Newbie getting started

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I have been wanting to prepare for awhile now and just havent done much except a few survival items but now it is time to get serious since I just got married and need to look after my wife. My biggest fear is the grid going down since I live in an apartment and in the suburbs of a major city. Here is what I have :
Security: I have plenty in the gun and ammo dept. I think I am in good shape for security except I am about to buy my wife a 22 caliber handgun to begin her firearm training. I will have her gun by July. I believe that training her is my next step for security.
Food: Im working on it now. I have 10 1/2 gallon jars of rice 6 1/2 gallon jars of beans. 18 mountain house meals plus some canned goods and our normal food. My goal by the end of this month is to put another 40 lbs of rice in jars again and a 40 lb bag of beans plus buy a few of the larger cans from mountain house of chix, ground beef and sliced beef. After I get those secured then I need to work on the next step. ???? Need help on that.
Water: I keep no less than 50 to 55 gallons of water in plastic bottles of various sizes and I have a zero water filter. Im thinking I need a berkey water filter next. My bug out bag has plenty of iodine and water treatment tablets plus a katadyn water filter.
Power: Lacking for now!!! However I plan on buying a solar generator in the next 4 to 5 weeks. Bluetti AC200P and a faraday bag for it. Ive got lots of batteries in 2a 3a D from costco. I have a few lanterns and flashlights but could use a little more. I keep 12 long term candles for power outages. Need more of course. I have one solar powered bank charger for phone.
Shelter: Not good since we live on the first floor of an apartment. I am an avid camper and outdoorsman so living in a tent is no problem for us. However my best friend has a property west of austin that we have as a last resort bug out location. I do need to keep gas stored in case we need to make it out there without gas available.

Oh yeah when I first started out thinking I wanted to be a prepper I did what everybody else does which is build a bug out bag first. I actually almost used it once when hurricane harvey hit us. That made me realize what I really need in that bag which is clothes, hygiene, food, knife, and water purification.

This is my start so any advice and constructive criticism is welcome.

Add seasoning, salt pepper, garlic, bullion cubes etc.., siege, honey, soy sauce, vinager, coconut oil, flour, pasta etc.. Your location keeps you from storing what you should.

Defitnetly get a Berkey. Gallon size containers are great. Your location limits your storage.

That's a great start. Don't forget power for cooking and warmth. If you have a balcony or small yard, a cooking fire pit or propane grill is great to have.

I would store enough gas with stabilizer or use and replace every 4/5 months, to reach your friends property. I would see about storing some supplies at your friends property.

Welcome from a top secret location that only 175 people know about.

Move to better rural location as soon as possible.

Security: I have plenty in the gun and ammo dept. I think I am in good shape for security except I am about to buy my wife a 22 caliber handgun to begin her firearm training. I will have her gun by July. I believe that training her is my next step for security.

Good job on security.

Food: Im working on it now. I have 10 1/2 gallon jars of rice 6 1/2 gallon jars of beans. 18 mountain house meals plus some canned goods and our normal food. My goal by the end of this month is to put another 40 lbs of rice in jars again and a 40 lb bag of beans plus buy a few of the larger cans from mountain house of chix, ground beef and sliced beef. After I get those secured then I need to work on the next step. ???? Need help on that.

Add seasoning, salt pepper, garlic, bullion cubes etc.., siege, honey, soy sauce, vinager, coconut oil, flour, pasta etc.. Your location keeps you from storing what you should.

Defitnetly get a Berkey. Gallon size containers are great. Your location limits your storage.

That's a great start. Don't forget power for cooking and warmth. If you have a balcony or small yard, a cooking fire pit or propane grill is great to have.

Shelter: Not good since we live on the first floor of an apartment. I am an avid camper and outdoorsman so living in a tent is no problem for us. However my best friend has a property west of austin that we have as a last resort bug out location. I do need to keep gas stored in case we need to make it out there without gas available.

I would store enough gas with stabilizer or use and replace every 4/5 months, to reach your friends property. I would see about storing some supplies at your friends property.
Welcome from a top secret location that only 175 people know about.

Good luck, your off to a good start.

The best way to prep (in my opinion) is to stockpile knowledge and education over hoarded stuff.

Take courses in small engine repair, first aid, rappelling (especially in the urban environment that you live in), veterinary stuff, and so forth.

You can--in some community colleges--actually become an LPN (licensed practical nurse) for the same amount of money that one would spend on some types of assault rifles.

All of the advice and book learning that one has access to on the Internet is great, but I believe that every person's situation is unique and different . . . so what works for me may be very bad and wasteful for you, and vice-versa.

Keep in mind that we almost always think that we need more than we really do. Prepping is not about maintaining our wasteful Western lifestyle of instant gratification but, rather, keeping alive and healthy under adverse conditions.

We must become accustomed to the idea that austerity and delayed gratification will become the norm, and that we will have to depend upon ourselves for things that are normally taken care of by the State.

