If you could build however you wanted...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica Ann

Reaction score
I am curious to see what everyone thinks would be an ideal setting to live at for doomsday.So if you could build a house/shelter anything you wanted what would it be?What size property?Security features?etc...

I would definitely live in the country,have a couple hundred acres w/ponds,a creek and well.Pasture land and wooded with the house in the center.Greenhouse and a shelter/bunker.I wouldn't want to live underground but a hidden retreat for storms or whatever else would be great.Plus it gets kinda hot in Texas so having a space big enough for family and food.Fireplaces in the house.Maybe hidden passages.

Not real sure about security though?i guess minimal windows,maybe some tree stands for lookout places.I guess you could have some sort of trip wire warning systems but that could cause some problems with wildlife living in the country.

What did I leave out or would you do differently?My husband says an alligator moat,Not happening!

I'd suggest making your home not viewable from the road. That's a big plus. Or place an old run down trailer as a decoy very big plus. Makes if look like an abandon homestead.

A fence?I suppose a tree line would be the best disguise providing you have the time for them to grow.

Evergreen trees is the best plus they grow very fast. My boss planted 20 of them 4 years ago and they are massive. Not quite sure the name, but I'd google fast growing evergreen trees.

I'm thinking maybe horse apple trees would be a good idea.They grow fast & have thorns plus attract squirrels and are a natural bug repellant.And you could get as many seeds as you wanted for free.

make the place look as junky as it can so no one want to come up to it !

Always thought if money wasn't an object I'd build a plexiglass house underwater. Of course someone might try and fish with dynamite and rain on my parade. But still would be 007 kinda cool

My latest endeavor is beekeeping. A few well placed hives are good for honey and wax for candles but as a defense. Who wants to mess with a lot of angry bees.

I am curious to see what everyone thinks would be an ideal setting to live at for doomsday.So if you could build a house/shelter anything you wanted what would it be?What size property?Security features?etc...

I would definitely live in the country,have a couple hundred acres w/ponds,a creek and well.Pasture land and wooded with the house in the center.Greenhouse and a shelter/bunker.I wouldn't want to live underground but a hidden retreat for storms or whatever else would be great.Plus it gets kinda hot in Texas so having a space big enough for family and food.Fireplaces in the house.Maybe hidden passages.

Not real sure about security though?i guess minimal windows,maybe some tree stands for lookout places.I guess you could have some sort of trip wire warning systems but that could cause some problems with wildlife living in the country.

What did I leave out or would you do differently?My husband says an alligator moat,Not happening!
On the moat subject. Was watching river monsters yesterday. There are these little flesh eating catfish in the amazon that will actually eat anything that gets in the water. These things are horrible. They kill hundreds of people and animals a year down there. But at least they stay in the water unlike alligators.

If I could build anything and money wasn't an option? haha.... I would build this.
Fortress_zps13715b8d.png

I'd ring the outer walls with anti-MRAP ditches, and have an indirect fire pit in the compound, plus some LP/OPs outside. Then again I am a military dork. Also maybe an escape tunnel.

Okay I love the input, only I don't know what they mean! :(
haha
Anti-MRAP?
Indirect Fire Pit?
LP/OPs?

I do know what you mean by escape tunnel which I will add!

MRAP, Mine-resistant, ambush protected vehicles, basically the 2,700 armored personnel carriers DHS has purchased. We used them in Iraq to ignore IEDs. Indirect fire pit is like a mortar pit, mini-artillery. LP/OP, listening post, observation post. Little hidden bunkers two people can sit in and watch for intruders and report back to the house, think Vietnam and the Viet Cong ambushes. You don't have to ambush people or shoot anyone, just nice to know if you have guests coming so you can bake a cake.

Most of the things I mentioned are a non-serious because if they have MRAPs coming at you it is won't be long before the breach. However in a end of the world scenario and you get ambushed by marauders, the indirect fire pit will mess them up seriously! Especially if you pre-spotted areas they will most likely use for cover.

Oh I see, I like it! Seeing as I know where I would build this, they would have a hard time getting those MRAPs to three of the walls. 6 to 10 feet rock cliffs on three sides. The front would be the only place they could get to easily. The LP/OPs would be great! The square areas on the corners of the outer walls are guard towers, and the little round ones inside the compound are the same. I like the idea of putting LP/OPs outside the walls around the compound. I would also plant evergreen trees about 20 feet out from the outer wall.

What would the Indirect Fire Pit be used for actually? I am still a little confused on that one!

It is a little unrealistic considering I don't know how you can safely manufacture a mortar round. I heard some Drug cartels use propane tanks or something as indirect fire bombs launched from tubes. Needless to say, regular marauders should run at the effect of having bombs dropped on them from above.

That is awesome! Now to figure out how to build one. Seeing as this will never happen (the compound that is) I could still use one at my BOL haha

i have the blue prints of the home my folks had built when we were kids.i'd take them to a person that know what thier doing.and have um double it in leanth.of course the amount of bed rooms woulld go from 4 to 8 right off.the width of the kitchen would double as well.basement for extra food weapons tools rods n reels fishing tackle. solar lanterns and what ever else id come up with.extra solar panals just in case we were hit with emp.

Latest posts

Back