"HAM" Radio Licensing

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was using another along with the AARL exam book I got off of Amazon.
I Used This one
2010-HRLM-Cover-REVISED-3D.jpg
and then switched to
Gordon West.jpg

I Used This one View attachment 1694 and then switched to View attachment 1695
When I went to the Tech I used the first one you show, but it didn't have the CD with it. I just used the back of the book with all the test questions and I didn't go to take the test until I could get a 99% of all the questions.
The day I took it, 12 people took the test, 3 passed, me and two others. I got there a little late so I was the last one to finish, I could have taken my General the same day but ran out of time.

When I went to the Tech I used the first one you show, but it didn't have the CD with it. I just used the back of the book with all the test questions and I didn't go to take the test until I could get a 99% of all the questions.
The day I took it, 12 people took the test, 3 passed, me and two others. I got there a little late so I was the last one to finish, I could have taken my General the same day but ran out of time.
When I took my Tech test I also took the General for the hell of it.
Well.....
I only got 13 correct. I think one of those correct was my name.

Do you ever use the "Win" System? http://www.winsystem.org/

Is there a major difference between HAM and CB? For use in a disaster situation?

Yes, HAM radio uses 100's (when using VHF/UHF, or 2 meters) to millions (HF or 10 to 160 meters) of radio frequencies - CB is limited to 40 channels. The types of equipment are similar (radios, antennas, feedlines), but the specifics are very different. For instance, high frequency (or HF) uses high power (100 watts and...above), whereas CB is legally limited in power to a maximum of 4 watts AM to 12 watts (PEP) on SSB.

CB, as well as the ham frequencies for VHF and UHF use vertically polarization - line of site - if the antenna is high enough those 4 to 12 watts will get you a few miles of range. The lower ham frequencies (from 10 meters/28 mHz to 80 meters/3.8 mHz) cover longer distances - to the other side of the world.

The big issue is this - since it is channelized - CB only offers 40 channels. During any emergency in a moderate sized town you will find 100's of people trying to use ANY method of communication besides cell phones. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on 40 channels when the SHTF!

But - the increased distance, the more numerous frequencies - require a greater knowledge of power, electronics, and more specialized equipment (not to mention a keen understanding of safe operation). That is why the FCC requires testing and licensing, you really do need to know what you're doing.

Hope that helps!

When I took my Tech test I also took the General for the hell of it.
Well.....
I only got 13 correct. I think one of those correct was my name.

Congratulations Clyde,

We know you have been working toward the goal of getting your license. Maybe some day you will post a top 10 tips to passing the exam, or what to really focus on the exam.

Congratulations Clyde,

We know you have been working toward the goal of getting your license. Maybe some day you will post a top 10 tips to passing the exam, or what to really focus on the exam.
Yes, congratulations Clyde!

I did the same on the Amateur Extra - got around 40% right...the real issue is you DID it!

Latest posts

Back