If you could build however you wanted...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
before shtf id be at my grandpas cabin in the middle of nowhere id wait a week or two (depending on the event) id go to the now abandoned lowes, home depot, menards. id than procced to build in the lumber yard they have. seeing how its already has prison type walls with barb wire on top. plus whats nice is there would be enough wood, blocks, mortar and insulation to build me my own city. where from there id slowly gather people to help re start civilization.
or i would just stay out in the woods do my usual raids on the abandoned stores and houses and leave hints to cabins that i would build and stock pile and i would swing by those cabins to check up on them and make a bond/ friend ship so we could make a civilization in the boonies

If I could build anything and money wasn't an option? haha.... I would build this.
Fortress_zps13715b8d.png
gave me a great idea for making blue prints for land managment lol

I'm pretty cool with where we're at. We do have a few neighbors, but we're off the beaten path enough to where it should be a while before any raiders show up if the SHTF.
There are some added defenses I'd make after such an event (and I'm stocking up the materials to have them onhand to do so). Right now though, we're a business, so don't want to LOOK like an armed compound.
Our treeline gives some good defense, along with a LOT of fencing, and layers of it.

For water, we have a well, and are building up some water storage tanks as well. For food, we've got bunnies to breed, and will be adding a garden next month. We'll also be stockpiling foodstuffs, and eventually home-canning our harvests from the garden.
There are other fresh water supplies not too far from us. We are also looking to store some fuel, and have horses for both transport and labor if needed. It will all take time, but we're working with a timeline of things to have when (and as we can afford it).
Post SHTF, we'd add tobacco to our crop list also. We'd also devote more yard space to expanding the garden, if something happened. We'll be putting in some fruit trees next year, and adding chickens next spring.

Backup generators are to be added, as well as converting the well pump to solar.

Here's the place. I know, I know...but seriously, how many people will even remember these posts by the time a SHTF event happens.

TheRanch.jpg

everybody in your area knows about your place, or will hear about it. Enough of them will come to "visit", too. your area is just full of good places for a sniper to set up and pick off you and yours. if shtf, better figure on a short "bugout" , to a dugout shelter, near where you have cached a year's supply of food. The townfolk outtnumber farmers and ranchers by 50 to 1. So you can't defend such a place, and a helluva lot of "townies" will be headed your way, if shtf. they will have no chioice, since they will run out of water in 2-3days,and the cities will burn.

If I could build anything and money wasn't an option? haha.... I would build this.
Fortress_zps13715b8d.png

another idea occured to me when it comes to that..buield a home around a pond/small lake where it's in a centered court yard..that way it'll be there for easy access for fresh water n all..

Always loved the zombie house, hehe...

everybody in your area knows about your place, or will hear about it. Enough of them will come to "visit", too. your area is just full of good places for a sniper to set up and pick off you and yours. if shtf, better figure on a short "bugout" , to a dugout shelter, near where you have cached a year's supply of food. The townfolk outtnumber farmers and ranchers by 50 to 1. So you can't defend such a place, and a helluva lot of "townies" will be headed your way, if shtf. they will have no chioice, since they will run out of water in 2-3days,and the cities will burn.

Hear about it how? I don't advertise my preps to anyone but anonymously on the Internet to a small group of folks who are like-minded (and usually spread all over the globe) or close friends who are the ones invited if the SHTF.
Exactly, they'll be out of water, fuel, etc. Not exactly ideal conditions for traveling around a lot to find scattered rural holdups that may or may not have something, and if they are, are likely well-defended. The "townies" as you put it, will be at each other's throats long before they venture out of the city.

Just because I'm bugging in doesn't mean there aren't other, backup plans to not only bug out, but also take back in the event of loss.

There are a few defensive things I do want to build though...

