If you could build however you wanted...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and of course..that includes property line thick with trees and under brush..and preferably the diff kinds with thorns...and makeing sure thier the speicies of the area..

Ive been debating on a sail boat like a multi hull i also stay on the coast an work in a shipyard

Boats have their appeal, but their challenges as well.

PLUS side:
Easy to escape something happening on land.
Can get to remote locations.
Ocean is big, so chance encounters less.
If a sail, power is mother nature.

CHALLENGES though:
Have to carry all of your supplies with you (including drinking water)
If you DO encounter someone, you're a sitting duck if they are bigger/faster, etc.
Everything you have could be wiped out in one shot (storm, attack, etc.) easily

Im in the ship building industry an in a year or so im going to start a aluminum hull catarama if you have some basic welding skills an bit of time i think you can build 1 alot cheaper set down a draw one out an check prices on materials if you get a hull made the rest is cake cause theirs a soul of stuff dirt cheap to add on also a small diesel engine would be nice you can turn it to run on bio diesel find a out drive an make it happen you can out run a bad storm an some solar pannels will juice your boat up if shtf wind power will be a plus i have private property in the country but the hunting clubs by us over kills everything

The square areas on the corners of the outer walls are guard towers

There's a reason castles of old had round towers. Square towers give places for the enemy to hide too easily. ;)

What would I build for a doomsday scenario and if money was no object?
I would continue building more of what we already have, a house built in solid rock measuring 5000 sq ft of living quarters. My family has lived in it for 30 years.
It goes all the way through a portion of a small mountain. Fully functioning kitchen, 3 bathrooms, 3 bedroom, 2 work areas and an underground garage. It stays a nice 70 degrees year round, no cooling or heating. Everything is maintained by 2 wells, and solar panels.
A workshop and greenhouse is located on 150 acres of private gated land. One way in and out.
Security is small mountain peaks for look-out communication, radio or visual in case of emp. It's 5 miles off any paved road.
As for surviving after the *** fan event the greenhouse will produce our food and seed for barter.
We have a gold mine that produces a small amount of gold that can be used in case of emergencies when cash is no longer available or worthless. We research many other survival skills.
We are looking for like minded people to add about 50 more houses in a joint venture or any other legal agreement. " There is relative safety in numbers" Pictures of the inside of the cave house or ? upon request.

this might be a crude drawing..but this is a way to hook up a well to current water line thats already going into a home....the draw back on a setup like that.is a person has to go outside to close one vale and close another

IMG_0001.jpg

A simple farmhouse near the pacific ocean with an under ground shelter that has a cove with a water tube out to the ocean. Sitting in the tube would be my armored yacht that can. Become a submercible sub. 3d liquid metal and plastic printers for spare parts. Solar panels a retractable sail. Desalinization kits. Growlight hydropontic kits along the inside walls. And whatever fantastical crap I can throw in there.

nice idea for safe keeping weapons....i seen a pic of one set of stairs.and they had draws in 3 or 4 of them..

Love that staircase idea. I have no stairs though... :(

Update, there are some companies that make hand pumps that are designed to work alongside your electric pump, so this has just jumped to the top of the to do list.

Trees, trees, and more trees! (and a long, long, winding, winding road through those trees).
That's what we have at our location and in general I like it mostly because we can't be seen from anywhere.

But it does offer concealment to intruders so I guess it's a two-edged sword. OTOH it offers concealment to me as well and the idea of being out in an open area like a shag on a rock doesn't appeal to me.

So I can't decide if a heavily-wooded area is good or bad. Maybe someone with tactical experience can say, but traditionally forts and castles have had as much cleared space around them as possible.

Also, Gazrok, I worry about even talking on these forums from an OPSEC point of view, I also post all sorts of photos of our place, and I've been blogging for over 10 years so I guess you wouldn't have to be Dick Tracy to find me. That said I doubt any locals know anything about me (except my immediate neighbours and I'm hoping they will be allies, it seems that way so far) and I can't see any good 'ol boys from Kansas dropping in on me so I don't worry about it too much. One could argue that people here are all on the same page and will be more likely to help a fellow member because they "know" them, but for all we know there are lurkers here whose sole purpose is to gather intel and join the dots to find some nice stashes post (or even pre) STHF.

I still kind of like living in a traditional looking house. Having twelve inch concrete walls will stop a 50 cal maching gun, and they make bullet proof windows that look and work like normal windows. Metal roof would help prevent a moltove cocktail from burning the place out too. The problem is if you look like you're living comfortably and safe, no matter how secure your place is it becomes a magnet for marauders. People can eventually find a way to take it, or destroy it. I think the camouflage idea is best. If no one knows there is something there they move on looking for the next target. The junk mobile home at the entrance is pretty smart.
I think my ultimate place would be one of the earthship homes that's built into a hill, and completely self sufficient with solar, hydro, ponds/streams, farm, gardens etc. I like the idea of being really far out so no one will even know to come looking for your place. Having a group of about 30 people living and working together on a homestead would be my ultimate prepping dream!

Latest posts

Back