Wood Stoves

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In your area, how much are 55 gallon metal drums, sealed and suitable for shop wood heater?
Years ago my dad built a wood stove out of a barrel for his shop. I think he bought the door and hardware kit from Nothern Tool. He alao welded a flat plate of 3/16" steel to the top of the barrel for cooking and heating stuff up on.

Years ago my dad built a wood stove out of a barrel for his shop. I think he bought the door and hardware kit from Nothern Tool. He alao welded a flat plate of 3/16" steel to the top of the barrel for cooking and heating stuff up on.
Yep, that is what I'm going to do. Looking for a source of drums that isn't $100+ in Texas.

I bought an made in siberia wood stove for tents... stainless steel plate, simplest construction, 5 kilo light and serves the purpose. Second hand and completly unused. Poshehonka Ofen Set S - Basisversion - i paid not even half price. Was actually planned for wintercamping, but as well it works at home if heating collapses.

Over here we like to make em out of discarded Propane or Butane bottles, We removed the gas valve and fill em with water then cut the openings with a 4 inch angle grinder.

1610210475544.jpeg

1610210500696.jpeg

I'm sure I'm using lots more wood because I re-re-converted back to a fireplace, but dang, I have gone through a ton of wood. I don't use it every day and usually stop adding wood by 5:00 p.m.

Now I have a better idea of the amount I will need next year. My neighbor is helping me down an oak and elm in a few weeks. The oak has a large split and it and the elm are shading my garden.

I have been walking the woods and have numerous dead saplings I can use as kindling. It will burn fast but makes a good starter.

I have always had a wood stove at my house in Montana. The electric furnace only kicks in when we leave for a day or two. It is an airtight Blaze King with a thermostat that controls the air supply. It generally burns from October to April with some down time for ash cleaning. There are wood stoves in the garage and the fort as well. I dug up a dead man and put it under the stove. That is not as gross as it sounds. For those of you who don't know, a dead man is a round piece of concrete about 3 feet across with a hole in the center. When you are putting in electric poles at the corner, you dig a hole and bury the dead man with a cable through the hole. Run the cable to the top of the pole and it will maintain tension against the weight of the wires.
I hear hardwood is best but there are very few here. Millions of Douglas Fir and Ponderosa Pine though.
Wood cut and stacked in April will generally dry by October as the humidity is very low.
One of the first words my son learned was "HOT". I don't remember him ever burning himself on the stove.
Anything I didn't want a kid to mess with was 'HOT. Worked for a few years.

Latest posts

Back