Solar Setup

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the above comment that the system I am starting with is WAY undersized. This is an initial setup which I am hoping will allow me to grow once I get it working (example planning on starting with 24v and not 12v). Hopefully, it will just be a matter of adding additional batteries, panels and upgrading the inverter. I am hoping the wiring I install in the house will support the future growth.

In my case, I am a very amateur electrician and when it comes to solar setups, I would not even reach that level. That is what why I am starting small (not miniature) while planning for future growth.

That is why I am keeping a close watch on Brent's system. I hope to learn from his experience.
Thanks Brent. Please get us updated with the installation of your system and most important also include any mistakes that you makes so we can avoid them.

I agree with the above comment that the system I am starting with is WAY undersized. This is an initial setup which I am hoping will allow me to grow once I get it working (example planning on starting with 24v and not 12v). Hopefully, it will just be a matter of adding additional batteries, panels and upgrading the inverter. I am hoping the wiring I install in the house will support the future growth.

In my case, I am a very amateur electrician and when it comes to solar setups, I would not even reach that level. That is what why I am starting small (not miniature) while planning for future growth.

That is why I am keeping a close watch on Brent's system. I hope to learn from his experience.
Thanks Brent. Please get us updated with the installation of your system and most important also include any mistakes that you makes so we can avoid them.
I been reading and learning as I go here too. Luckily having an electrical background helps but I am by no means a solar expert. I can figure out most things though with a little research. One thing I read about is it’s not a good idea to add new batteries with your old ones. I was going to use 8 batteries and decided to go with the 10 when I learned this.

I guess you know this, but the more batteries you have, the more efficient each battery is because you get more amp hours out of an AGM (or any lead acid battery for that matter) at a lower current. So two batteries last more than twice as long as one battery, and so on.

I guess you know this, but the more batteries you have, the more efficient each battery is because you get more amp hours out of an AGM (or any lead acid battery for that matter) at a lower current. So two batteries last more than twice as long as one battery, and so on.

So the more money you spend on batteries, the more money you save?

So the more money you spend on batteries, the more money you save?
I think I was somewhat ambiguous with the sentence "So two batteries last more than twice as long as one battery, and so on" so let me rephrase that.

Two batteries deliver more than twice the amp hours of one battery under the same overall load because each battery is running at lower current. So the charge lasts more than twice as long with two batteries as with one.

So if each battery has a capacity of 100 amp hours, two batteries together will have a capacity higher than 200 amp hours under the same usage. Sometimes much much higher under heavy loads.

I don't know if they have over twice the life span, but the life span is greatly improved because for the same number of amp hours delivered, each battery is discharged less. So under use in which one battery may discharge 50%, two batteries will discharge less than 25% each. So I supposed it is entirely possible for the life span to more than double, but I don't know for sure.

I was messin
I think I was somewhat ambiguous with the sentence "So two batteries last more than twice as long as one battery, and so on" so let me rephrase that.

Two batteries deliver more than twice the amp hours of one battery under the same overall load because each battery is running at lower current. So the charge lasts more than twice as long with two batteries as with one.

So if each battery has a capacity of 100 amp hours, two batteries together will have a capacity higher than 200 amp hours under the same usage. Sometimes much much higher under heavy loads.

I don't know if they have over twice the life span, but the life span is greatly improved because for the same number of amp hours delivered, each battery is discharged less. So under use in which one battery may discharge 50%, two batteries will discharge less than 25% each. So I supposed it is entirely possible for the life span to more than double, but I don't know for sure.
I was messin with ya Doc, thanks

