Out of Gas

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPrepper

Demi-God
Reaction score
Everyone here is searching for gas. Long lines at the pump, and fist fights. It looks like a scene from the 70's. Three of our refineries have been shut down for days.

When they decide to turn them back on, it will still take 3-4 days for gas production and delivery time.

Some people say there is no gas shortage, they just can't get to the reserve supply... well then, isn't that a shortage? Some people say that everyone trying to get gas is causing a shortage.

If you are not making gas, can't get to gas, or you have sold out of gas... I would say that is a gas shortage..period.

I expect food prices to go up anytime now. We are stocking up on dry goods tonight in preparation for price increase.

I filled up yesterday and topped off. My husband has 3/4 of a tank. I will give it another day and try to go early in the morning or late at night.

US refinery production is off by 24% due to Harvey. The government has released 500,000 bbls of crude from the strategic reserve to help with production "shortages". This is more for show than any real effort to help. The remaining oil refinery's around the country could easily ramp up production to cover the loss of Houston's refinery capicity. The price of crude right now is "low" at $47/bbl but fuel futures are up by 12% to $2.11 per gallon. This all translates to higher prices at the pump for the consumer and more profits for the future traders and the fuel suppliers.

US refinery production is off by 24% due to Harvey. The government has released 500,000 bbls of crude from the strategic reserve to help with production "shortages". This is more for show than any real effort to help. The remaining oil refinery's around the country could easily ramp up production to cover the loss of Houston's refinery capicity. The price of crude right now is "low" at $47/bbl but fuel futures are up by 12% to $2.11 per gallon. This all translates to higher prices at the pump for the consumer and more profits for the future traders and the fuel suppliers.
I agree with you. You can't just shut off 25% of your refinery for days and expect everything is going to be okay. Yes, they could bring shipments in from other parts of the country, but it benefits their pockets not too.

I saw a 23cent jump in price overnight here, and am sure that's not the last one I will see. At least no one has been out or had long lines here. I am greatful to have it available no matter the cost as I can only imagine how difficult most in Houston have it.

My husband works at a company with different site locations. New York has already been told to expect gas price increase. One guy for MO said he saw an overnight increase of .20 cents.
It goes up about .10 cents per day here in North Texas. What south Texas is experiencing is far worse. I have family down there, but I will prepare as best as possible for me and mine here in North Texas.

ha,,,do you really believe there is a gas shortage,not hardly ,,,first it is Labor Day weekend,gas is going to go up no matter what,,,SECOND BIG OIL HAS AN EXCUSE RIGHT NOW AND THEY ARE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE SITUATION AND ALL OF US,,,,,THEY ARE SCUM

Is there a gas shortage for most people no, there are other refineries in production to help make up the difference. For us who have been in the effected areas. Yes there is. Pumps are running out quick when they have it. People are having to go to 5 or 6 stations to find available, then wait sometimes hours. Residents so they can get to work, evacuees trying to get out of effected areas and then there are still areas that can't get the gas trucks in. Others, well they're panicking.

upload_2017-9-1_18-4-42.png

Is there a gas shortage for most people no, there are other refineries in production to help make up the difference. For us who have been in the effected areas. Yes there is. Pumps are running out quick when they have it. People are having to go to 5 or 6 stations to find available, then wait sometimes hours. Residents so they can get to work, evacuees trying to get out of effected areas and then there are still areas that can't get the gas trucks in. Others, well they're panicking.
a gas shortage after a hurricane has hit is expected,in the area that was hit,,,,,,,,I am over 400 miles from the Huston area prices have jumped $.40 a gallon in 7 days and will rise even more,,,,,,,Big Oil should do all they can to help people in a time like this instead they line their pockets,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SIMPLY PUT ,,,, GREED PREVAILS

That's a neat little app I am assuming?
The app will tell you how much the gas is. That is usually my concern. Right now though, it is just where can I find gas. If you google tracker.gasbuddy.com It will take you to the main page and you can select search stations (located at the top) from there.
Happy Hunting :)

I googled and found site. I put in a few zips I know locally and got the "unknown".
If you are close to the effected area, it maybe that people are unaware of how to use it.. I used all the zip codes for my family in Brazoria county (flooded area) and I get the same thing. Spread the word if you can. You can also click on the word unknown and change the status yourself for that particular gas station. The problem is that you want other people to be involved so you don't have to do the hunting yourself. Maybe if you can spread the word to people in your area? If you have Facebook or if you know of someone that does, that is a great way to put the word out. The more people that participate the better off you are. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

I will give it another day and try to go early in the morning or late at night.

If/when you go out late at nite, make sure your head is on a swivel. Be completely aware of who and what is going on around you. There is likely to be a slight increase in the danger level for the next couple of weeks. Be on alert.

The government has released 500,000 bbls of crude from the strategic reserve to help with production "shortages". This is more for show than any real effort to help.

Yeah, that doesn't do make any sense and doesn't do anything to help. Shortage of available crude isn't the problem, shortage of refinery output is. There is plenty of crude out there, still pumping into the tank farms.

Latest posts

Back