A question for the more seasoned preppers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankfully our house is all brick so setting it on fire will be difficult.
The roof has class A shingles and are very fire resistant as in you wont be burning me out that way.
We have six fire extinguishers spread throughout the house and garage as well as smoke detectors in the attic that are connected to the home security system.
An additional prep is to install a water sprinkler system on the top of the roof. The sprinkler system can serve two purposed. One to cool the roof during hot spells and second to prevent the roof from being set on fire. The runoff water can be captured from the gutter down sprout and channeled back into a water harvesting tank / barrels.

An additional prep is to install a water sprinkler system on the top of the roof. The sprinkler system can serve two purposed. One to cool the roof during hot spells and second to prevent the roof from being set on fire. The runoff water can be captured from the gutter down sprout and channeled back into a water harvesting tank / barrels.

Not sure I'd drink that water unless you have a good filter system.
There's gonna be a bunch of bird crap in it.

Not sure I'd drink that water unless you have a good filter system.
use. There's gonna be a bunch of bird crap in it.
any water unless it comes from the mains has to be treated as suspicious and filtered and boiled before use.
even more so post collapse.

any water unless it comes from the mains has to be treated as suspicious and filtered and boiled before use.
even more so post collapse.

I wouldnt trust tap water even if the SHTF doesnt happen.
Back when we were kids we drank out of the hose but I sure as hell wouldnt do it these days.
We just got a Berkey,havent tried it yet but I'm looking forward to seeing how well it works.

I got different filtersystems. For stationary use I also have a Berkey on the shelf. Luckily our tap water ist quite good, but very chalky. ItĀ“s provided out of our area, so the community is up to keeping the dwells clean and the pipes in good working order.

Propper waterfiltration is a very important basis/ preparation for survival! So is the storage of good drinking water.

I wouldnt trust tap water even if the SHTF doesnt happen.
Back when we were kids we drank out of the hose but I sure as hell wouldnt do it these days.
We just got a Berkey,havent tried it yet but I'm looking forward to seeing how well it works.
tap water is safe where I live maybe its different where you are.

No, I can't risk getting kicked out of this house. Worst case scenario I'll just be vegetarian or trade. It wouldn't be the first time I've been too poor to have meat šŸ˜… I remember at one point in the early 2000s I had $2/day for food.

But my stored food increases each fortnight. I've plenty of heirloom seeds. The first of the dwarf fruit trees arrived today šŸ˜. I have a good network of friends. When I was off work for a fortnight with covid they were dropping of food/meals/medicine almost daily even though I never asked. ā¤
Isn't there any fish in NZ? There was when I was there. Seems like there's lots of rabbits and possums too. There's your meat.

Isn't there any fish in NZ? There was when I was there. Seems like there's lots of rabbits and possums too. There's your meat.
Good point. Fish and eels are starting to return to the local River. Fonterra (milk factory) screwed up the rivers and the government blamed it on run off from dairy farms. I'll have to get permission from a local farmer to trap rabbits and possums but that shouldn't be too hard.

you mention possums ,I have lived here in Arkansas since 2004,,,, I have never seen one here not even as road kill,,, they have to be here,,, I have been all over the US and have seen them in most states,,,,,,,,,,, they are hiding from me
The first possum i ever saw was when I worked as a welder in Oregon and it wandered in to the shop. I thought it was a huge rat.
FYI, the New Zealand possum and the American possum are very different looking critters.

I find it interesting that you did not just ignore the post, but instead had to respond in a negative manner. You might want to consider why someone bringing up The Lord would offend you. Take care BigPaul and have a wonderful day!
Well the book of Revelation makes it clear that this world is reserved for fire and that no one is is getting out without Our Saviour. Anyone can buy all the food but IF this scenario is true, then all the food in the world makes it no use to them at all. May God bless you and your family.

No, I can't risk getting kicked out of this house. Worst case scenario I'll just be vegetarian or trade. It wouldn't be the first time I've been too poor to have meat šŸ˜… I remember at one point in the early 2000s I had $2/day for food.

But my stored food increases each fortnight. I've plenty of heirloom seeds. The first of the dwarf fruit trees arrived today šŸ˜. I have a good network of friends. When I was off work for a fortnight with covid they were dropping of food/meals/medicine almost daily even though I never asked. ā¤
Can you get Coturnix quails instead, friend? My tiny flock lay a whole bunch of eggs daily and the males are almost silent as long as they have females to mate. Eggs can be brooded out making more birdies for meat for dinner. Not trying to upset anyone here - just saying.

Good point. Fish and eels are starting to return to the local River. Fonterra (milk factory) screwed up the rivers and the government blamed it on run off from dairy farms. I'll have to get permission from a local farmer to trap rabbits and possums but that shouldn't be too hard.
I used to do a lot of fishing in the ocean around the south island and Stewart Island. Caught a lot crays too. Good eating. With all that ocean I dont know how anyone could ever go hungry.

The American possum is awesome. Nearly immune to snake bites and rabies and they eat insects including ticks and also snakes. They will clear your yard of creeping crawling vermen. They are honored guests at my place.

Possums also pass a virus in their feces that can kill a horse. Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis (EPM). It is a neurological disease. It is horrible to watch. IF they survive, they are often can never be safely ridden again.

Possums also pass a virus in their feces that can kill a horse. Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis (EPM). It is a neurological disease. It is horrible to watch. IF they survive, they are often can never be safely ridden again.
That would suck for folks that have horses. Horses seem to be one of the more fragile land creatures. I really donā€™t see how horses or dogs survived before there were vets that charged thousands of dollars over the life of the animal.

Latest posts

Back