Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kate, I use as large a pot as I can find. Usually not smaller than 2 to 3 gallon. Also, make sure you get soil especially for containers because they have to be watered constantly. Sometimes twice per day in Tennessee.

Also, there are smaller bush type plants. I have seed for Bush beefsteak and the small cherry type tomatoes. I found a tomato called Umberto Pear tomato. They are small, about the size of a golf ball. They were almost extinct. I can only find the seed at "Totally Tomatoes". I have very good luck with them. They are an heirloom.

Yes, I am using small, choppy sentences.
I don't know if they'll be happy about such a big pot on the sidewalk here at my apartment complex. I don't have my own balcony. I might try it though. I'll check next time I go to the store and see what they have.

I don't know if they'll be happy about such a big pot on the sidewalk here at my apartment complex. I don't have my own balcony. I might try it though. I'll check next time I go to the store and see what they have.

You can probably get by with a gallon size, but you have to babysit it.

I finally started last weekend to get the garden ready for planting. I now have 12 of my raised beds ready and started planting some 48 tomatoes, 42 different types of peppers and 6 eggplants. Tomorrow I plan on getting some green beans and squash planted along with starting to get some more beds ready. Each bed gets 5 wheelbarrow loads of cow manure on top then tilled in. It can be backbreaking and I can only get about 4 rows done before I am done on the heavy lifting.

I finally started last weekend to get the garden ready for planting. I now have 12 of my raised beds ready and started planting some 48 tomatoes, 42 different types of peppers and 6 eggplants. Tomorrow I plan on getting some green beans and squash planted along with starting to get some more beds ready. Each bed gets 5 wheelbarrow loads of cow manure on top then tilled in. It can be backbreaking and I can only get about 4 rows done before I am done on the heavy lifting.
I’m surprised your going to plant beans and tomatoes and summer crops this early. I’ve been out of home canned green beans for almost a year and the store canned ones suck so I’m eager too. I think we will have at least one more good freeze though. The wild swings in the weather make it a crap shoot and I don’t even know how to play craps!

I know what you mean. . . our winter was very mild and current temps are running about 10 degrees higher than normal, both highs and lows. If we do get a light frost or freeze I will just run a large tarp over the bed. Done it many a times. Maybe since I have not been able to do a garden since last spring I am just ready to get this started, but honestly I think the virus going around and seeing people in panic mode and stores empying out has lit a fire under my butt.

I know what you mean. . . our winter was very mild and current temps are running about 10 degrees higher than normal, both highs and lows. If we do get a light frost or freeze I will just run a large tarp over the bed. Done it many a times. Maybe since I have not been able to do a garden since last spring I am just ready to get this started, but honestly I think the virus going around and seeing people in panic mode and stores empying out has lit a fire under my butt.
Honestly I just planted cold stuff in the greenhouse. I should have had it in weeks ago. Hope to have some rows in the main garden planted this weekend. Guess I will try some beans and a few other things too.

I got the main garden mowed today. Was going to till but the rain came early and drove me inside. I did go fill up all the gas cans and top off the van I used. I had to check every can I had to get enough to fill the mower... I might add a couple more gas cans soon and some more stabilizer.

I got 13 beds planted so far. . . My green bean bed is 120 Italian Flat Beans. I was hoping to get a bed of Contenders in but I didn't find any in my seed stash. Guess I will have to make a run to the feed store next week. . . Other beds are Zucchini, Crookneck, Patty, Butternut, & Spaghetti squash, Arugula and Texas Pumlpkins. I'm going to try out the Butternut and Spaghetti on trellis this year and see how it goes.

So one of the boys family expanded their little garden this year. I asked him how the plant selection was when he went to pick them out Fri morning this week. He said he got what they were wanting but the selection had been picked over. I wondered if he just went at the wrong time or are there that many more people trying to start a garden this year? Anyone else notice?

I got 13 beds planted so far. . . My green bean bed is 120 Italian Flat Beans. I was hoping to get a bed of Contenders in but I didn't find any in my seed stash. Guess I will have to make a run to the feed store next week. . . Other beds are Zucchini, Crookneck, Patty, Butternut, & Spaghetti squash, Arugula and Texas Pumlpkins. I'm going to try out the Butternut and Spaghetti on trellis this year and see how it goes.

So one of the boys family expanded their little garden this year. I asked him how the plant selection was when he went to pick them out Fri morning this week. He said he got what they were wanting but the selection had been picked over. I wondered if he just went at the wrong time or are there that many more people trying to start a garden this year? Anyone else notice?
There are a lot of new preppers out there right now. I don’t have any flat green beans and they are my wife’s favorite. Guess I will venture out to a feed store the next time I have to leave the house. Have cut out most trips allready.

I just planted 50 bare root strawberries in the mud. I tried to till the weeds but it was so muddy I had to dig holes and then put newspaper around the plants to mark the plants until I can get in to get all the weeds.

That will be hell. Rain is in the forecast almost every day this month so I have to fit in what I can.

I just planted 50 bare root strawberries in the mud. I tried to till the weeds but it was so muddy I had to dig holes and then put newspaper around the plants to mark the plants unail I can get in to get all the weeds.

That will be hell. Rain is in the forecast almost every day this month so I have to fit in what I can.
I got ran out of the yard twice today from the rain. I surrender and am going to relax inside for the rest of the day now.

Well what I was wondering looks like it is happening. . .
Talked to one of my buddies that went to the feed store. Plants have been picked over and not a lot left. . . .People snatching them up. They said they have never seen anything like it.

The other buddy just called. He received a call from the feed store to say they just got in another shipment. If he wanted to come in and get what he had gone for this morning. They also let him know that this might have to be their final shipment. . . The nursery they order from is going to be shutting down very soon and they will not have anyone to do the shipping or watering to keep the plants alive.

They also told him that the 300 chicks that came in were all sold within 3 days. . . people are buying them up like crazy. People who have never had chickens before are buying them.

Latest posts

Back