Hi everyone / Preppers Photo Project

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corinna

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am Corinna, 30, a German photojournalist and documentary photographer, part of Getty Images Reportage. For the last two years I have been traveling to various countries to tell people’s stories through photo documentaries. I am currently working on a photo project on ‘Preppers' and the motivations behind preparing against forces beyond one’s control.

Through photography I aim to explore Prepping as a natural response to our modern society. I want to understand to what extent Prepping acts as a coping mechanism, giving a sense of security and safety in our regulated, yet disorderly and fast-changing world. I am interested in how it affects and shapes people’s lives, in what way it empowers one and in what way it restricts one. My project aims to give insights into the lives of Preppers in order to challenge preconceived notions about this topic and questioning the stereotypical structures entrenched in society. Therefore I am searching for people who are interested in taking part; by telling your stories I would like to address people who identify with the prepping lifestyle, as well as bring it closer to those unfamiliar with it. I use my photography to further understanding of what lies behind certain facets of the human nature.

My project involves a portrait series of Preppers, shot in their homes or some prepped personal environment, as well as documentary photographs that convey their prepping lifestyle and how it shapes their daily life. Of course you will get your photos that I take during your project and I am happy to also take photos just for you.

I will be visiting New York and Montreal in October and it would be great to find participants there or in other areas closeby. But of course, anyone who is interested in participating, please reach out since I do travel a lot. Moreover, if anyone knows about specific events or meetings related to prepping, I would very much appreciate if you could let me know.

For your reference, here my website:
http://www.corinnakern.com

and Getty Images Reportage profile:
http://www.reportagebygettyimages.com/corinna-kern/

Please get in touch via my e-mail
[email protected]

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Corinna

Corinna, Think I will pass. You may call many of us a paranoid bunch but in truth many of us want to protect what we have and that be our family. Just an FYI, unless your looking for a soul mate? your age really wasn't necessary, you got to admit you did start off like you were visiting a dating site ;)

Prepping is not a coping mechanism as many people assume ( usually left leaning journalists) , it is a lifestyle choice and insurance methods combined primarily to ensure continuity of a family during uncertain times. We take the best of pre 24 hour shopping society (Self reliance and Contingency Planning for uncertain events) and the best of modern design to ensure our quality of life is not impacted by global events OR its effects greatly mitigated. Fraulein it may come as a slight surprise but if you have Life Insurance, Car Insurance, Home Insurance even a First Aid kit at home you to are a prepper.

Last edited:
Sorry Corrine, I could have told you that this wouldn't go over well here. Most here are ordinary people that see the problems in the world today and want to have a little more security than what FEMA promises. They have also seen the ridicule and contempt from the average moron out there that seriously believes FEMA can take care of them. I doubt anyone here would want to advertise their preps, even to a beautiful young lady like yourself. Good luck in future ventures.

Sorry Corrine, I could have told you that this wouldn't go over well here. Most here are ordinary people that see the problems in the world today and want to have a little more security than what FEMA promises. They have also seen the ridicule and contempt from the average moron out there that seriously believes FEMA can take care of them. I doubt anyone here would want to advertise their preps, even to a beautiful young lady like yourself. Good luck in future ventures.

They also know that every time preppers and journalists meet the preppers end up getting insulted, abused and misrepresented.

I am not sure how many of you actually took a look at my work. I thought the photos on my site would speak for themselves. I think, for all topics I chose to document so far, I did show a different and very humane side to them, opposite to how they are usually misrepresented by the mainstream media. My intentions were never to depict people as weird or paranoid. I understand you made bad experiences before but I don't think it is necessary to reflect this onto everyone who is actually trying to tell this story with good intentions.
And yes, completely agree about the insurances... same thing. I do think these are coping mechanisms, too, though, as are many conscious or unconscious behaviors in daily life. I didn't want to offend anyone by using this term, matter of definition I guess. Also my lifestyle of traveling or photographing is a coping mechanism in some ways.

I am not sure how many of you actually took a look at my work. I thought the photos on my site would speak for themselves. I think, for all topics I chose to document so far, I did show a different and very humane side to them, opposite to how they are usually misrepresented by the mainstream media. My intentions were never to depict people as weird or paranoid. I understand you made bad experiences before but I don't think it is necessary to reflect this onto everyone who is actually trying to tell this story with good intentions.
And yes, completely agree about the insurances... same thing. I do think these are coping mechanisms, too, though, as are many conscious or unconscious behaviors in daily life. I didn't want to offend anyone by using this term, matter of definition I guess. Also my lifestyle of traveling or photographing is a coping mechanism in some ways.
I did look at your work, and do think your a talented photographer, and seem to do serious work, not just entertainment. That being said, I still think privacy is important to most here. We exchange ideas and encouragement between ourselves, but I don't believe many will want to 'advertise' our efforts to the world. I don't doubt your intentions are honorable here, but I'm still inclined to say thanks but no thanks.

@Corinna, We really ain't a rough bunch it's that the modern journalism and T.V. shows like 'Doomsday Preppers' have left a very bad taste in our mouths and done nothing but bring the wrong opinions and judgment. The wannabe preppers everyone sees on television are not us, the only exploitation here on this forum is as Brent stated above "exchange ideas and encouragement between ourselves" We have the old and the young of both men and women, we all learn from one another in different ways of prepping be it natural/man made disasters, growing financial issues to gardening to construction to wilderness survival. Prepping isn't about militants that want to take over the world or over throw governments on the contrary we don't want any part of it in fact, we prefer to be left alone in our private lives, media exploitation is very destructive and the deception we have seen from many main stream news outlets tells us not one is to be trusted regardless of the past glorious reputations. The only agenda we have here is surviving difficult times we may face. We view the media as we view politicians regardless if republican or democrat given they all have an agenda we don't want to be a part of.