I was a relief worker after Hurricane Andrew, and it was frightening to see how quickly people devolved. People were looting for luxury items (like stereos and televisions) that were not neccesary for life.

So, if you want to prep, start by joining a gym, getting educated, and deciding how you will live with no Internet, cable television, and so forth.

Survival will be hard work, and part of prepping should be getting in shape, losing excess weight, getting dental work taken care of, and having all vaccines up to date.

Decide how you will function without your vices. Giving up alcohol and tobacco will allow you extra funds to buy canned foods and other supplies . . . and will beone less thing to worry about after the s----t hits the fan.

Welcome.. lots to think about, and there’s a lot to do. You’ve made a good start, but you’re far from prepared.

i think you’re limited by a number of things.. location, storage, etc. apartment and urban survival are tough. Hard to store enough food and supplies in an apartment, unless you’re willing to take over a good part of a bedroom. I think your 1/2 gal jars need to be replaced with 5g buckets with Mylar sealed food (rice, beans, salt, oats, grains, etc). I also think you need water sourcing... filters are required. You can make your own Berkey style filter easily with 5gal buckets (check out youtube).

you live in an apartment, in an urban environment.. you don’t have a very secure location if the SHTF. You need people to stand watches, and a defensible location. not sure of the viability of your buddies place, but I’d consider making that a priority, maybe storing food there (If he had the extra room?). Safety in numbers is a key consideration... surviving on your own, camping, is not a long term solution (At least not while toting around a ton of 1/2g jars of food.

i echo what others have said, about studying, learning, developing skills needed to be self reliant. Skills are a much better way to make sure people want you around post SHTF...

again, welcome!

Last edited:
The best way to prep (in my opinion) is to stockpile knowledge and education over hoarded stuff.

Take courses in small engine repair, first aid, rappelling (especially in the urban environment that you live in), veterinary stuff, and so forth.

You can--in some community colleges--actually become an LPN (licensed practical nurse) for the same amount of money that one would spend on some types of assault rifles.

All of the advice and book learning that one has access to on the Internet is great, but I believe that every person's situation is unique and different . . . so what works for me may be very bad and wasteful for you, and vice-versa.

Keep in mind that we almost always think that we need more than we really do. Prepping is not about maintaining our wasteful Western lifestyle of instant gratification but, rather, keeping alive and healthy under adverse conditions.

We must become accustomed to the idea that austerity and delayed gratification will become the norm, and that we will have to depend upon ourselves for things that are normally taken care of by the State.

I was a relief worker after Hurricane Andrew, and it was frightening to see how quickly people devolved. People were looting for luxury items (like stereos and televisions) that were not neccesary for life.

So, if you want to prep, start by joining a gym, getting educated, and deciding how you will live with no Internet, cable television, and so forth.

Survival will be hard work, and part of prepping should be getting in shape, losing excess weight, getting dental work taken care of, and having all vaccines up to date.

Decide how you will function without your vices. Giving up alcohol and tobacco will allow you extra funds to buy canned foods and other supplies . . . and will beone less thing to worry about after the s----t hits the fan.

Yeah if you have the time for it. This is great advice for long term prepping, if you have a few years before a major SHTF event. Do what your doing asap.
NOT ALL vaccines should be up to date.

Yeah if you have the time for it. This is great advice for long term prepping, if you have a few years before a major SHTF event. Do what your doing asap.
NOT ALL vaccines should be up to date.
Which vaccines are you concerned about?

After SHTF, people will be under considerable stress (which weakens the immune system), hygiene and water supplies will be questionable at best, and access to decent food may be sporadic and unreliable. There will also be very limited access to medical care.

Under these conditions, disease will flourish. Any possible vaccine should be up to date . . . especially because a disease that's inconveinient before a disaster can easily become life-threatening under the conditions I described.

What's with the resistance to vaccines?

Welcome Bigfoot. Suggestion: bump your wife's gun up to at least 32 caliber and much better yet to 38. A 22 just does not have the stopping power necessary. At least that is what my local gun store advises.

I agree that the mouse guns (22 25 and 32) are not the best calibers for self defense. But a 22LR is perfect for beginners and she enjoys shooting that round. Hopefully one day I can move her up to a 38. I have had my eye on a walther PPK for some time now in 38 so that may be in the future for sure. But teaching her on a 22LR will make things much easier for her to learn. I know i wouldnt want to get shot with a 22lr. MY 1st goal is to teach her everything about a DA/SA pistol and how to use it properly and to be able to load it and also clear any malfunctions while firing. After that we move on to the next step. Whatever that is. Baby steps for now. Lots to catch up on.

This is probably the best advice I will receive. Luckily my vices are very few so alcohol and tobacco were given up back in my 30's when a hangover only lasted to the next morning. Preparing mentally is hard work but in my opinion I think you have given the "best advice" there is.

Welcome Bigfoot.

You seem to have a good idea of what you want and where you may have holes in your preps, some of which are out of you control (i.e. apartment location).

