Solar Setup

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Close to buying some remote property, currently completely off grid. Deep well with electric pump - previous owner took a genny to the well and filled containers which he then brought back and pumped into elevated tanks. He ran a combination of genny, propane and batteries. He spent three months at a time there, so I guess that worked for him. There must be a better way though.
Thought about a windmill for the well, the kind that directly pumps water up into a tank. Other option is solar. I hear windmills need more maintenance than solar. I guess I can see that for the short term, but solar panels have an expiration date and a windmill doesn't.
I also need about 6 kW for other things. I have a 6kW (12kW peak) inverter already and have run everything at home on it before (except the 220 appliances like the central air and dryer)
Estimate to run power to the place is $25K. What is the best off grid solution I do for around that much? I need to convince my wife that we can do better than that with an off grid solution.

I wasn't interested in the ROI when I installed my solar electric system. I just needed electric. I currently have 10, 295 watt panels mounted on an 8" scd 80 pipe buried in 6 feet of concrete.
I've got 6, 415 watt panels, plus all the necessary gear, on order that I'll set up 300 feet away in a more sunny location. Last August I traded out my old 8 battery bank for 12, 1169 ah battery's.
I'm also thinking about adding in an 8kw propane generator that will provide backup to my current 12kw Perkins diesel.

Close to buying some remote property, currently completely off grid. Deep well with electric pump - previous owner took a genny to the well and filled containers which he then brought back and pumped into elevated tanks. He ran a combination of genny, propane and batteries. He spent three months at a time there, so I guess that worked for him. There must be a better way though.
Thought about a windmill for the well, the kind that directly pumps water up into a tank. Other option is solar. I hear windmills need more maintenance than solar. I guess I can see that for the short term, but solar panels have an expiration date and a windmill doesn't.
I also need about 6 kW for other things. I have a 6kW (12kW peak) inverter already and have run everything at home on it before (except the 220 appliances like the central air and dryer)
Estimate to run power to the place is $25K. What is the best off grid solution I do for around that much? I need to convince my wife that we can do better than that with an off grid solution.

You should be able to get one for your needs, way under 25k

https://shopsolarkits.com/products/complete-all-in-one-solar-kit-hbk-7

Estimate to run power to the place is $25K.
A WINDMILL and all the spare parts to last you 2 lifetimes is cheaper, more reliable and if the tank is large enough, you can live thru the slow-winded times. I am also looking at building my own little one for my measly acre of land. Self-build and bought pump parts will run me under $200 and could fill my 1000 liter tank which will be attached to a set of underground hoses to water the garden and is next to the chicken coop also.

A WINDMILL and all the spare parts to last you 2 lifetimes is cheaper, more reliable and if the tank is large enough, you can live thru the slow-winded times. I am also looking at building my own little one for my measly acre of land. Self-build and bought pump parts will run me under $200 and could fill my 1000 liter tank which will be attached to a set of underground hoses to water the garden and is next to the chicken coop also.
I've been thinking about setting up a windmill by our to provide aeration. It should help keep the water clear and the fish healthy.

Your acre is valuable!! Do not ever downplay it. Just look what you have done with that land already!

Thanks sis, I know how much my little acre is doing for me and we are only using a quarter of it for food at the moment too. The rest is grass for the chickens to run around in and then some fruit trees and the some flowers and roses for Helena. I have fertiliser and non-GMO seeds for about 4 years in storage and can get more any time here in town. We have no fertiliser, seed or water problems at all. Our chickens have laid nonstop all winter and the eggs are huge and yolks are almost orange in color. The hand mix of food is amazing and very nutritious for them.
We just discussed today of me building another coop for meat chickens and keeping the healthiest for the next generation of egg layers maybe. We would be paying about $.25 per egg on the market at the moment here which is then $3 a dozen. Not bad, but we do not and cannot control the quality or healthiness of the chickens or the eggs they produce from the market. With 3 chickens, we get more eggs than we ever need, breakfast, pancakes, egg noodles and in soups, is covered by our 3 ladies and we still give some away occasionally.

Latest posts

Back