Bug Out Bag (fully stocked 4x4)already packed!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark1107

Reaction score
I’m ready to be crucified. I’m putting on my big boy pants. Here’s the deal:

EMP not withstanding.

We have an old camping truck. A 2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road with a 3 inch lift, 35 inch tires w/full size spare and jack, shrockworks front bumper and a Warn 9500 Ti Thermometric winch, and heavy steel rock sliders step rails. https://ibb.co/9TrFJ9g
9TrFJ9g
Fully maintained for the last 15 years. I can buy a used, ecm, bcm, and ipdm/fuse boxes and put them in a faraday cage at a pretty cheap price. This truck sits in our driveway and is only used for camping.

We have a ton of camping equipment. We decided to pack up the truck as a rolling bug out vehicle if we have to abandon ship and run from our mini fortress in urban LA.

So we packed the following:

1. Blow up queen bed with car charger blower.
2. 3 person waterproof tent.
3. Two heavy blankets sheets pillows.
3. Camping stove. Propane. 3 6 inch mini jugs of stored propane. Bought 9 gallons of camping fuel with a 2nd camping stove two burner that runs on that.
4. Lots of dry storage food. Nuts, crackers, peanut butter. Koolaid premix.
5. 4 mini flashlights.
6. 5 gallons of water. Will add 10-20 more on roof rack strapped down.
7. Small pan, skillet, pot, cooking tools.
8. Matches, butane lighter.
9. Knife, shovel, axe, sledgehammer, leatherman, compass, map, xl bolt cutters (fuk the forest service!)
10. Warm and cold weather clothes jackets socks etc.
11. Toiletries soap lotion Vaseline chapstick basic meds, bp, allergies, Tylenol Advil.
12. Ordered tarp, paracord, compass, ferro rod, solar panel sine wave inverter from Amazon. (3-10 day delivery.)
13. Rope, recovery strap, chain, d shackles, max traxxs, for winch. Basic tools, adj wrench, etc. pliers, vise, flat, Phillips.
14. Salt sugar pepper spices, dry powdered eggs, trail mix, captain crunch, crackers pnutbutter.
15. Ordered antibiotics will store in inside bag in house, to be put in truck.
16. Heavy field trauma kit, gunshot chest suction sticky things and coagulants and abt 100 other stuff. Bandaids, tourniquets, Israeli compressing thingy. Gauze nausea pills etc.
17. Four rolls of toilet paper. Plastic utensils 20 packs.
18. Boots, hats backpack.
19. Kids coloring set for our 3 yr old daughter.
20. Pioneer gps system.
21. Roof lights, deep cycle agm battery with battery tender.
22. Will have a big bag of canned foods stored by the door in house of meat, spam, veggies, etc.
23. 1Gallon gas can.
25. Will take shotgun, handgun and ammo from house. Slugs for hunting and birdshot.
26. Will take cash and valuables.
27. Two adult folding chairs. 1 child chair.
28. I folding table.
29. Papers map of high Sierras abt 5 hours from us.
30. Bug spray, bathing suits sandals, pillows sheet.
31. Dish soap. Towel big sized wash cloth.
32. Two short wave frs if no emp.
33. Satellite phone fully charged. If no emp.
34. Back up hidden old cell phone.
35. Opioids for emergencies breaks, sprains, etc.
36. Antacids. Anti fungal. Epi pen.
37. Rice, flour, sugar, coffee.
38. Jerky.
39. Licorice, charm pops, sugar cereal. Can of powdered milk, pasta.
40. Pull pal winch system for rear of truck.
41. Huge recharging spot light plugged into truck now.
42. CO 2 warning alarm since the queen mattress can be blown up inside truck and all 3 sleep inside in cold weather because Xterra seats all fold down to huge comfortable sleeping area.
43. Satellite xm radio works in wilderness.
44. Full tank of gas. Car is on battery tender now with fully charged battery.
45. Tow hitch and ball.
46. 1 quart of oil. Doesn’t burn any. 1/2 gallon radiator fluid. Emergency blankets.
48. Fire extinguisher kitchen sized strapped down.
49. Extra child seat already bolted up.
50. Extra sun glasses for all 3 of us.
51. Two xl bags of wet wipes.
52. 1 gallon bucket.
53. Extra truck key hidden inside truck.
54. Will order crossbow on amazon with bolts.
55. Basic fishing rod, lures, line kits premade.
56. Tire patch kits.
57. Duct tape. Sewing thread. Qtips lotion, shampoo soap.
58. Aftermarket alarm with ignition lock.
59. Water purification tablets. 1000.
60. Water bottle filter kit.
61. Trash bags. Zip locks.
62. Large Coleman ice chest with stuff stored in it. Great food prep bench/table.

This is everything we could think of already packed so we literally could bug out in 10 minutes.
We could last a few months in the high sierras right now with what we packed (as long as we found water) winter sleeping in truck, summer fall sleeping in tent, until civil unrest died down and then head out to sparsely populated areas like Tonopah, Elko, Ely, Great Basin, Kootenai natl forest and build permanent shelter. ( 1 tank of gas can get us to lower sierras, notwithstanding we can barter buy gas to get farther.)

