Wood Stoves

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too. I can follow instructions on plans and think at the same time, to adjust for my needs. My wife sees a pic of something and then: " can you make that?"
Usually it works out, but I am a jack of all trades and a master of none. As long as she is happy when it is finished, ya know?
I'm no artist, I can only copy a pic or adapt a plan to fit my needs...

Last edited:
I admire anyone who has any artistic ability. I have zero.
They say it sometimes skips a generation. That is certainly true with me. Give me a pencil and tell me to draw a circle and it might possibly come out looking something like a circle. My mother and my daughter are both extremely gifted in that area.

I have built some really beautiful furniture, but don’t really call that art. It’s more math and good tools. I rarely follow an exact plan either, so if I have a 36” piece of wood, well, that’s how tall my version of something I’m copying will be...

Mineral wool (redirect from Kaowool)
1300 °C and in critical chemical and physical application conditions. Kaowool is a type of high-temperature mineral wool made from the mineral kaolin.
Used to insulate the stove, maybe a spare piece or you need to insert it somewhere. Could also be used with window cleaner to clean a glass window on the stove while hot, if yours has a window...GP

Mineral wool (redirect from Kaowool)
1300 °C and in critical chemical and physical application conditions. Kaowool is a type of high-temperature mineral wool made from the mineral kaolin.
Used to insulate the stove, maybe a spare piece or you need to insert it somewhere. Could also be used with window cleaner to clean a glass window on the stove while hot, if yours has a window...GP

Thanks. No window though

Yes, shape and size could help.
ALSO, be careful not to inhale any dust or fibers from this stuff. If it anything like the "rockwool" we have here, that is not good, a light face mask or filter is needed to work with it, gloves are a good idea also.

Question...... got my stove today and I'm going over assembly instructions. There is a piece of KAO wool but there is zero mention of what to do with it.
Its an EPA piece of crap. It generally goes between the baffle and the inside top of the stove. I recommend taking it out and throwing it away. It'll plug up and stop the smoke from going up the chimney. Plus it keeps the heat from getting the top of the stove hot enough to cook on.

Last edited:
I noticed it didn't come with fire bricks. Oops. I have to go to the farm store tomorrow. They should have some.
You shouldn't need fire bricks in your cast iron stove. I've never used them in my cast iron stoves. Unless you have a very large fire box, the bricks will limit the amount of wood that you can stoke your fire with.
The Kuma stove that I have in the house came with fire bricks, but it is made of steel plate and has a much larger fire box than my cast iron stove.

Look at inside of door, is there a groove, where the materiel could be packed?

It was a sealed crate
Its an EPA piece of crap. It generally goes between the baffle and the inside top of the stove. I recommend taking it out and throwing it away. It'll plug up and stop the smoke from going up the chimney. Plus it keeps the heat from getting the top of the stove hot enough to cook on.

Thanks Arctic

You shouldn't need fire bricks in your cast iron stove. I've never used them in my cast iron stoves. Unless you have a very large fire box, the bricks will limit the amount of wood that you can stoke your fire with.
The Kuma stove that I have in the house came with fire bricks, but it is made of steel plate and has a much larger fire box than my cast iron stove.

Another great one Arctic. My instructions don't mention them. Tgis is a VERY small stove so not much room for wood to begin with.

Another great one Arctic. My instructions don't mention them. Tgis is a VERY small stove so not much room for wood to begin with.
On my cast iron stove it came with out a door gasket. So I bought a piece of bulk gasket material (looks rope) and some high temp glue. I cut it to fit the inside of the door and glued it in place. Now the door fits tighter, is better sealed, will produce more heat and it slows down the burn somewhat.

Robin, another thing that I'd recommend for your new wood stove is to keep couple bottles of water handy, like the 16 ounce size. If your stove ever gets away from you or you have a chimney fire, and can't cut off the flow of oxygen, just open the door and toss a couple bottles of water inside. That'll usually put the fire out and the steam will/should put the chimney fire out too. I've had to do this before. I've also had to climb on the roof and shovel snow down the chimney to put out a chimney fire.

Robin, another thing that I'd recommend for your new wood stove is to keep couple bottles of water handy, like the 16 ounce size. If your stove ever gets away from you or you have a chimney fire, and can't cut off the flow of oxygen, just open the door and toss a couple bottles of water inside. That'll usually put the fire out and the steam will/should put the chimney fire out too. I've had to do this before. I've also had to climb on the roof and shovel snow down the chimney to put out a chimney fire.

I'm afraid of heights so I would have to shoot the water hose up the chimney or just let the thing burn.

Latest posts

Back