Next big fire in Australia and preppers preparations

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Robert Stewart

Reaction score
G'day everyone apologies for big largely absent for so long mostly in-part due to working then being laid off in September 2019 by the old employer who lost contract renewal bid followed by being put on in April 2020 by new employer in my old job amidst the pandemic then having to uproot myself in mid 2021 to move back home due to the house I rented being repossessed as result of landlords misappropriating my rent instead of paying mortgage

Anyways before going off track as everyone knows Australia is currently in La Nina phase with most of NSW as well as Parts of Victoria underwater due to high rainfall over winter and spring in addition to decent rainfall in South Australia however it will be a double-edged sword once La Nina dissipates in summer and El Nino possibly makes a rapid appearance in 2nd half of 2023 followed by a drought and hot 2024 meaning triple fuel load as to what was seen in 2019/2020 black summer season

Even though my area has seen decent grass/scrub fires in 2021 near Lucindale and earlier this year at Callendale it will be 40 years next year and 41 in 2024 since Ash Wednesday occurred which is well over the average wait for something big to happen as a rural prepper I spent most of Winter slowing putting together a 400 litre slip on unit to put on my 6x4 trailer so in event of a SHTF situation is to occur in summer 23 or 24 I am well positioned to help out or just position the unit for asset protection

What have other fellow preppers done in terms of preparations for the next big fire

1669194585481.png

The above picture is my completed fire unit equipped with 1x10m and 2x 25m hose lines, 4 stroke 1.6 hp 120 l/pm fire pump all attached to a trans tank international 400 litre liquid cartage tank

rainingcatzanddogs

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your troubles. That landlord sounds like a real snake.

Most of our fire preps have more to do with building materials.
The year of the Bastrop Fires,
1669385074139.png

there were many fires that broke out around our area.
In the Hill country
1669385200429.png

(BOL1)
which is a disaster waiting to happen; it is left quite natural with Juniper (we call it cedar because the wood smells like it) and many plants which are naturally drought tolerant and thus, high in oils,
they tend to burst in to flames once they are exposed to a certain temperature. They burn fast and hot.

There would not be a lot you could do to put it out once it has started. Our fire plan if it was close, is to pack up the animals and then G.O.O.D. to BOL2. You just hope that the things you have done, like trimming back trees, clearing brush and having stone clad buildings, metal roofs and aluminum gutters, will save your house.

For small fires that start here, we have an underground line, gravity fed with several spickets and hoses that allow us to run water over the entire property and put those out.

Robert Stewart

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your troubles. That landlord sounds like a real snake.
Thanks for that rainingcatzanddogs it was an uphill battle big time trying to even get maintenance done over the last 3 years I lived in that house heck even the previous 2 landlords before the former ones who went bankrupt were able to do some form of basic maintenance even if it was getting a new hot water service replaced or even putting in new smoke detectors but the useless ones I had to put up with from roughly 2018-2020 didn't do diddly squat of which even infuriated my ex property manager to no end who even tried her hardest to convince the bank to keep me in there

Australia be a land of diverse climate. I’m sure your fire trailer will see action soon enough

Very true Ling31 I tried to get it endorsed by the Country Fire Service as a recognized resource as extra layer of protection however that proved to be difficult so they advised me to just remain a private owner/operator and help out where needed even if it's simply sitting stationary and waiting for a fire to cross the road before trying to stop it or just provide mopping up/patrolling

1669385200429.png

(BOL1)
which is a disaster waiting to happen; it is left quite natural with Juniper (we call it cedar because the wood smells like it) and many plants which are naturally drought tolerant and thus, high in oils,
they tend to burst in to flames once they are exposed to a certain temperature. They burn fast and hot.
My hometown of Kalangadoo is smack bang located in middle of the LSE of South Australia we've got pine plantations at Glencoe and Nangwarry as well as Sugar gum plantation at Mount Mc Intyre and young pines in same location adding in farmland not currently being used for potato growing so there's no real safe route to evacuate if STHF situation does happen with closest designated safe towns being 25 and 30 minutes away again the routes to these towns take you through those hazardous fuel loads that could be burning

There would not be a lot you could do to put it out once it has started. Our fire plan if it was close, is to pack up the animals and then G.O.O.D. to BOL2. You just hope that the things you have done, like trimming back trees, clearing brush and having stone clad buildings, metal roofs and aluminum gutters, will save your house.

