Solar Power

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clydesdale, ya a bug bag with solar? lol someone was using their head on that one. this to me would be a great bug bag!

also, ive noticed while driving around, that almost every school around me is putting up solar power panels above their car ports, come DD it maybe a good place to pillage solar panels/power from that not alotta people are going to think about.... well for awhile anyway.... lol or maybe just when they see parking lights come on and no power in the city.

also, ive noticed while driving around, that almost every school around me is putting up solar power panels above their car ports, come DD it maybe a good place to pillage solar panels/power from that not alotta people are going to think about.... well for awhile anyway.... lol or maybe just when they see parking lights come on and no power in the city.
there is a kaiser permanente hospital in orange county i saw making those kind of car ports when I would drive to and from work.

i wonder if those hand crank flashlight/radios would generate other electricitys if pulled apart and hooked up right?

that would depend on rpm (revolutions per minute) if it were something small, it may only take a few turns per minute, but say to equal a car alternator (generator) you would need at least about 3000 rpm, and like the crank radio, the power would fade unless it was kept at that speed.
you can build your own generators too, theres aloooota youtube videos on how to build'em, all yo need really is copper wire (that you can find in any house when shtf, electric line, cords etc.) and magnets (probably gonna be the hard part to find) but remember any DC moter is also a generater (if given enough rpm)

that would depend on rpm (revolutions per minute) if it were something small, it may only take a few turns per minute, but say to equal a car alternator (generator) you would need at least about 3000 rpm, and like the crank radio, the power would fade unless it was kept at that speed.
you can build your own generators too, theres aloooota youtube videos on how to build'em, all yo need really is copper wire (that you can find in any house when shtf, electric line, cords etc.) and magnets (probably gonna be the hard part to find) but remember any DC moter is also a generater (if given enough rpm)
I would think you would want some beefy wiring to allow for more current to travel faster. Well I do know I am not going to get 3000 rpm's out of my arms and if i did it wouldn't be for very long.

ya i dont see a manual 3000rpm anything lasting too long lol.
i have seen an alternator (can be a generator too) attached to a workout bike and charge up batterys that ran a whole house (mobile home).
thinkness of the wire depends on how many times you wrap it, the more wraps the better the charge you'll get when its being introduced to the magnits.
i would suppose with thicker wire you wouldnt need as many wraps as thin, but im not sure about that.

ya i dont see a manual 3000rpm anything lasting too long lol.
i have seen an alternator (can be a generator too) attached to a workout bike and charge up batterys that ran a whole house (mobile home).
thinkness of the wire depends on how many times you wrap it, the more wraps the better the charge you'll get when its being introduced to the magnits.
i would suppose with thicker wire you wouldnt need as many wraps as thin, but im not sure about that.
I guess we would be heading the way of Gilligan's Island.... I have heard good things about using bike as generators. Though this is why I bought the solar Items that I did. I would like to upgrade them eventually to a bettor more powerful unit.

ya solars the way to go.
id love to have that solar backpack.
what would be cool is to have a battery powered house generator, operated by solar.

That sure would be nice! In trying to get decent amount of solar panels but not so many that I can't cart them. I do like the solar backpack idea. So many options so little money....

That sure would be nice! In trying to get decent amount of solar panels but not so many that I can't cart them. I do like the solar backpack idea. So many options so little money....
(hey LOL i finally found the quote button)

ya this is my problem exactly, no money to spend on solar panels.

The Goal Zero Nomad is the best on the market for the bush. A bit pricy for sure. They have a smaller one.
What happened to me was when I was starting my plan I realized I'd need a truck with all the equipment I needed. I started to think of what worked in Nam. Simple but cheap.

But as far as Solar goes, I got me a Harbor Freight 45 Watt Solar Kit for $149.00. No, you cannot carry this stuff in an Alice pack. It weighs 52 lbs. It came with 3 -15Watt Amorphous panels, charge controller plus two 10 Watt DC lights.
Someone gave me a large 12V deep cycle battery and 2 6v Golf Cart batteries I wired in series to equal 12v. I have 3 DC to AC inverters ( 100w, 400w,1500w). I use the panels to keep the battery charged whenever the sun it out. I have 3 solar trickle chargers 1 Harbor Freight 1.5W, 1 Coleman 1.5w, 1 Coleman 10w).
If you get into Solar, get yourself a TRUE RMS mulitmeter. If you don't you will get LOW readings, and end up sending this stuff back when it's not necessary. I see reviews all the time about this. I have a Extech 411. If you buy the Fluke, expect to pay $ 180 UP. Actually though you could put it in a pick up truck and take it with you if you have extra batteries. That would work too. The set works pretty good. Also realize that it will take upwards of 6 months with new Amorphous panels to break in. I happen to like them becuase they are cheap. They are only 10% effective, but they do work on cloudy days, as well as you can cover 1/2 the panel and they still work. The other type panels woun't work if one cell is covered. Bird droppings included.
How long does it take to charge a 12v battery with this set? 10 hours.
How long does a 1.5w trickle charger take to charge a 12v battery? 4 1/2 WEEKS. I did it.
But remember get a TRUE RMS MULTIMETER.
SUN IS FREE !!

A person who makes no mistakes, does no work.

The Goal Zero Nomad is the best on the market for the bush. A bit pricy for sure. They have a smaller one.
What happened to me was when I was starting my plan I realized I'd need a truck with all the equipment I needed. I started to think of what worked in Nam. Simple but cheap.

But as far as Solar goes, I got me a Harbor Freight 45 Watt Solar Kit for $149.00. No, you cannot carry this stuff in an Alice pack. It weighs 52 lbs. It came with 3 -15Watt Amorphous panels, charge controller plus two 10 Watt DC lights.
Someone gave me a large 12V deep cycle battery and 2 6v Golf Cart batteries I wired in series to equal 12v. I have 3 DC to AC inverters ( 100w, 400w,1500w). I use the panels to keep the battery charged whenever the sun it out. I have 3 solar trickle chargers 1 Harbor Freight 1.5W, 1 Coleman 1.5w, 1 Coleman 10w).
If you get into Solar, get yourself a TRUE RMS mulitmeter. If you don't you will get LOW readings, and end up sending this stuff back when it's not necessary. I see reviews all the time about this. I have a Extech 411. If you buy the Fluke, expect to pay $ 180 UP. Actually though you could put it in a pick up truck and take it with you if you have extra batteries. That would work too. The set works pretty good. Also realize that it will take upwards of 6 months with new Amorphous panels to break in. I happen to like them becuase they are cheap. They are only 10% effective, but they do work on cloudy days, as well as you can cover 1/2 the panel and they still work. The other type panels woun't work if one cell is covered. Bird droppings included.
How long does it take to charge a 12v battery with this set? 10 hours.
How long does a 1.5w trickle charger take to charge a 12v battery? 4 1/2 WEEKS. I did it.
But remember get a TRUE RMS MULTIMETER.
SUN IS FREE !!

A person who makes no mistakes, does no work.
I agree that sun is free! I am a big fan of solar! I am sure the gov't will try to tax sunshine at some point

Latest posts

Back