1) A Hidden Bunker - at first, I was pretty resigned to die if we are nuked, but really, it's quite survivable where we are. Same with a nuclear incident, and fallout or even an impact event that doesn't kill us all outright. Seems the first 48 hours are the most dangerous for radiation, and then the rest of a two-week period if your area actually gets a big dose of it. In addition, this could serve as a redoubt area if we are overrun, to take back the place. Basically, the plan would be to dig down, build the bunker with poured concrete, cinder blocks, and rebar, and hide the area that does stick above ground (I've got a good idea on this one...basically, something that most will never go near). It won't be built for comfort, but will be livable for 48 hours to two weeks if the worst happens (concrete and earth are great for blocking radiation). - this project will probably be a while, as I'm still working on the final design, and it will be expensive, and with almost ZERO immediate benefit, which knocks it down on the priority list. I'll likely barter for the materials though, so it may just be a project of opportunity. Something I discovered while designing, you only need beds for 1/3 of the occupants, as if you use shifts, only a third will be sleeping at one time. Greatly reduces needed space.

2) Pillbox Planters - basically, these are cinder block pillboxes (painted decoratively) at strategic points with good fields of fire and observation for sentries. However, prior to a SHTF event, they'd be filled up with dirt, and plants. Come a SHTF event, the plants are dug out, and a roof panel bolted on top, but until then, they are just landscaping. - this project will be done middle of next year, I'm constantly collecting cinder blocks, and already have the rebar and concrete for it. Another pillbox will be the grill area, though it will just look like an area for the grill, vs. defense.

3) Vehicle Stoppers - about 3' in front of the perimeter fencing, I want to sink 6" diameter posts (4' long, so 2' below ground and with concrete, 2' above ground) every 3' to prevent vehicles from rolling through the fencing. Has a practical use now, just in case someone careens off the road, etc., like convenience stores use. Most of the property already has trees that fulfill this role, but there are open spots where this would be good. - this project will be done end of next year hopefully (and we have to have a locator company come out just to be sure we don't disrupt any roadside utilities.)

We want to build a home that is mostly underground. Texas is hot and it would eliminate the need for a lot of A/C. Plus if we have 2000 feet underground and only 1000 above ground, it doesn't make our home look like anything special. We also want to put basements under all of our out buildings. The more we can keep underground and away from prying eyes, the better. We would also bury our water tanks and fuel tanks. Everything above ground would be as modest looking as possible. Solar panels would be placed lower to the ground so that people couldn't see them from the road. Stealth would be key for me.

ally...going that route..might try going with a well for each loaction..or just one well in which each location draws water from it..and include hand pumps for back up at each location..

ally...going that route..might try going with a well for each loaction..or just one well in which each location draws water from it..and include hand pumps for back up at each location..
For sure! We would have a well and hand pumps. Frankly, I don't know why everyone around here doesn't put in a hand pump. It seems like such a small expense when you are putting in your well and septic system to begin with.

I think the trick is getting the hand pump and electric pump down the same shaft. I'll have to recheck my notes on it, but I know I looked into it before, but maybe I just didn't check enough. I'd love to have a backup hand pump for it.
Right now, the emergency solution is a special bucket we could lower down if we needed to (that's if we ran out of stored water).

Sadly, basements not an option in FL. I'd be doing good to get away with a shallow bunker.

im thinking..have 1 line comeing in to where it needs to.then add a Y,,then add shut off vaules to the 2 parts of where it Y'S off at.have water pump on one vaule.and hand pump on the other..and all ya gotta do,is shut one off and open the other..less plumbing that way....

If done when first putting in maybe, but for existing? There's the problem.

good point..so,for someone who knows what thier doing..might be able to look it all over.and come up with a idea that'll work.and in a way it'll corresspond with whats already there.

Yep, I've got some feelers out about it. I've got a lot of backup water options though, so I'm not too worried.

I am starting plans for my dream house/prepper paradise lol
many ideas floating around right now...big focus now like with picking any spot is LOCATION
and how to 'hide' that location and keep it safe

Trees, trees, and more trees! (and a long, long, winding, winding road through those trees).

Latest posts

Back