"HAM" Radio Licensing

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Communication is critical, maybe not for speaking, but listening in for situational awareness. A HAM radio will be handy, but also a frequency scanner as well. A 2-way radio system could be dangerous because they are not secure and anyone could listen in. Be watchful of what you say, use internal code words that can not be figured out and change them every so often. Just like some people are preping in more of a defensive mindset, you can rest assured that others are prepping in an offensive mindset to take what they need and they will be listening. Do not forget about the visual form of communication.

Communication is critical, maybe not for speaking, but listening in for situational awareness. A HAM radio will be handy, but also a frequency scanner as well. A 2-way radio system could be dangerous because they are not secure and anyone could listen in. Be watchful of what you say, use internal code words that can not be figured out and change them every so often. Just like some people are preping in more of a defensive mindset, you can rest assured that others are prepping in an offensive mindset to take what they need and they will be listening. Do not forget about the visual form of communication.
Well said.
You can say a lot without uttering a sound.
I have thought about trying to get the family to learn Morse code as not too many people use it or even understand it any more.
A private set of codes is paramount to say the least.

I wandered into this forum because about this time last year I was of the same opinion...communications during/after an SHTF event will be absolutely critical.

What I found is - the FCC controls/polices the communication frequencies in order to preserve them for communication when everything else fails. They set up the licensing process - not to limit speech, but because it really does require some special technique and skill to operate long distance communications. It isn't tremendously difficult stuff to learn - at least the part I'm studying.

Weak power communication - CB radio, FRS (also known as Family Radio, I think) has about a 2-5 mile radius, maybe as far as 30 miles on a good day - doesn't need any special licensing.

Scanners - if you think the FCC licensing is too much of an infringement - maybe the best alternative to radio/TV/Internet (which all crash in an SHTF event - and I'm talking more like Katrina, than I am a global meltdown/pandemic/solar flare) is a scanner, with a good antenna. If you're only looking for local information you can get by with spending $30 to $100 for a good set up - but if you want to know what the emergency "chatter" is outside the local areas - you have to know the frequencies/codes and dial them in. However - Uniden has a REALLY good one called the Uniden HomePatrol (eBay has them: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=Uniden+Home&_sacat=0&_from=R40). It's a little pricey for a one-way communication device - $300 - $450 - but you can download a list of your favorite cities (like, where you're family lives) and store it in memory. Later, you can push the button and listen to what's going on in those cities. Don't have to search for any frequencies, no complicated tuning, and the antenna is still pretty standard.

Now, if you want to talk to the world, maybe direct some supplies into your area after a disaster/hurricane/tornado/earthquake, or find out where the shelters/food distribution locations are...well then you're going to need to go HF/UHF/VHF. Those WILL require licensing. Mostly because YOU and YOU alone will have to figure out how to safely and efficiently operate a system in any kind of weather or situation understanding that you're using a system that produces HIGH VOLTAGE, it could create RF (Radio Frequency) RADIATION (not as harmful as atomic radiation - but long-term exposure does cause some health risks like; headaches, neuro-muscular issues, etc.,), it can also cause interference to other electronic devices. Some devices use micro-waves - like cell phones - to transmit radio signals. The FCC licenses you to insure YOU have the basic level of knowledge to operate safely, your skill grows as you encounter trouble and learn to overcome it. The FCC then relies upon the amateurs to utilize these skills/equipment in order to handle critical communications during periods where normal communications/power grid goes down. I've got loads of stories of how Ham Radio operators were directing military helicopters to rescue positions during hurricanes Katrina, Ivan, and Andrew...I was told of a heroic Kuwaiti amateur radio operator, who transmitted all through the Iraqi occupation. He relayed critical information to the US right under Sadaam's nose...it has me absolutely fascinated. I've been through enough storms to know this is a critical function

So you see, Im no government lackey, and a few months ago I pretty much felt like Krime and Clydesdale - but I have to say that after doing a little more research (and at least in this instance) - by licensing, the government (via the FCC) is keeping the airwaves free and insuring that qualified freedom lovers will be able to lend a hand when the SHTF!

And you KNOW it will...again...

