Gardens 2020

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinjopo1

Awesome Friend
VIP Supporter
Neighbor
The other thread was for last year.

I checked my tomato seeds and I see a few popping through the starter mix. I can't see them all because the container is covered with plastic until they are mostly popped through.

I hope I don't repeat last Spring when I killed my first 36 tomato plants by adding too much fertilizer too early.

The other thread was for last year.

I checked my tomato seeds and I see a few popping through the starter mix. I can't see them all because the container is covered with plastic until they are mostly popped through.

I hope I don't repeat last Spring when I killed my first 36 tomato plants by adding too much fertilizer too early.
We did that with some tomato plants one time. It was sad.
Now I live in an apartment so I have potted plants. I only have ornamental plants now but I am planning to get some herbs soon. I've also seen people grow tomato plants in pots so I may try that as well.

I grow many of my tomatoes in pots. They need to be watched closely because they dry out so fast. My soil isn't good for tomatoes because of walnut trees.

Get the smaller, bush type.

I think I'm going to try growing potatoes in wire columns stuffed with straw this Spring. They won't take up much yard space that way. I've seen it done on Youtube.

I grow potatoes in containers because of walnut tree poisoning. Mine are small no matter how much I keep building up as they grow.

I wish you luck.

I think I'm going to try growing potatoes in wire columns stuffed with straw this Spring. They won't take up much yard space that way. I've seen it done on Youtube.
Ive seen people use used tires, stacking higher and adding dirt as they grow. When they are ready just knock over the stack and no digging up spuds. I don’t know how clean tires would be though as far as chemicals go.

We are expecting rain for the next week so I'm going to try and till today and get a few cold crops planted.

I planted english peas (green peas), spring green onions, beets and mustard greens yesterday. Have my potato and onion sets ready to go. I always plant potatoes around St. Patrick's Day. Already my husband is stalking the neighborhood rabbit population.

Getting our gardens ready. Planting at full capacity this year. I think we will need the extra food.

I am actually planting more this year for the same reason. I have the room and the seeds so no reason not to. Might be interesting trying to keep people out of it though.

I picked the carrots and beets that had been growing all winter in the greenhouse. I still have a lot of onions and leeks there but will pick as needed. I got it cleaned up and tilled everything but the onion area, raked it out watered it in. Hope to plant tomorrow. I ordered the new cover last week and should be able to pick it up this week. I thought about slating the roof with wood to attach lean panels but didn’t want to start a big project. Just recovering it takes a couple hours vs installing a more permanent roof being a couple days. Not to mention about two thousand bucks.... I get about three years out of the covering I’m using now. Am looking forwards to planting again.

I planted english peas (green peas), spring green onions, beets and mustard greens yesterday. Have my potato and onion sets ready to go. I always plant potatoes around St. Patrick's Day. Already my husband is stalking the neighborhood rabbit population.

I have a 6-7 foot fence around my gardens for deer, rabbits etc.

Over half of my strawberry plants have died. I'm bummed. I have 50 bare roots ordered but they wont produce until next year.

I have a 6-7 foot fence around my gardens for deer, rabbits etc.

Over half of my strawberry plants have died. I'm bummed. I have 50 bare roots ordered but they wont produce until next year.
If you have rabbits that could jump over a 5’ fence then I’d quit gardening and just hunt rabbits for food!

You are in a great place to defend there on the plateau. I’m sure you already know. Did you move there for that reason?

Like you I’ve got plants growing! Started 6 containers of potatoes in February. Have early peas about 1 foot tall, kale, cauliflower, onions and carrots are all doing well in my greenhouse. Just put corn, various beans, tomatoes, squash and some others under light.

You are in a great place to defend there on the plateau. I’m sure you already know. Did you move there for that reason?

Like you I’ve got plants growing! Started 6 containers of potatoes in February. Have early peas about 1 foot tall, kale, cauliflower, onions and carrots are all doing well in my greenhouse. Just put corn, various beans, tomatoes, squash and some others under light.

We moved here a few years back to get out of snow belt. The plateau climate is wonderful. When Nashville and Knoxville are sweltering we are much cooler due to elevation. Downfall is that we get lots of rain. Sometimes over 5 feet ( yes feet) a year. We get snow but never more than an inch or two so far and never for long. Low taxes, senior friendly with things like tax breaks etc. Land is reasonably priced or was when we moved here and cost of living is low with lots of Wildlife areas, National and State parks. Lots of rural communities with great people overall. It does have some issues though.

I won't start tomatoes and such for another couple weeks. I don't start plants under lights any more. I have gone to winter sowing my crops in milk jugs. It works wonderfully. The plant tend to be so much healthier and I start them outside with no electricity used at all. I have had great success with this method. I am not after the earliest tomato and just want to fill my larder and freezer. I start some of my seeds in January and many don't come up until mother nature triggers them to.

I know. They are Jackalopes

Robin here on the plateau I have to have a fence for the wild hogs. They are so destructive. Bear are also a problem and love to raid corn and melon patches. So my fences in some cases are backed up by electric fences. Problem is the rabbit dig under and are absolutely escape artists. With all that fencing and 2 large dogs running they still manage to come calling in the gardens.

Planning some changes this year. The greenhouse has taken its final beating in the storms. It was something the previous owner made out of whatever he could find and wasn't built well. We ordered a new one which I will have to build in the spring. Our other plan is to plant a lot more trees, bushes and wild flowers. After letting the lawn grow long last year and seeing lots more wildlife living on our plot we want to try to return the land to how it would have looked before the farmers stripped it all bare.

Robin here on the plateau I have to have a fence for the wild hogs. They are so destructive. Bear are also a problem and love to raid corn and melon patches. So my fences in some cases are backed up by electric fences. Problem is the rabbit dig under and are absolutely escape artists. With all that fencing and 2 large dogs running they still manage to come calling in the gardens.

We dont have either here. Thank goodness. I dont have problems with critters since I use fencing. I have terrible soil due to Walnut tree poisoning. It hurts all nightshade plants. That's why I uase containers for tomatoes and potatoes and add lots of bagged soil per each plant in garden every year. The soil has lots of clay. I always have good beans, okra, squash but cannot for the life of me, grow corn.

Last edited by a moderator:
We dont have either here. Thank goodness. I dont have problems with critters since I use fencing. I have terrible would due to Walnut tree poisoning. It hurts all nightshade plants. That's why I uase containers for tomatoes and potatoes and add lots of bagged soil per each plant in garden every year. The soil has lots of clay. I always have good beans, okra, squash but cannot for the life of me, grow corn.[/QUOTE

I don't grow corn either. It is a terrible crop in that the output is low compared to production. I have lots of Mennonite neighbors that always have roadside stands full of fresh corn. Works great!

Have you tried sheet mulching or bring in horticultural chips to help dilute that walnut poisoning. I compost tons of leaves, straw and horse manure and works great. Also raised beds would work for those tomatoes. I have some raised beds that I use for some of my vegetables along with a regular garden.

Latest posts

Back