Wood Stoves

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did get a large load of firewood up on the deck today. I didn’t manage to get it inside yet, but at least it’s close for tomorrow. I use the lawnmower and a tilt cart to bring it up to the house, beats the wheel barrow I used to use. Ive had the wood stove going every morning for several days now. It is a somehow satisfying to heat with wood over setting a thermostat.

Leaves break down and become fertilizer, the way nature intended. I run the mower over them and mulch most of it but never rake any of them up.
I blew them from the carport, driveway, patio and sidewalks into the yard. And out of some drainage ditches. Had to do some weeding too. My mower is always set on mulch, and I'll mulch them when I get time.

I'm really enjoying my little stove. It is helping with the storm clean up too.

Husband is bitching about the smell, but I ignore him.

The price of the saw and stove is still less than we would have paid for a clean up. Plus, we are getting free heat. Maybe he will realize ....... oh never mind, he won't.

Okay prepper people. I need a stove pipe that is shaped like this dryer pipe. Any ideas where I can find one?
Screenshot_2019-12-23-11-05-46.png

I think you will have to use two 45 degree ones to get the 90, And that is NOT reccomended, as I believe a 90 degree turn simply becomes a tar / creasote trap/ hot spot.

|
/ = Good
|

__ | = Bad
|

Last edited:
I remember seeing 90deg fittings in Lowe’s and Home Depot in their plumbing depts with the stove pipe accessories. Not sure if they still do as some areas outlawed 90’s for safety. All I can suggest is if you do use a 90 then make sure to clean it more often. I actually know a guy that the 90 came apart at night sending the hot exhaust up and caught the ceiling on fire, burning down the whole house. Of course it was winter so the hose was frozen and he couldn’t do anything but watch. He hadn’t used the screws to prevent the joints from coming apart.

Its very common for mild steel 90s to burn through much quicker than the rest of the stove pipes, it becomes like a second combustion chamber that swirls the exhaust gases as the heat tries to rise vertically, plus it traps tar and creosote, and it also makes sweeping the chimny much harder. It also affects the " draw" of the chimney.

Went to the neighbor and got 20 pieces of the oak I had given him 2 years ago. (Before I considered a stove) and it was amazing how it burned compared to the crap I have.

I cut more yesterday and it has seasoned about a year so I'm hoping to have better luck with it than the last tree I cut.
I burn everything, as in types of wood, not trash. No doubt good hardwoods last longer and produce less ash. Poplar seems to produce more volume of ash than it had in wood..... it all keeps you warm though.

I gave all of my good wood away prior to buying my stove. I have a couple of oaks I need to cut so that they can be seasoning ASAP. I can't drop them, but can take care of them once they are on the ground.
I hired a tree company to drop six trees here with 4 of them needing to be roped down in pieces as they were over buildings. The cost wasn’t too bad without the cleanup. Of course I still have a big pile behind one building. I cleaned up all the stuff in visible sight and that filled my wood bins so as I use some I will continue cutting up the pile back there slowly.

I've had medium sized oak fall, a large oak break in two in a hurricane, and had three large oaks taken down in the yard two of which had to be roped down, and one had to be lifted over the house by crane. I didn't save all of it, but I did save a good bit. The last one, I told the tree guys to leave the last large section of the trunk where it lay. They thanked me profusely because it was in a very awkward spot to remove.

Latest posts

Back