In the Marines we looked at it like this:
-Food: Not only what you have on hand (rice, beans, freeze dried etc), but what can be harvested in the immediate area, be it hunting/gathering or growing your own (rabbits, gardens). Due to your location, might be a bit limited on the small livestock and gardens.
-Water: You seem to have that one covered, but Murphy is always lurking.
-Shelter: This one is not only your living space, but clothing. How did you fare in the TX Arctic Blast? Any lessons learned there? In Shelter I also include how to heat or cook food.
-Security: Not just the things that, "SQUEEZE TRIGGER! GO BANG!" but how to harden your position/apartment. I also include any medications and your physical fitness as security. Mental security too. I read more than a few reports of people who were without power for a week during the TX Arctic Blast, no internet, phones/tables dead, some had to creative of how to keep themselves entertained and not getting into a funk. Now imagine that in a grid down situation for a year or longer.

I agree with Kevin L in regards to knowledge. Never too late to learn. Get the practical application too.

Hope this helps.

Welcome from Louisiana. I'm in pretty much the same situation you are in. Living in an apartment sucks for storage but I find room for my preps. If the wife can hit with a 22 that's better than a miss with a 44. Gradually move her up to what she can handle effectively. 38 special is a good choice. Cover the basics, beans bullets and bandages and learn how to use what you have. Plenty of good people and knowledge here.

This is probably the best advice I will receive. Luckily my vices are very few so alcohol and tobacco were given up back in my 30's when a hangover only lasted to the next morning. Preparing mentally is hard work but in my opinion I think you have given the "best advice" there is.
Do your best. Never give up. Thems that don't die have children don't also.

Welcome Bigfoot.

You seem to have a good idea of what you want and where you may have holes in your preps, some of which are out of you control (i.e. apartment location).

In the Marines we looked at it like this:
-Food: Not only what you have on hand (rice, beans, freeze dried etc), but what can be harvested in the immediate area, be it hunting/gathering or growing your own (rabbits, gardens). Due to your location, might be a bit limited on the small livestock and gardens.
-Water: You seem to have that one covered, but Murphy is always lurking.
-Shelter: This one is not only your living space, but clothing. How did you fare in the TX Arctic Blast? Any lessons learned there? In Shelter I also include how to heat or cook food.
-Security: Not just the things that, "SQUEEZE TRIGGER! GO BANG!" but how to harden your position/apartment. I also include any medications and your physical fitness as security. Mental security too. I read more than a few reports of people who were without power for a week during the TX Arctic Blast, no internet, phones/tables dead, some had to creative of how to keep themselves entertained and not getting into a funk. Now imagine that in a grid down situation for a year or longer.

I agree with Kevin L in regards to knowledge. Never too late to learn. Get the practical application too.

Hope this helps.
What an incredible well prepared person giving good advice to a fellow survivor!

welcome from Fin,
with that first aid bag, hope you know how to use the stuff too?

have you scouted out what you have in your surroundings?
any places for supplies? just in case a good paper map where you mark out specific places..

Luckily I live on a golf course and keep a bucket of balls so I may be able to play a little and if things do go bad quickly I will be out night hunting my area with a crossbow (which I still need to buy). I live just south of houston in Dickinson so lots of woods around and plenty of game believe it or not. I have been watching a hog every night about 150 yards off the main road. I figure if things do go bad the animals will be taken out but I will get a few before they are gone for sure.

I have taken a first aid class but it isnt enough. I do keep a sas medical book in my first aid bag for reference.

Thank you MOSO for mentioning security. I have put a lot of thought in to defending my apt and thankfully it will be easy to do. The door is always the easiest entrance in an appt but I have a wall just 3.5 ft from the door that I can brace things against to make that door rock solid. I will definitely scrounge some wood for my 2 windows. If things go really bad we will sleep in a corner where gunshots through the window will not reach us and keep our stuff packed up and ready to go at a moments notice in case of fire.

Im an avid pig hunter, camper and ex fishing guide so my outdoor skills are honed. My favorite type of camping is in cold weather so the storm was no problem for us. I have propane stoves and 2 mr buddy heaters and plenty of propane it was just like our last camping trip to inks lake when it got down in the lower 20's in january. I live in houston but I hate the heat. Bring on the cold. I will be busting ### this summer and trying to get things up to my first level of preparedness by September. After that regroup take a look at my preps and try to get an honest assessment of what I need to do next.

Welcome to the forum. You are not too far away from me with just a few hours. I would suggest start growing a "garden" even if it is in raised beds of your porch area. Herbs to add into your beans and rice would do a lot for moral. I have a "kitchen garden" off my back porch in raised beds that has the majority of my herbs along with a few tomatoes and peppers. Just a suggestion since you live in an apartment. I would just try to utilize everything I could at this time. I would also look into bulk buying of seeds. Check out your local feed stores to see if they sell in bulk. It is much cheaper buying that way. Store them in the freezer. If you have to go out to your buddies house, that is just a benefit and you can "repay him" for the safe harbor.

Latest posts

Back