Wood Stoves

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinjopo1

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
I had a wood fireplace and converted it to gas logs.

I'm thinking about converting to a stove or insert. Which do you suggest? It looks like inserts are twice as much as stoves.

Please give me your input. I live in woods, so wood is plentiful. Plus, in Tennessee, it wouldnt be needed daily.

Love my Aga wood burning stove , its the entire foundation of my domestic preps. With a wood stove you are free of the burdon of relying on the mains electricity or gas for heating and cooking if TSHTF. You have plenty of wood, its FREE so start chopping.

Last edited:
Everyone in our community should have as many alternatives to grid utilities as possible, Gas, Elec, Water, Sewage,. so Log / Wood stoves, Wind/ Solar / Battery backups, Water butts / Wells, Cesspit etc, If you have wood, surface coal, oil tar, peat etc its insane not to use it.

Bottled gas is a good alternative in some circumstances for portable, heater, cookers, lights, water boiler etc

In many modern homes if the electricity goes off then so does the gas and water as both are pumped to your home using electricity. So no leccy means no running faucets, no lights, no heating, no cooking, no flushing toilets.

Everyone really should have a Berkfield / Big Berky some place easily to hand plus enough fresh DRINKING / COOKING (not washing) water storage capacity for at least a week.

Last edited:
I'm thinking ahead to when I'm gone and my kids are here with the world gone to hell. I want them to be abble to cook, heat, etc when the propane runs out.

Buy ( if you can) or MAKE a wood / coal stove preferably with a water heating coil in it. Then you can warm the house, heat hot water and cook / bake. If its for the kids in later years then get them out planting saplings NOW.

I think you can get Thermosyphon hot water systems that will heat up a tank of water upstairs from a woodstove downstairs that does not require electricity. It uses the principle of HEAT ( and hot water) rises, so the water circulates with the hottest water ending up in an insulated tank in the loft. If can be boosted by a couple of solar water heating panels on the roof.

Last edited:
We are complete surrounded by trees.

I found a cast iron that is retro looking. I dont need a huge one since Tennessee is mild most of the year.

Looks is a girly thing, the important thing is it must be a THICK WALL stove not a thin wall stove, Thick wall CAST IRON stoves last for decades, thin ones years, BUT Thick wall stoves heat up and store heat in the cast iron that can keep the place warm for HOURS after the fire has gone out, thin steel stoves cool down too quick.
Tis good you dont neec a huge one but you do want one with the most MASS, the heaviest thickest walls your money can buy, and preferably lined with good quality fire bricks ( always keep spares and fire cement)

This is mine it took two very strong men to get it into place, it burns wood or coal and heats a north British 3 bedroom home easily in winter its about 6KW

aga_little_wenlock_classic_multifuel_woodburning_stove.jpg

I like that look. My fireplace opening is much smaller. I would have to place a unit outside of the actual fireplace.

Just ensure you have a wider fireproof hearth then, and remember that wood stoves need to have around six inches MINIMUM around to top, sides and back to be effective.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Free standing stoves need enclosures?
Yes. My exiating slate hearth is only 12 inches deep. I would definitely have to bring it out
You will be surprised just how bloody far spitting fiorewood embers and exploding sap can bloodywell travel. TWICE I have scorched the sofa on the other side of the room.

We use sacrificial mats and rugs in front of the stove to protect the carpet. I suggest at least 18 inches of hearth at the front or a stone floor.

If I was a real girly girl I would definitely go with a pot belly stove. The cooking surface is way too small though. I have cast iron cookware. (Lots) so I would have that part covered.

You can but quite small stoves that have buiilt in bread ovens and they are great.

VTBunBakernoss-275x399.jpg

prototype-tiny-cookstove.jpg

IMG_5284.JPG

Last edited:
You will be surprised just how bloody far spitting fiorewood embers and exploding sap can bloodywell travel. TWICE I have scorched the sofa on the other side of the room.

We use sacrificial mats and rugs in front of the stove to protect the carpet. I suggest at least 18 inches of hearth at the front or a stone floor.

I agree. When we were using this as a wood fireplace, I put down old linoleum just to catch the embers.

Latest posts

Back