Wood Stoves

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extreme heat in the chimney draws better and burns the oils completely and only steam comes out the top.
That's where I made the mistake when I installed the wood stove in the cabin. I went with tripple wall pipe through the ceiling and above the roof. In my climate I should have used double wall pipe. Tripple wall pipe doesn't get hot enough so it builds up with soot. That's why I need to clean my chimney every 6 weeks or so.

If you can get a thermometer that reads up to 1000 degrees F. and drill a hole in the pipe about 3 feet up, you can adjust the flue until the right draft speed is found. A true blue hot chimney draws out to around 750 to 800 degrees. At 800, the metal turns red hot. The hotter burn will reduce the soot unless you are using wood with a too high moisture content or too much pine or evergreen wood with a high pitch and resin content. Not saying you're that dumb, but that would be the only other reason for so much soot, Do you only have one flue in the stove or another on the pipe also?

If you can get a thermometer that reads up to 1000 degrees F. and drill a hole in the pipe about 3 feet up, you can adjust the flue until the right draft speed is found. A true blue hot chimney draws out to around 750 to 800 degrees. At 800, the metal turns red hot. The hotter burn will reduce the soot unless you are using wood with a too high moisture content or too much pine or evergreen wood with a high pitch and resin content. Not saying you're that dumb, but that would be the only other reason for so much soot, Do you only have one flue in the stove or another on the pipe also?
From the stove to the ceiling I use single wall pipe, with a damper. Thats not the issue. From the ceiling through the roof up to the cap is tripple wall pipe. That's where I'm told by an "expert" the problem is. According to him I need to change it out to double wall so that it'll get hot enough to burn the soot out. It's pretty easy to clean so I'm in no hurry to buy more pipe.
I only burn dead dry Western larch or Doug fir. No paper, trash or anything other than dry wood.
We'll see. The chimney on the house is much longer than the cabin and it's double wall pipe. It goes through two stories.

OK, thought you would only burn the good stuff, just had to say something that sounded smart. The longer the chimney the more air pressure from above. Meaning the hotter the exhaust needs to be to compensate and rise fast to make a good draw. Do you have a wind spinner on the top of the chimney? There is a piece of funny shaped metal the truckers put on top of their diesel exhaust stacks. Its' form makes a double tornado behind this metal which pulls the exhaust out of the tall pipes and lets the motor better "exhale", which increases motor power and decreases fuel consumption. If you could see how they are shaped and build one onto your chimney, you might get better results.

Worked about 4 hours cutting kindling sized wood with a reciprocating saw. When I stopped and went into house. I literally had to pull myself up when I sat down. Immediately got an ice pack and viola, I was walking within an hour.

I had to go into woods to find limbs we had drug into the trees to hide them before the wedding 2 years ago. Some were over seasoned, but....

My neighbor came over and showed me hackberry trees. He said they were a medium hard wood and didn't have to season as long. These have been down since the big storm in the Summer. Now I know what to cut next.

It has nothing to do with the thread, but I have an unbelievable pic for you all. In Yosemite Nat'l Park is the cliff you see as you drive down into the park. When the situation is right, then you get pictures like this. But the situation must be RIGHT...
1. It must have snowed enough
2. The snow must have started melting
3. Only on a clear day
4. Just as the sun is coming up
5. At exact the right time of day.
6. From just the right angle
7. Get a picture of the melted snow flowing over the El Capitan cliff,
Firefall 6.jpg
as a waterfall in the light of the rising sun!!
Patience and Luck gets you a view of a lifetime that only happens every many years...GP

It has nothing to do with the thread, but I have an unbelievable pic for you all. In Yosemite Nat'l Park is the cliff you see as you drive down into the park. When the situation is right, then you get pictures like this. But the situation must be RIGHT...
1. It must have snowed enough
2. The snow must have started melting
3. Only on a clear day
4. Just as the sun is coming up
5. At exact the right time of day.
6. From just the right angle
7. Get a picture of the melted snow flowing over the El Capitan cliff,View attachment 9740 as a waterfall in the light of the rising sun!!
Patience and Luck gets you a view of a lifetime that only happens every many years...GP
Truly beautiful. I’ve seen that image before. A woman was climbing that rock face just recently and fell 4 stories. She had to be rescued by an expert climber, but I believe she is going to be all right. Funny, I was telling my wife about it just now and her reply was ‘wait, they make you wear a helmet to ride a bike, wear a seatbelt in a car, and even in a plane (which is really about uselessly stupid), and yet they let morons climb mountains like this’.

From the stove to the ceiling I use single wall pipe, with a damper. Thats not the issue. From the ceiling through the roof up to the cap is tripple wall pipe. That's where I'm told by an "expert" the problem is. According to him I need to change it out to double wall so that it'll get hot enough to burn the soot out. It's pretty easy to clean so I'm in no hurry to buy more pipe.
I only burn dead dry Western larch or Doug fir. No paper, trash or anything other than dry wood.
We'll see. The chimney on the house is much longer than the cabin and it's double wall pipe. It goes through two stories.

I have never heard of larch.

Latest posts

Back