With all that is said here from us, I hope you stay around and see what it really is about and not what you perceive it to be and engage in some of the conversations be warned though, some conversation tend to go off the reservation, we might learn something from you such as home remedies etc..! Oh, and to dispel any notion we are some form of a hate group or it's likes, I am half German with more than a quarter Native American, My wife is half Cherokee and half Mexican, I only speak English it's my wife that speaks fluid German, English, French, Spanish and Russian (ya, I don't get it either) and Corinna, Welcome to the DDP forum.

Need to back-track a little, the only hate group here and she's really not part of the forum per say but she does stand behind me from time to time tapping the back of my head pointing out my grammatical errors, see, my Wife is a grammar-nazi that group hates everyone and I mean everyone ;)

Last edited:
Corrina your work on "Sangomas" excellent pictures but sadly it only portrais a half truth, living here and knowing the full extent of the culture surrounding sangomas, it leaves me wondering, do you really want to tell the truth through your work, or just a sugar coated version of it? Three examples. 1 The slaughter at Marikana, two days prior to the event two security guards was killed, mutilated and burned to death, while they were alive certain organs was removed from them and also burned and ground into a fine ash, on the day of the event, that ash powder was given to to the striking miners as "medicine" for protection and strength against the security forces deployed to maintain law and order, they were told by the sangoma that they would be invincible, history just proved otherwise. 2. It is well known in african culture that the sangoma's cure for having aids is to rape a virgin under aged child be it male or female and the younger the better the stonger the muti "medicine". 3. One of the practices of sangomas involves having sex with an animal usually a goat. I will just throw in a last ritual for good measure one that our countries president is privy to, every year when spring arrives the Zulu's have a sacraficial ritual overseen by a group of sangomas, where a live young bull is killed by a group men using only their bare hands, it is suffocated by pulling its to tongue out of its mounth, the animal dies a horrible slow painfull death, then it is ripped apart with their bare hands and eaten raw, all so that they could have prosperous season of planting and harvesting.
So this "wonderfull" sangoma culture you took some nice pictures off actually has the most vile practices you could ever imagine, so either you need to start doing your homework or portraying the whole truth, up to you, kind regards Joe.

Beautiful rich and very emotive photography that is a clearly your forte, but nonetheless it would be disastrous for any serious and committed survivalist or prepper to discarded their personal or operational security by exposing themselves to the spotlight of the media. Modern journalism be it here in the UK, or in the US or Europe has only ever been portrayed in the negative. As we like to say Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

My intentions were never to depict people as weird or paranoid. I understand you made bad experiences before but I don't think it is necessary to reflect this onto everyone who is actually trying to tell this story with good intentions.

But Fraulein as soon as you referred to prepping as a coping mechanism that was an attack on our cultural beliefs and chosen lifestyle. Many of our community are HOMESTEADERS, OFF GRIDDERS, SMALL HOLDERS, REMOTE LIVING COMMUNITIES, Small Scale Farmers etc it is a CHOSEN WAY OF LIFE for huge numbers of people NOT a coping mechanism.

The only good photographic coverage of our culture on a global scale so far ( which was still a depressing tome) was the photo book WAITING FOR THE END OF THE WORLD by RICHARD ROSS ISBN1-56898-466-9 you may find it interesting as it focuses on the structural aspect of survivalism rather than the human side.

Last edited:
I would not be so pleased to put my face on display ,as so many here where I live still believe that the government will save us all,the government is omnipotent,so I'll keep educating myself,gather preps and knowledge,though this harddrive they call a brain is sometimes slow.
there is a storm brewing,will I or any be able to cope it? don't know,but I do know we here are hell bent on trying.

Thanks to the main stream media both printed and TV survivalism and preparedness are etched into western societies psyche as something extreme to be condemned and ridiculed as " gun nuts", "rambos", " Hippies" " Loopy Greens" etc From movies like Tremors, The Survivalist, World War Z, Red Dawn etc through TV media with Z Nation, The Walking Dead, The Last Ship etc. Into supposed factual shows like Doomsday Bunkers, Doomsday Preppers ( US and UK versions). The media always portrays us in the worst possible but most rating attractive method. EG Why film preppers aquaponics set up or solar array or the preppers doing First Aid or Amateur Radio licence courses when they can portray them running around with guns, fortifying their remote homes and wearing cammo clothing whilst preaching hate. Yet any close investigation of preppers you find few extremists and lots of genuine ordinary everyday people simply taking sensible precautionary steps to protect their families from storms, floods, quakes, unemployment, riots, shortages etc. If this lady wanted to record in photography REAL GENUINE HARD CORE PREPPERS she would have imges of guys cleaning vehicles and gardening tools, wives preserving or baking food, children using their space time NOT to roam the streets but to learn useful skills. The homes would look almost identical to everyone else's homes just with more books, more food perhaps bigger kitchens and pantries and gardens turned over to food instead of flowers. The family would still watch the Simpsons on TV but would also watch global current affairs shows to stay informed.

We are both the PRE and the POST consumer era combined.

Last edited:
and the way media works today it's only about rating and money and that is not gained by pics of ordinary people,that's done by giving a sinister and gloomy picture how preppers are gun crazy,extremists in all it's goory way and that's not the way I see myself or my fellow preppers here.
sure we've had our share of nut jobs here,but the admin has been kind to remove them, and the way the "wind blows" here in Europe I have no intention to become cannon fodder for the lefties,where they can point a finger on me and say;here's the proof,we need to take all arms out of circulation so that we can sit down in a circle,hold hands and sing kumba-ya and open borders for all.

and I'm quite suspicious of a journalist who comes from frau Merkel land.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back