DPF Radio Net?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNwr786

Demi-God
Reaction score
Who would like to see a weekly forum radio net? It might get people inspired to focus on simpler and more reliable means of communication and I think it would be a ton of fun for us to get on the air together. Typically, with ham radio, you have a "net control", a guy tasked with taking check-ins, relaying important news, taking important news from stations that have some, then passing the mic around the table (world/country) starting with the short time stations that are either mobile or have limited time. A net control is not strictly necessary, but it does help keep the mic moving around and prevents any one person from keeping others waiting for hours to share their weekly updates. Solar cycle 25 has been treating the bands well lately and I think it would be fun to start a net or two. One could be on a ham band, another on CB (11m has been open quite often lately).

Any opinions???????????

I think there would probably be a ton of preppers tuning in to listen but few would check in. Most wouldn’t want their call sign and location revealed and far fewer would want their call sign associated with their DPF name or “handle”. I would not mind seeing a venue, uncensored by and free of big tech manipulation and their infrastructure. I don’t have a problem with an online reflector for listening but there exists a desperate need to bypass big tech for legal free speech. Of course governments have already made sure they have the ability to associate an IP address with a QTH

I think there would probably be a ton of preppers tuning in to listen but few would check in. Most wouldn’t want their call sign and location revealed and far fewer would want their call sign associated with their DPF name or “handle”. I would not mind seeing a venue, uncensored by and free of big tech manipulation and their infrastructure. I don’t have a problem with an online reflector for listening but there exists a desperate need to bypass big tech for legal free speech. Of course governments have already made sure they have the ability to associate an IP address with a QTH
I can understand that concern. However, I believe there are some reasons those concerns lean toward the impractical side (not to say they are invalid though).

1-Being a member of a prepper site does not necessarily mean one has worth while preps, and even if it did, the person seeking out those preps would need to weigh the likelihood of that being true AND the likelihood no one else has had similar thoughts of taking them before traveling significant distance to find out.
2-If SHTF, I bet the net would end, which is when the bad people will come out. If I were to put myself in a crooks mindset for a moment, I know there are plenty of resources near here and keeping a running list of those who have them elsewhere would be of little use to me.
3-If the net was on 11m, no call sign is needed. That would require smart people with direction finding antennas to have located you beforehand (again, assuming the net had stopped running). Anyone with the motivation to read a chapter on direction finding and take time to practice such skills will be plenty occupied not depending on others to make it.

I just watched a movie (forget the name, something down the road i think) where the world was a nuclear wasteland. The main threat was looters and cannibals. I thought that was interesting because they did a great job (although never toughing on the point) at making me realize those looking to loot and eat people will eventually deplete their local resources and need to travel and fight continuously to survive. I do not believe these types of people will pose any long-term threat when the world comes crashing down. Only the people who have a desire to thrive rather than survive will actually do so in a healthy and functional manner for more than a few months. And anyone with the mindset of "I'll just take what I need", well, they are not smart enough to make it very far. Even in large groups, the hierarchy issue alone would tear them apart.

Well I'm thinking of both pre and post SHTF scenarios. Post SHTF comms practice may include intentional misdirection on needs or supplies so the net could still be around.
For the record, my experience is that Amateur Radio Operators tend to be fairly snobbish against 11m even though its just as dead as 10m these days.
CB 11m doesn't provide reliable coast to coast comm range like the full spectrum does that is available to General class and Amateur Extra class licensees.
I'd forget the movie stuff or at least take it with a grain of salt. There is a book called One Second After that I consider to have some elements of practical reality in a post SHTF world. Of course the author had to include a story climax but the lead up to it will make you do a self assessment on what you are really ready for.

Who would like to see a weekly forum radio net? It might get people inspired to focus on simpler and more reliable means of communication and I think it would be a ton of fun for us to get on the air together. Typically, with ham radio, you have a "net control", a guy tasked with taking check-ins, relaying important news, taking important news from stations that have some, then passing the mic around the table (world/country) starting with the short time stations that are either mobile or have limited time. A net control is not strictly necessary, but it does help keep the mic moving around and prevents any one person from keeping others waiting for hours to share their weekly updates. Solar cycle 25 has been treating the bands well lately and I think it would be fun to start a net or two. One could be on a ham band, another on CB (11m has been open quite often lately).

Any opinions???????????
Sounds like a great idea! Any specific time frame / day of the week?

My dipole is laying on the ground right now because the "type 31" ferrites I bought off amazon were a scam so I am reordering from palomar or fair-rite once I get to the town on wednesday and add cash to my "buy stuff online card". I need to throw together a 1:1 current balun before I hang it in the trees.

I wouldnt mind anything tuesday through thursday in the evening sometime, perhaps 7 or 8pm central time, but I would like to have others weigh in so it is convenient as possible for everyone interested before setting any day/time in stone.

I'm in. 40 or 20, could try both and see which one gives the best coverage. Although, our local prepper net is finding the band conditions changer hourly. But then, we are all in the same state, so finding a solid "local" HF band is tough in itself.

I'm in. 40 or 20, could try both and see which one gives the best coverage. Although, our local prepper net is finding the band conditions changer hourly. But then, we are all in the same state, so finding a solid "local" HF band is tough in itself.
How high is your antenna? For comms within the same state, NVIS (near vertical incidence skywave) is a great strategy (but not effective at frequencies much higher than 15MHz due to the MUF letting signals escape to outer space) . Having the antenna between 0.1 and 0.3 wavelength above the ground instead of the commonly recommended 0.5 might help. I cannot wait to get my ferrites ordered.

Yeah, I know how NVIS works, I've been doing this for a long time. The problem is summer atmospherics, the antenna can't help with those. But band hopping can relieve it somewhat.

My dipole is laying on the ground right now because the "type 31" ferrites I bought off amazon were a scam so I am reordering from palomar or fair-rite once I get to the town on wednesday and add cash to my "buy stuff online card".
Here's a photo of my ferrite replacement. My 40M dipole is so low (maybe 5' above the ground) the length had to be reduced by several feet to get the SWR down. Rather than trim the wire, I just folded it back on itself several times until the analyzer read good. I use bright colored 550 cord so I don't run into it while mowing the lawn (did I mention it is pretty low?). The center is held up about 11' off the ground by a painter's pole.
end trim.JPG

I live in an HOA so I will most likely be using a chameleon vertical or if i feel up to playing Tetris with an antenna I will use a Buddipole long version.

You really need to move! To a place that's under your complete control.

If I lived under the dictatorship of a homeowners association, I would put up the biggest ugliest antenna array, and when anyone asks what I think I am doing, I would show them the antenna connected to a tuner connected to a TV and tell them I was receiving television broadcasts. Cornell Law, specifically 47 CFR 1.4000 prohibits HOA's from restricting your access to broadcasts.

Take a look here

HOA is a real mess for an amteur radio opperator! I feel sorry for any ham that has to battle a HOA. I know that fight can be an expensive fight and only the lawers win. Several ham friends have waged that war, some were only sucessiful when they ran for a HOA elected position and then could change the rules from the inside. I would never live under the boot heel of a HOA. de KA5SIW

Latest posts

Back