Everything you wear (excluding goggles and hat of course) should be natural fibres only.
And, water bottles to keep you hydrated.

Last edited:
I suggest the following:
A. replace your hoses with percolating canvas hoses, for easier handling and increased survivability on the fireground, and
B. install (hermaphrodite) Storz fittings at both ends of each hose, for easier hose management, and abilty to connect with others' fire hoses.
First of all g'day Andrew it's nice to see another aussie reply to my thread especially from a state that has been through its share of natural disasters hopefully the waters recede shortly and repairs can be undertaken in all those floods affected areas

To answer your A&B suggestions I actually toyed with the idea of canvas line however due to it requiring drainage of which takes longer after mopping up decided with current rubber lines although that maybe an idea for post fire season 2022/23 as I'm looking at potentially investing in a 2nd TTI brand 220 litre blank tank and building onto that just like I've done with my current trailer unit only next one will be a single line setup but that is pending on if said tank is still available or in stock through the Ebay seller who is selling them

The farm and private fire units down this way use 25mm (1") threaded fitting hoses attached to the pumps or camlock ones if it's bigger capacity say like a 1500l-2000 litre tandem unit of which are also installed with a special suction capacity to draft directly into their tanks a feature that I overlooked due to it being my first time building one but I've attached a wajax (forestry coupling) at rear of my 400 litre tank so it can be refilled directly from a bulk water carrier
Also, water is often limited, and much can be done with "dry firefighting". I suggest you acquire at least a McLeod Tool to facilitate manually making firebreaks.

You are correct sometimes where water is limited or a hotspot is in a hard-to-get area generally a hand tool is better suited for that job of which you'll be happy to know I own a McLeod tool so that will be a part of my inventory definitely

Edit: Also, pay attention to the clothing you have. Ensure you have boots which will protect your feet from heat, long thick pants, a thick jacket, gloves, some kind of goggles and a hat to protect your head from radiant heat and reduct the likelihood embers will go down the back of your neck. Everything you wear (excluding goggles and hat of course) should be natural fibres only.
And, water bottles to keep you hydrated.
Another valid point as were way past 80's and early 90's where people would stand up on the roof with a garden hose wearing only a singlet, shorts/thongs defending their home during a bushfire during mid stages of my trailer unit build I spent close to nearly $400 getting safety lime coloured 2-piece fire outfit including gloves and just recently brought a wide brimmed safety helmet so pretty much a far cry from my childhood when I would haul a wheelbarrow around the backyard with a garden hose, shovel and hoe wearing rubber boots and a plastic fire helmet pretending to be a fireman

In case people might not be at home when a fire toasts their house, their money and private papers will go up in smoke unless it's all in a fireproof safe.
And even if they are at home when a fire hits, would a safe be too heavy and cumbersome to carry to the car or truck when abandoning the house in an emergency?
I haven't got a safe myself, I keep my cash and stuff in a biggish fireproof/waterproof wallet like this one, they come in all sizes and for double protection I also bought a smaller one that fits inside the big one..:)

fireproof-wallet.jpg

G'day everyone I am back to online study starting tomorrow finishing my undergrad in sustainable living through UTAS then commencing an undergrad in emergency management through Charles Sturt Uni on the 13th so apologies for being abit slack with this thread just an update currently La Nina is in its dying stages were looking at a drying trend next month and El Nino quite likely being declared come winter as a few news outlets here have started calling it early but with a degree of caution

My prepping preparations have continued very slowly but quietly despite my offsider and mum calling me crazy for using my buy now/pay later account at present I am waiting on 2 items to arrive from e-bay

1. 2x 650v Uninterrupted Power Supplies for the Lounge Room and offsider bedroom so mum and her have power incase of a blackout
1675585296815.png

2. Pre-tuned/swr tested 27 MHZ base antenna for my AM/SSB base radio so if STHF I've got back up communications to interstate

1675585469955.png

Pending on how much I have in my work pay check from working on Australia Day of which incurred a penalty rate of 75% more due it being a public holiday will possibly look at importing forestry grade layflat fire hose from the states and putting Australian hose adaptors on it this hose will replace one of my black hose lines on fire trailer quite likely the primary attack line at front

1675585772115.png

G'day everyone I am back to online study starting tomorrow finishing my undergrad in sustainable living through UTAS then commencing an undergrad in emergency management through Charles Sturt Uni on the 13th so apologies for being abit slack with this thread just an update currently La Nina is in its dying stages were looking at a drying trend next month and El Nino quite likely being declared come winter as a few news outlets here have started calling it early but with a degree of caution

My prepping preparations have continued very slowly but quietly despite my offsider and mum calling me crazy for using my buy now/pay later account at present I am waiting on 2 items to arrive from e-bay

1. 2x 650v Uninterrupted Power Supplies for the Lounge Room and offsider bedroom so mum and her have power incase of a blackout
View attachment 18862

2. Pre-tuned/swr tested 27 MHZ base antenna for my AM/SSB base radio so if STHF I've got back up communications to interstate

View attachment 18864

Pending on how much I have in my work pay check from working on Australia Day of which incurred a penalty rate of 75% more due it being a public holiday will possibly look at importing forestry grade layflat fire hose from the states and putting Australian hose adaptors on it this hose will replace one of my black hose lines on fire trailer quite likely the primary attack line at front

View attachment 18865

Thought I'd pop my head in after a lengthy stint away from the forums due to study commitments through UTAS of which have now come to a close with 1 more assignment awaiting marking before getting my certificate posted out and currently have another 2 weeks off till session 2 through Charles Sturt University commences in July adding in I've recently been promoted to night shift as result of co worker who usually does it getting demoted to mornings due to bullying and picking on the night time staff at Woolworths

Early variation of the fire trailer unit I posted in November last year has underwent massive upgrades with all connections apart from 1 fully cam locked to allow for quick connect/disconnect all attached to a 8 hp honda engine driven fire pump mounted on a locally made custom frame...these upgrades were made due to the likelyhood of a very brutal fire season coming up from November 2023-March 2024 being more of a reality

Can get 8 minutes of continuous water supply with the pump at full tilt as my hoses are all 19mm meaning that lpm's are lowered to roughly 80-120 litres per minute much likened to early 1.6 hp fire pump which was on there and pumped out 120 lpm this new variation has the ability of also suctioning from an open water source such as a dam, large rubbish bin or other static water source right into via a recirculation line

Latest posts

Back