Well, I was going to upload some pictures of the solar project here. When I try to upload a file it actually gave me an option to change file size so I was hopeful it would work. (I had stopped trying to upload photos a while ago when I got the new iPad and they were all to big of files to load here). So, it lets me change the file size but then disconnects from the site.... crap.
I lined the underside of the stairwell with roofing tin. I’ve always got a few pieces around here. It’s great stuff for all kinds of uses. Then I uncrated the ten batteries and brought them all in and set in place. Since heat buildup is a major issue with battery life I installed vents with one down low and one high up that vents to the outside. This should create an airflow that will take cooler air from inside the house and vent it to the outside. Once I’m up and running I will check the temperature in this area and will install a fan with thermostat if need be but am fairly confident I won’t have to. I have two rows of five batteries each. I put down three strips of plywood under them and left an inch between each battery too for airflow and heat dissipation. I had tried to contact the supplier about the inverter being overdue but never heard back from them so I canceled the order today. I found a replacement one that actually is a little better, and right at the same price. It is a split phase as well, 120/240v, is 4K continuous and 12k peak. It has a charge controller built in but I got a dual charging system already. I may save it for the second system I’m considering doing. All I would need to do is get batteries and another inverter for that now. I say all I would need but in reality those are the most expensive parts..... I bought the crimping tool Doc recommended. Once it arrives I will decide on the crimps for the battery cables. I hope to have the rack system for the panels completed by tomorrow, and then I will prime and paint all the steel components before installing the panels. It’s moving along at least.

I got all the welding done today on the solar racking. I hope to grind, clean and prime and paint all the welds tomorrow. I am going to paint the entire frame with a gray oil base paint that I have left over from a light pole we installed. It helps having extra wire and miscellaneous supplies for this project leftover from the business.

So under use in which one battery may discharge 50%, two batteries will discharge less than 25% each. So I supposed it is entirely possible for the life span to more than double, but I don't know for sure.
You're going in the right direction Doc. What kills a battery is the recharging cycles. The less often it needs to be recharged, the more "years" of use it can deliver.
IF although the battery is NOT drawn down into the "kill" zone of deep discharge, which can kill it in only a few days of heavy use, then the battery is not being "re-charged" as such, it is only being topped off like a half filled gas tank in your car. A normal lead-acid battery for a starter motor on your car is not made for a solar system, although it would function and you would not really notice the difference...UNTIL the constant "long-time-draw" on energy kills it almost without prior warning. These types of batteries are also used (mis-used?) for trolling motors while Bass fishing for example. A lead-acid battery (starter battery) is designed only for giving a big kick to start a motor and then be trickle-charged again in at least 45 minutes of driving. (another reason for them to die so often when only driven on short trips by old ladies)
The solar battery is not designed for starting a motor, even though it would definitely do so. They are specially designed to give up an certain amount of energy for long periods of time and to be able to drop down to a much lower lever of discharge without "dying" in the process. I think the solar battery can take a discharge down to 40% of its normal "fully charged" level. A starter battery is already dangerously discharged down to only 65% from 100% full charge. This "deep" discharge condition is what kills many batteries. Then comes the number of the amount of re-charging cycles into play...GP

I had a lot of fun today. 12, 365watt panels and another row of 6 on the other side. Then some tree branch trimming.

Attachments

• 20221005_143836.jpg
    20221005_143836.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
I worried about putting solar panels on our roofs so made the decision to make ours free standing. I worried about the roof leaking eventually?
Along with hurricane winds, which makes us reroof our shingles more than the majority.

I worried about putting solar panels on our roofs so made the decision to make ours free standing. I worried about the roof leaking eventually?

These shouldn't leak. I used S-bar brackets with a sealant strip, screwed in with rubber washer roof screws. Then all the brackets are sprayed with a clear rubber sealant.

I've talked to dozens of people that did this, none have had leaks.

These shouldn't leak. I used S-bar brackets with a sealant strip, screwed in with rubber washer roof screws. Then all the brackets are sprayed with a clear rubber sealant.

I've talked to dozens of people that did this, none have had leaks.
Do you worry about reroofing? And how often is this a concern??

Having installed a system on my last house, having bought this house with twice as big a system that was 10 yrs old.I wouldn’t do it again.

I may do smaller systems with battery back up for barns or shed lighting But not anything where I am dealing and getting raped by the power company. They buy for 1 cent and charge me 5 when I need it.

Latest posts

Back