For small fires that start here, we have an underground line, gravity fed with several spickets and hoses that allow us to run water over the entire property and put those out.
Around same time I decided to build a trailer unit earlier this year also invested in an 8hp pump to replace mum's ageing 5 hp fire pump of which was purchased in the early 90's its water source is unground bore at present it has a single rubber line attached but that can be swapped over easily to a 25 mm 1 inch canvas hose or a camlock 30m line if the need arises to protect the house or sheds

On a perfect fire day of which now by modern definition here in Austral is 40+ degrees. 40-70 km/h winds and a fire danger index of more than 200 generally results in early evacs of people who aren't well prepared hence the reason I installed the new bore connected pump for mum but if push does come to shove we have 3 evacuation points in town being local pub, primary school and football oval

Ling31

God Like
Reaction score
Thanks for that rainingcatzanddogs it was an uphill battle big time trying to even get maintenance done over the last 3 years I lived in that house heck even the previous 2 landlords before the former ones who went bankrupt were able to do some form of basic maintenance even if it was getting a new hot water service replaced or even putting in new smoke detectors but the useless ones I had to put up with from roughly 2018-2020 didn't do diddly squat of which even infuriated my ex property manager to no end who even tried her hardest to convince the bank to keep me in there

Very true Ling31 I tried to get it endorsed by the Country Fire Service as a recognized resource as extra layer of protection however that proved to be difficult so they advised me to just remain a private owner/operator and help out where needed even if it's simply sitting stationary and waiting for a fire to cross the road before trying to stop it or just provide mopping up/patrolling

My hometown of Kalangadoo is smack bang located in middle of the LSE of South Australia we've got pine plantations at Glencoe and Nangwarry as well as Sugar gum plantation at Mount Mc Intyre and young pines in same location adding in farmland not currently being used for potato growing so there's no real safe route to evacuate if STHF situation does happen with closest designated safe towns being 25 and 30 minutes away again the routes to these towns take you through those hazardous fuel loads that could be burning

Around same time I decided to build a trailer unit earlier this year also invested in an 8hp pump to replace mum's ageing 5 hp fire pump of which was purchased in the early 90's its water source is unground bore at present it has a single rubber line attached but that can be swapped over easily to a 25 mm 1 inch canvas hose or a camlock 30m line if the need arises to protect the house or sheds

On a perfect fire day of which now by modern definition here in Austral is 40+ degrees. 40-70 km/h winds and a fire danger index of more than 200 generally results in early evacs of people who aren't well prepared hence the reason I installed the new bore connected pump for mum but if push does come to shove we have 3 evacuation points in town being local pub, primary school and football oval
They do say a lot of these bush fires wouldn’t get to the gigantic infernos they become if proper burn offs were reinstated as was once the practice. I’m not sure when that was changed but maybe the reason for the mega disasters we are seeing. Sorry to hear that your resource wasn’t recognised as useful by the government department like many things.

Robert Stewart

Reaction score
They do say a lot of these bush fires wouldn’t get to the gigantic infernos they become if proper burn offs were reinstated as was once the practice. I’m not sure when that was changed but maybe the reason for the mega disasters we are seeing. Sorry to hear that your resource wasn’t recognised as useful by the government department like many things.
I was discussing with a mate of mine who is in local CFS operations about my trailer unit not being recognized as an official resource apparently the rules were changed to make it harder for both farm and private units to be endorsed but in literal fact should only be applicable to Eyre Penninsula/West Coast where cattle stations and conservation parks are massive

I've been given the ok by local level regional office to help out but that extra level of protection would've been handy though then again a lot of farm/private units around my area aren't recognized but help out where its safe to do so

Latest posts