Solar Power

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
weilding pre-shtf i can make vertually anything i want, giving theres enough scrap metal to go around, post-shtf, not much untill true homesteading begins and people quit looting and killing everything in sight. an ARC weilder uses 220 electricity, its kinda like hooking up battery cables except in the positive side you have your rod, then use the electricity to melt the rod. but post-shtf 220 will be hard to come by untill we make alternative electricity. However there is the MIG weilder that runs off of the standered 110 electricity (the regular plugs in a house) and runs wire feed instead of the rod, which i would recomend to beginners (you can buy them at harbor freight for around $100) the MIG is used for smaller weilds, like sheet metal or thin metals that an ARC would burn right through.
Thanks for the info! I will be taking a trip to Harbor Freight this week I am sure!

the MIG is a wire feed, a good tip to using it is to hold the gun closer, and not let so much wire run out, or you'll burn up alot of wire, its hard to explain without showing, but if you buy it you'll see what i mean.

the MIG is a wire feed, a good tip to using it is to hold the gun closer, and not let so much wire run out, or you'll burn up alot of wire, its hard to explain without showing, but if you buy it you'll see what i mean.
I worked with a bunch of pipe fitters so i am familiar with all of the tools. If i recal with the mig, like you said, if you're too far away you will waste wire, too close nd you will screw up tips.

i never knew the "to close" part but good to know! but I stay just far enough where i can see the wire come out and hit where im weilding

OMG! i just found this online! i wasnt sure where to put it, under here or bug bags but check this out:
http://store.sundancesolar.com/vosobabada.html

these guys also have really cheap solar panels, i think they had a 60 watt for $200.
What a find! My common sense tells me why would I want such an item when the grid goes out to use on my ipod, cell phone or video game? To me when the grid goes these items are obsolete. If the cell towers are ok, there might be enough interference that these devices won't be working. They might be good for a fun time at the lake or up in the mountains while we still have the grid, but I would be interested to know if I am thinking straight or not???

I worked with a bunch of pipe fitters so i am familiar with all of the tools. If i recal with the mig, like you said, if you're too far away you will waste wire, too close nd you will screw up tips.
What a great skill to know or learn to know. It is nice you have some knowledge of these. My daddy was a welder, but being interested in boys and not welding, I never saw him work in the basement on projects. You know now I wished I had paid a little attention to know something.

That is so nice of you to share your wisdom! I might even be learning some tiny specs that will someday help me after the crisis. I think we will need all the skills we can even do a little with after all the SHTF. I will be willing to learn even the small tidbits I read here. Thank you.

Tip on solar power... look up solarobotics.com... then contact me... I can assemble custom electronic packages far cheaper and more rugged and reliable
Thank you. I looked at this site and it said it is no longer available. It recommended to see another site which did not have any info on solar power gadgets on it. Can you send me more info so I can find this info, please?

Thank you for clarifying that. I looked there and it looks like a lot of techy stuff. I saw a lot of what looks like printed circuit boards and material like that. I don't know what I should be looking for. Can you possibly be more specific please?

Was just letting you see one of my part suppliers yes it's "techy" but one of my talents is my degree in electronics... I design custom projects for fun and survival

I use a custom flexible solar cell array that recharges my smartphone in the field... even though I know cell phones will be useless mine has my ballistics calculator and a few other apps that as long as I don't encounter an EM blast I'll still be able to use my phone and also I have other custom equipment that keeps various batteries recharged for constant use

I use a custom flexible solar cell array that recharges my smartphone in the field... even though I know cell phones will be useless mine has my ballistics calculator and a few other apps that as long as I don't encounter an EM blast I'll still be able to use my phone and also I have other custom equipment that keeps various batteries recharged for constant use
It won't be just you without cell phones when the SHTF. Most people don't have any idea all the things that will be absolutely shut down when the grid fades and finally goes. We have such a sensitive system now, some areas have brown outs with power shortages or so the electric suppliers are convincing us that is happening. I would like a small solar device to heat some water for cooking or bathing. Can you help me kn0w what to look for and what to purchase.? I also would like a battery charger that is solar powered. Thank you.

OMG! i just found this online! i wasnt sure where to put it, under here or bug bags but check this out:
http://store.sundancesolar.com/vosobabada.html

these guys also have really cheap solar panels, i think they had a 60 watt for $200.
Thanks for this! This is great. I will be checking in to this a lot more!

sundancesolar_2204_1744

Latest posts

Back