A question for the more seasoned preppers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Countries across the planet are crashing and going into a Venezuela type existence from which there will likely be no upturn in most of our lifetimes . Those that have prepared for the long haul " years " will survive on top of the heap . Those that prepared to exist only for a few weeks or months will be in a dire position . Those that didn't prepare at all will live as sub-humans or perish . We are now entering something not seen since perhaps medieval times .

Those of you who been preppers for decades, you've seen more crises, threats, events, economic highs and lows, so I feel you're a better judge of the current situation.

What are your thoughts on the current global situation from a preppers perspective?
Switch off your tv - that´s my first advice to you. I have never seen so much fear and hate breeding propaganda.

Then just go on stocking up on everything. Especially things that needs to be shipped to you. This combined crisis surley keeps some unwanted surprises for us.

Everything you buy now will save you money in future. Here in Germany we had foodprices exploding somewhere between 20% to 80% the last two months.

Food prices have exploded and the future does not look good. Do what you can do...water, food buying, storing, animals, growing food, whatever you personally can do. I believe you should stock 2 yrs worth. And know how to produce more. Don't put your faith in any government, you need to get going and provide for yourself and your family. I don't think it's going to get better.

back in the day there was that overall constant of the Russian nuke threat - no terrorist crap - the occasional hurricane or earthquake for a natural disaster >>> pretty much just a single threat to face on an occasional multi-year basis ...

the overlapping and tangent and succession of SHTFs actually started with the fall of the USSR in the 1990s - it changed to "prepper" from "survivalist" about the same time - the nuke threat was gone .....

you can also date back to that same time period the start of the US domestic problems - the rise of the Clintons and an accepted crooked DC - DNC power play at any cost to the US .....

Switch off your tv - that´s my first advice to you. I have never seen so much fear and hate breeding propaganda.

Then just go on stocking up on everything. Especially things that needs to be shipped to you. This combined crisis surley keeps some unwanted surprises for us.

Everything you buy now will save you money in future. Here in Germany we had foodprices exploding somewhere between 20% to 80% the last two months.
. What we see on TV here is a couple months behind what I start reading about and thinking about doing. It’s almost like following the sheep.
Saw TV about poultry and eggs last week -I did that months ago.
Stiil haven’t seen anything about Diesel Exhaust Fluid, though some right wing media sites have started bringing it out. I read about the issue months ago in Aus and Korea.

Read what is happening elsewhere and project it to your situation. I am sitting of a 6 month supply of DEF and upping that level soon. At worst, it’s a hedge on inflation.

I started prepping in the mid 1980's, when it looked like the USA and Russia might go to war. There's been plenty of events since then, recessions, hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, bird flu, swine flu, sars, covid, massive bushfires and massive floods, even major volcanic eruptions. There were countless times during the last 40 years I've heard doomsayers scream the end is nigh. Y2k, peak oil, peak food, planet x, emp's, real estate bubble burst, invasion by China, Russia, Indonesia etc etc etc.

And whilst many people have been adversely impacted by these events, the vast majority have not been.

From age 21 I prepped for financial security. That's a prep that will stand you in good stead regardless of what happens in the world. I went from abandoned child to self made multi millionaire, making my fortune from real estate at the same time many preppers were telling me the bubble was about to burst. It hasn't, it won't, and while they cry over missed opportunity my net worth keeps increasing.

So my advice is the current world situation is just more of the same we've seen over the last 40 years, the odds are you will be fine, but becoming financially independent should be your goal regardless of world events. And a pantry full of food never hurt either.

You cannot have enough of everything, know enough survival, down to the last battery, toothbrush, toilet paper and medicine...
Watch MadMax again and put yourself inside the water fortification area...
What you cannot make, buy or find...you will have to barter and trade for. We will not go back into the stoneage as many think. But the production of food, materials and clothing will be greatly slowed or stopped. The distribution of anything will be slowed to a trickle if the elites want it that way to control us. The control of TV, radio and newspapers is already under their hands. Get many books to read and learn farming, trapping, gardening, electricity, woodworking and metalworking. You will need to know a little bit about everything. Tools, fishing, hunting. Salt and sugar for canning. Several water sources all year round. Learn to go barefoot as much as possible. Find the medicinal plants in your area of the world. Start learning and try foraging for edibles now. Get sewing stuff together. Get to know your neighbors slowly to get a team of survivors together. Have several hiding places nearby to run to and have supplies there. Decide to stay put and what you need to do so. Decide to bug out and what you need to do so. Decide which to do and practice both as the situation developes and do NOT BE AFRAID to do either. Start wearing your backpack every few days for as long as possible to get your shoulder muscles stronger. Get a means to pull or drag more stocks with you if you bug out and get used to pulling it. Learn to work without electricity and light. Work at day and sleep at night. Get the best you can to stay warm in winter. Start everything now. Get strong and do something every day that scares you. Watch how your family grows with the learning and make games for the kids to play so they learn with you. Learning must be fun or it will not stick and be usable. Live free, Gary