Everyone’s thoughts?

Thanks, Mark

We know of deserted camping with running water in the lower Sierras that we’ve seen two other campers in 10 years of camping. That would be our first choice. I’ve never hunted up there, but we might get most of our canned foods in the truck. I was just stabbing in the dark about Kootenai. I didn’t know it’s packed.

Maybe Great Basin National Park or Sequoia but on the sparsely populated area like Sherman Pass.

I do agree with you, but here’s our plan: How many other Angelinos have a truck already filled to the brim ready to drive off fully stocked and gassed up can leave in 15 minutes flat? I would say maybe 1000 other preppers in LA.

But how many sheeple are going to stay and watch devolve into chaos? Probably most. As soon as we see civil unrest, we’re out. We’re not waiting for martial law or riots in the streets. Remember New Orleans told people for 2-5 days to leave, before Katrina, and most of the smart ones and preppers did, it was the broke and desperate that stayed that caused the looting that were overwhelmed with flooding.

I’m sure the roads will fill up after a few hours but we got the jump on everyone because we’re already packed and loaded. I guarantee you with a 15-60 minute turn around time if I’m not at home, one year worth of canned meat, beef, spam, chicken, albacore, spaghetti meat, sloppy joe meat, canned hams, canned crab, canned fruit and veggies all we need is a water source to replenish the 15-20 gallons we’re taking with us.

I also have a suction hose, and just bought two carb approved 12 gallon fuel cans and aftermarket vent caps so with the Xterra having 18-20 gallons plus my 5 and two 12s we could literally get to Tonopah in the middle of nowhere and regroup without stopping at a gas station.

Elko, Ely, Tonopah are extremely deserted but have mountains and water sources.

I'd be more concerned about just getting out of LA. In a real disaster all roads leading out of LA will be blocked with millions of others trying to get out. Not to mention the military will probably block all roads too. But good luck.

Any thoughts on being locked and loaded with our truck? Our supplies?

I need a crossbow, any recommendations? For hunting. The guns are for defense only.
Hunting scoped crossbow would be my recommendation. And a .22 air rifle.

Any thoughts on being locked and loaded with our truck? Our supplies?

I need a crossbow, any recommendations? For hunting. The guns are for defense only.
For hunting, in addition to firearms and crossbow, I'd recommend taking some traps and snares. Nothing more silent for taking wildlife than a trap.

any thoughts on being locked and loaded with our truck? Our supplies?

I did not see anything about the personal needs for your wife having her monthly cycle...more knives, sharpening possibilities for them, no sledgehammer if your axe will function as well, more batteries for the flashlights or re-chargable ones and a solar charger, more butane lighters (10), aluminium foil for cooking/baking, more socks and underwear, baby powder for your feet/boots/crotch, book on cooking in the wild with recipes. Thin wire for making traps. Shaving stuff.
Don't forget to have everything in a certain place, in a certain order to be carried out and packed, decide who will carry what, practice loading alone if the wife is sick, her packing alone if you are still at work, packing together to see the time needed, plan different routes if the traffic does get ahead of you, where can you go till the traffic dissapates, where you can get gasoline on the way and keep the tank refilled at every stop. Get the wife ready to shoot and protect the truck if you are not immediately at the truck. Have a kill switch if the truck gets stolen WITH the key. Take the time to practice the drive with the load and check the mileage you get with all the weight, get the trip in your head without the maps or GPS!!! You can only do well what you practiced well. (I would get a small trailer for at least half of the stuff, if you want to sleep in the truck in winter, you will need the space to sleep and the stuff can go in the trailer which keeps it all from freezing, if you think the quarantine is bad in your house, wait till you spend 4 months in a truck!) GP

Last edited:
Yeah and for about that price you can buy a couple acres of land with a water source in an isolated area. Why not just move?

Because the wife only has support and family here in LA and they help us with child care and are her social network. Plus I own a small construction company that is swamped with work and if we can survive without shtf for a couple of years we can FInancially Retire Early and not worry about money the rest of our lives. So maybe spend double or triple that and find Land in 4-6 hours from LA that is deserted and build our cabin and prep there.

without a specific place to go to that is owned by anyone bugging out I think its all destined to fail, most people are not woodsmen or survivalists, they are just ordinary people faced with a crisis. to just expect them to survive in an environment which is alien to most city dwellers is I think just a recipe for disaster.

Hi bigpaul,

We've been camping for 20 years up and down the Sierra Nevadas and are very comfortable with the nooks and crannies of the mountains. Furthermore we love the west and the inner west versus the coastal west. So since our truck is ready to start at a moments notice and fully packed, we're ready to bug out as long as an EMp doesn't hit.

Again we have a favorite deserted spot in the high Sierras that in 10 years have only seen two other campers. Now disaster strikes and times that by 100 and our area could still handle it at least for water but not hunting. Hence the year worth of canned meats and fruits and vegetables and 10 gallons of camping fuel.

without a specific place to go to that is owned by anyone bugging out I think its all destined to fail, most people are not woodsmen or survivalists, they are just ordinary people faced with a crisis. to just expect them to survive in an environment which is alien to most city dwellers is I think just a recipe for disaster.

Latest posts

Back