I caught this subject on another thread, been banging away on www for hrs to learn more. the actual costs are not that bad, in fact I spend many times as much on things that wont help me as much, I am gonna catch this band wagon, its a winner.

When the devil is in the details, and your butt is on the line, outside communication will be worth more than its weight in gold.
I am going to bed, I learned something today.

Excellent Hades!

I am only slightly further along this road...you're approaching it correctly...educate yourself. If something sounds a bit odd - then there's probably some disinformation or misinformation attached.

In my case, I actually bought a short-wave radio, WITHOUT a license, intending to use it as an emergency communication radio. I happened to run across a ham who I openly shared my "plan" with...and he quickly pointed out my error. I had bought a radio that operates on a band that goes silent as the sun goes down...

...he was not judgmental at all...I actually found him to believe very similarly to me...and after sharing some information about types of prepping, why we're prepping, we concluded we were in synch. He told me HF radio was probably what I was looking for...he really got me by asking me what I thought about getting images sent to my computer via my radio (SSTV) without the Internet and without relying on the power grid (using deep cycle, marine batteries)!!

He set me straight on some of my misconceptions and pointed me in the direction of the right hardware for a beginner and the type of communication/modes for my needs. These old Ham Radio guys are experts in many areas - if you know one, ask some questions centered around what you want to do with your comms...watch them come alive! They're absolutely PASSIONATE about this stuff (and I have begun to see why)!

After diagnosing what I wanted to do and what type of a range I was looking to "work" - I now have a radio, multi-band antenna, understand something about making contact, radio practices, safety, electrical basics, and a little about radio wave propagation that should help me maintain contact with my group spread out over 30 miles locally, and family 500-600 miles away.

Anyway, I take my Exams for Tech, General, and Extra class - this Saturday. I've been studying the books, and taking practice exams to prepare - gotta tell you - I now feel like I have a skill that will be valued after an SHTF event!

Although I am still very new at this Amateur Radio "stuff", if I can help Hades, let me know!

Excellent Hades!

I am only slightly further along this road...you're approaching it correctly...educate yourself. If something sounds a bit odd - then there's probably some disinformation or misinformation attached.

In my case, I actually bought a short-wave radio, WITHOUT a license, intending to use it as an emergency communication radio. I happened to run across a ham who I openly shared my "plan" with...and he quickly pointed out my error. I had bought a radio that operates on a band that goes silent as the sun goes down...

...he was not judgement all...I actually found him to believe very similarly to me...and after sharing some information about types of prepping, why we're prepping, we concluded we were in synch. He told me HF radio was probably what I was looking for...he really got me by asking me what I thought about getting images sent to my computer via my radio (SSTV) without the Internet and without relying on the power grid (using deep cycle, marine batteries)!!

He seat me straight on some of my misconceptions and pointed me in the direction of the right hardware for a beginner and the type of communication/modes for my needs. These old Ham Radio guys are experts in many areas - if you know one, ask some questions centered around what you want to do with your comms...watch them come alive! They absolutely PASSIONATE about this stuff (and I have begun to see why)!

After diagnosing what I wanted to do and what type of a range I was looking to "work" - I now have a radio, multi-band antenna, understand something about making contact, radio practices, safety, electrical basics, and a little about radio wave propagation that should help me maintain contact with my group spread out over 30 miles locally, and family 500-600 miles away.

Anyway, I take my Exams for Tech, General, and Extra class - this Saturday. I've been studying the books, and taking practice exams to prepare - gotta tell you - I now feel like I have a skill that will be valued after an SHTF event!

Although I am still very new at this Amateur Radio "stuff", if I can help Hades, let me know!
Thank you for the two excellent posts! I too am studying for my Ham license. I agree the importance of this type of communication will be so beneficial! I know the Gov't will probably become someone dependent on those who have this equipment to help spread the word of what is going on in the world some what similar to telegraph in the 1800's.

These two posts of yours have got me to stat studying with more determination!

Thanks again!

Alright Clydesdale!

If you have an iPhone or an Android based smartphone - you can download the free ARRL apps for the practice exams for all 3 classes! I bought the upgrade for each because it gives you some extra study features.