I personally believe that we're in the beginnings of SHTF now. How bad will things get? Nobody knows for sure, but I think things will get much worse. I think it would be prudent to get out of debt, build up a good garden, raise some livestock (at least chickens and rabbits), learn about wild edibles in your area and stock up on everything needed to preserve your own food. Learn how to smoke and dry fish and game for when the power goes out. Store up all the ammo that you can find. Even though I have a couple life times supply of ammo and reloading components I still buy all the .22LR and shotgun ammo I can find. Other family members may need some eventually.
We have well over a years supply of food now, in fact we've been living off some of it to help reduce our grocery bill now. I have over a years supply of propane, a lifetime supply of firewood, over 600 gallons of diesel and gasoline and were on solar.
We have some tough times ahead of us, and if we allow the Marxist democrats to steal another election then I think that we may not recover from the hard times.

I am full up on my stores. I keep reading everything I can to figure out how to improve them. Anymore and I will have to build a shed (but those plans are in the works)
I started building another storage shed last fall. I'll finish it this spring. We have some plumbing to reroute under the house and when we're finished we'll move alot our stock under the house. Can't have too much storage space.

depends what one is prepping for, in the UK we dont have the extremes of weather or the big natural preditors you have in the US;
I've been prepping most of my adult life in one form or another, grew up with WW2 parents.
most usual events and threats preppers have come through at least once more like several times.
my main prepping threat is the collapse of society for whatever reason, I prep not for the event itself but for what comes after.

people were prepping in the UK just after the end of WW2 because they thought there was going to be a war with Russia, they didnt call it prepping of course the word hadnt been invented then, but they looked for rural off grid places where they could grow their own food and forage for edibles, seems nothing has changed in the last 7 decades, here we go again.

no thanks you can leave me out of that one.
not every prepper is religious.

I find it interesting that you did not just ignore the post, but instead had to respond in a negative manner. You might want to consider why someone bringing up The Lord would offend you. Take care BigPaul and have a wonderful day!

Ive been prepping'
Those of you who been preppers for decades, you've seen more crises, threats, events, economic highs and lows, so I feel you're a better judge of the current situation.

What are your thoughts on the current global situation from a preppers perspective?

I've been "prepping" most of my life. My mother and father both lived through very hard times (one, The Great Depression, Dust Bowl years and the other was a east European WWII war refugee), so being ready for hard times was just the way we lived.

I grew up in the 70's and 80's and remember hearing the word "No" a lot as a child. No, we cannot get strawberries out of season, they are not in the budget. No, we cannot afford to go on vacation this year. No, you cannot have the designer clothes....

When things would break, you fixed them yourself rather than replacing them or, you just made do without until you could replace them.

Things are very different now. IMHO, most people, who never lived through that kind of experience, have become weak and there are many of those these days. Even amongst the welfare classes, most don't know how to cook from scratch, can't fix or do anything for themselves, they cannot sew, they don't know how to save/invest money. Children don't know how to occupy themselves without a computer, cell phone or video game. Hell, many kids don't get a job until after they are 18 years old.

Most people just assume the things they need like water, shelter, food, clothing...are just always going to be there. They have never known any differently. Worse yet, they have completely lost the basic knowledge and skillsets my grandparents had to get through difficult times. Not just to stretch a dollar but, to provide for themselves the things their family would need to survive. They expect for the government to provide for them. Dependence on government is weakness. A well provided for slave is still a slave.

We have created an unsustainable society and I am NOT talking about climate change. The fact that I must provide that caveat, should tell you much of where we are. We are blinded.

Our government spends more money in one year than it brings in over ten and they have found creative ways of hiding it. Politicians have no honor, no principles and no integrity. Regardless of party, they seek to not only differentiate themselves from "the other" but, to foment divisiveness and hatred within the American population itself and the people are embracing that mentality.

We expect our politicians to find solutions to disagreements when we ourselves are unable or unwilling to do the same!

The nuclear family has been destroyed; terms like "baby Daddy" have replaced "Father" and "Husband". Divorce has become too common, and a life long commitment to marriage, too uncommon.

In short, we have sold ourselves up the river.

This house of cards we have built, WILL fall and when it does, We, The People, will not have the resiliency to provide for ourselves. Instead, we will stupidly turn to those who caused the problem in the first place to fix it.

I give us less than five years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back