had a rude awakening this morning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
South Texas is not a "true" desert, more like desert plains. Water can be found almost by the mile, wind mills, water troughs, stock ponds.
West Texas is more " true " desert. That's where water is harder to locate.
Know your cactus. Some types are poisonous.
Be careful of cactus/ mesquite tree thorns, they can cause infections if left in the skin, or they go deep and break off.
I had to have a mesquite thorn surgically removed as a kid. It entered my heel and traveled, over the space of a month, and was removed through the space between my big toe and the next toe.
Not fun!
Now think of that happening with no meds available, no doctors.
I was on antibiotics before and after the surgery.

Last edited:
South Texas is not a "true" desert, more like desert plains. Water can be found almost by the mile, wind mills, water troughs, stock ponds.
West Texas is more " true " desert. That's where water is harder to locate.
Know your cactus. Some types are poisonous.
Be careful of cactus/ mesquite tree thorns, they can cause infections if left in the skin, or they go deep and break off.
I had to have a mesquite thorn surgically removed as a kid. It entered my heel and traveled, over the space of a month, and was removed through the space between my big toe and the next toe.
Not fun!
Now think of that happening with no meds available, no doctors.
I was on antibiotics before and after the surgery.

I love prickly pear, but they are a "turd" to deal with. . . When I weed my cactus garden I am always getting those little spines in my gloves, jeans. . whatever comes in contact with them, but they are so good to eat. The pads are like a veggie, the flower petals can be used in salads, and the "pears" are used like a fruit. It is so versatile in ways to prepare and so easy to gather around here. I started mine after hurricane Rita hit. Granny's neighbor next door to her had a cactus garden and I just picked up three pads from the beach and planted them into my front yard.

I use a pear burner ( propane torch) to remove the needles ( espinas in Spanish ).
I like to add the cactus ( nopal ) to my fajitas with onions and bell peppers.
I also have aloe plants. I use those for treating cuts and burns. Very soothing on sunburns and cracked or chapped lips.
The prickly pears ( tunas ) make a good jelly for canning.

I use a pear burner ( propane torch) to remove the needles ( espinas in Spanish ).
I also have aloe plants. I use those for treating cuts and burns. Very soothing on sunburns and cracked or chapped lips.
That's a tough food when you have to torch it to safely pick it! Honestly, I'd love to try cactus, safely of course.

Love the pears, but haven't made them into jelly so far,. . . I may just have to. I have been thinking about it though. They are super sweet and good to eat like is and the cactus are blooming right now and the pears will be ready for the picking very soon.
I also have some Aloe planted with the cactus and you are right on their use. I have used them on burns and they feel so nice, cool and soothing.

I have some blue agave and. Centenario agave. A ton of em. I'm thinking about looking into the process of making tequila from them. But it is probably very labor intensive, very delicate process, and illegal.
So for now I will only research. But tequila making skills could be handy come SHTF.

Well, I did read up on the process of making Tequila and it is all of the above and then some.
I do have one century plant that I want to harvest eventually for the agave nectar, use in place of honey. Apparently, they bloom once (after about 15 - 20 years depending on soil / climate) and then they die back.

I have some blue agave and. Centenario agave. A ton of em. I'm thinking about looking into the process of making tequila from them. But it is probably very labor intensive, very delicate process, and illegal.
So for now I will only research. But tequila making skills could be handy come SHTF.
Tequila makes me do bad things!;)

I have two in bloom now. And about 30 smaller ones in all different sizes. The two blooming are 7 years old.
I guess you are closer to their natural soil and climate than the person's blog that I read up on. Maybe I wont have so long to wait, then. . . mine is 9 years old.

Ran across this recipe for Cactus Candy today that sounded interesting.
1 prickly pear cactus leaf
3 cups sugar
1/2 water
2 T orange juice
1 T lemon juice
Remove spines from a piece of cactus leaf, peel, and cut into 1/2 in thick slices
Cover with water and soak overnight
Drain and cut strips into cubes
Add sugar, water, orange juice, and lemon juice, then cook until the syrup is absorbed. Just before syrup is absorbed, you can add food coloring if desired.
Dry pieces on racks. The drier it becomes, the longer it will keep

Ran across this recipe for Cactus Candy today that sounded interesting.
1 prickly pear cactus leaf
3 cups sugar
1/2 water
2 T orange juice
1 T lemon juice
Remove spines from a piece of cactus leaf, peel, and cut into 1/2 in thick slices
Cover with water and soak overnight
Drain and cut strips into cubes
Add sugar, water, orange juice, and lemon juice, then cook until the syrup is absorbed. Just before syrup is absorbed, you can add food coloring if desired.
Dry pieces on racks. The drier it becomes, the longer it will keep
cool! Thanks Danil54grl!

nice,thanks,
what type of cactus should I use?

do a Google search for prickly pear cactus.but then again.your in a different country and all.so you'll most and likely have to go with some other cactus

yeah,if I don't raid my botanical garden the cactus section and run like hell when the security tries to get me,
have to check at some of my ethnic-shops if they have it

In Oz prickly pear is a noxious weed that nearly ruined half the country. Luckily they found some moth that eats it and these days you don't see much. I do see it around though, never thought of eating it.

the prickly pear a noxious weed?? im speaking of a cactus.now im wondering how a cactus became a weed..LOL

In Oz prickly pear is a noxious weed that nearly ruined half the country. Luckily they found some moth that eats it and these days you don't see much. I do see it around though, never thought of eating it.

They are quite good but also a frequent stop for rattlesnakes here in the states, then again, what may be edible here may kill ya there. We have a tree in southern California that one can make tea from but that same tree in Colorado will kill a person almost impossible to tell the difference.

They are quite good but also a frequent stop for rattlesnakes here in the states, then again, what may be edible here may kill ya there. We have a tree in southern California that one can make tea from but that same tree in Colorado will kill a person almost impossible to tell the difference.

good point..

Latest posts

Back