You can also use a free practice exam website on your computer. There are several, but the one I used is www.hamtestonline.com . That particular site also has the study guides for all the license classes. Meaning they basically have each Manual uploaded - but I believe you have to pay for access to that information.

The point I am making is - cost doesn't have to be a limiting factor.

If anyone is concerned that it is too difficult to learn - I feel your pain - that is what stopped me from trying to get my license for at least a year! You see, I am not a "math guy" and I know NOTHING about electricity...but after a a few weeks/couple months if studying...I feel confident enough to have scheduled my test locally for this weekend! So don't think it's too hard, because if I can learn this stuff, ANYONE can!

Here's how I have studied: I bought & read the books for each license class (but you don't have to BUY one. The information is on-line, or at the library). I then take the practice exams from my downloaded apps repeatedly. The app "study" feature actually isolates the questions you always get wrong. i then go back and read that section - or memorize the correct answer - and then take the practice exam as often as you need, in order to get to that critical 85% score they say you need before you take the actual exam.

The questions aren't just similar to the actual exam - they are the EXACT question pool. Not the exact questions, in order, but the exact question pool that is used (there are several versions/combinations of the official exam administered each time it is given). The more often you take the practice exam, the more likely you are to see the question!

Oh and in case you haven't thought of it - to insure some OPSEC, I bought a PO box. Once you get your license, you're issued a call sign by the FCC. Your call sign, name & address goes into a national database (called the ULS). The FCC makes this database a "matter of public record" - meaning folks could look up your call sign and find the address you list on your FCC forms - so if you're concerned about OPSEC at all, buy a post office box, or have your mail sent to a family member! Now typically the only folks who know/use the database are other Ham operators...I just didn't like the idea of publishing my home address on ANY list!

One last motivation for you: there are only a little more than 700,000 licensed amateur radio operators in the United States. In a country with a population of 300,000,000 people - that works out to LESS than HALF of a HALF-PERCENT (.002)!!!

Meaning - you will have a rare skill, indeed!

OK, I just executed the next step in my Prepps - I officially passed my licensing exam for the General class Amateur Radio Operator (still don't like calling myself a Ham...although my wife thinks it fits perfectly)!

Congrats! how was the test?

Thanks Clydesdale! It was EXACTLY like the one on www.HamTestOnline.com!

I must have taken the Tech & General practice tests 100 times each over the past month...they prepared me very well. I didn't miss any on the Tech, and only missed one on the General (now the Extra on the other hand....I was only able to get between 58% and 65%). The Tech & General had a total of 35 questions, each....while the Extra had 50 questions....

I thought I would post this as I am have this book and am currently studying for my Ham Radio Operator's License.

Many believe when evrything goes south this may well be your only method of communications with the rest of the Country/World.

Ham Radio License Manual

I have found this book to be easy to understand as I am not an electronics guru.

Clydesdale,
That is the book I used to study for the test. I read the book but I also took some of the practice tests online. I got my license 10/28/08. Boy time flies.

I used www.hamtestonline.com to take 3 different practice exams (actual, weak areas, unseen items). It is not an exaggeration that I took these tests 100 times.

Don't get me wrong, I think you need the book - if you're having a specific problems with a type of problem - you can read that specific area. It also has some of the charts you can refer to.

That was my plan, some like to read the book and take the test, whatever works for you!

But I like your idea to use Ham Radio as a communication tool for the inevitable period that's coming.

I used www.hamtestonline.com to take 3 different practice exams (actual, weak areas, unseen items). It is not an exaggeration that I took these tests 100 times.

Don't get me wrong, I think you need the book - if you're having a specific problems with a type of problem - you can read that specific area. It also has some of the charts you can refer to.

That was my plan, some like to read the book and take the test, whatever works for you!

But I think you're idea to use Ham Radio as a communication tool for the inevitable period that's coming.
Thanks for the information! I will definitely check this site out!

One outstanding feature (of many) of the paid membership is you can take tests and study JUST "weak areas"...these are questions from the practice exams that you consistently get wrong. The more practice exams you take, the more accurate the "weak areas" become...

You can also hit "study"and study a particular question or group of questions.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back