Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I planted english peas (green peas), spring green onions, beets and mustard greens yesterday. Have my potato and onion sets ready to go. I always plant potatoes around St. Patrick's Day. Already my husband is stalking the neighborhood rabbit population.

You are in a great place to defend there on the plateau. I’m sure you already know. Did you move there for that reason?

Like you I’ve got plants growing! Started 6 containers of potatoes in February. Have early peas about 1 foot tall, kale, cauliflower, onions and carrots are all doing well in my greenhouse. Just put corn, various beans, tomatoes, squash and some others under light.

You are in a great place to defend there on the plateau. I’m sure you already know. Did you move there for that reason?

Like you I’ve got plants growing! Started 6 containers of potatoes in February. Have early peas about 1 foot tall, kale, cauliflower, onions and carrots are all doing well in my greenhouse. Just put corn, various beans, tomatoes, squash and some others under light.

We moved here a few years back to get out of snow belt. The plateau climate is wonderful. When Nashville and Knoxville are sweltering we are much cooler due to elevation. Downfall is that we get lots of rain. Sometimes over 5 feet ( yes feet) a year. We get snow but never more than an inch or two so far and never for long. Low taxes, senior friendly with things like tax breaks etc. Land is reasonably priced or was when we moved here and cost of living is low with lots of Wildlife areas, National and State parks. Lots of rural communities with great people overall. It does have some issues though.

I won't start tomatoes and such for another couple weeks. I don't start plants under lights any more. I have gone to winter sowing my crops in milk jugs. It works wonderfully. The plant tend to be so much healthier and I start them outside with no electricity used at all. I have had great success with this method. I am not after the earliest tomato and just want to fill my larder and freezer. I start some of my seeds in January and many don't come up until mother nature triggers them to.

I know. They are Jackalopes

Robin here on the plateau I have to have a fence for the wild hogs. They are so destructive. Bear are also a problem and love to raid corn and melon patches. So my fences in some cases are backed up by electric fences. Problem is the rabbit dig under and are absolutely escape artists. With all that fencing and 2 large dogs running they still manage to come calling in the gardens.

Planning some changes this year. The greenhouse has taken its final beating in the storms. It was something the previous owner made out of whatever he could find and wasn't built well. We ordered a new one which I will have to build in the spring. Our other plan is to plant a lot more trees, bushes and wild flowers. After letting the lawn grow long last year and seeing lots more wildlife living on our plot we want to try to return the land to how it would have looked before the farmers stripped it all bare.

Robin here on the plateau I have to have a fence for the wild hogs. They are so destructive. Bear are also a problem and love to raid corn and melon patches. So my fences in some cases are backed up by electric fences. Problem is the rabbit dig under and are absolutely escape artists. With all that fencing and 2 large dogs running they still manage to come calling in the gardens.

We dont have either here. Thank goodness. I dont have problems with critters since I use fencing. I have terrible soil due to Walnut tree poisoning. It hurts all nightshade plants. That's why I uase containers for tomatoes and potatoes and add lots of bagged soil per each plant in garden every year. The soil has lots of clay. I always have good beans, okra, squash but cannot for the life of me, grow corn.

Last edited by a moderator:
We dont have either here. Thank goodness. I dont have problems with critters since I use fencing. I have terrible would due to Walnut tree poisoning. It hurts all nightshade plants. That's why I uase containers for tomatoes and potatoes and add lots of bagged soil per each plant in garden every year. The soil has lots of clay. I always have good beans, okra, squash but cannot for the life of me, grow corn.[/QUOTE

I don't grow corn either. It is a terrible crop in that the output is low compared to production. I have lots of Mennonite neighbors that always have roadside stands full of fresh corn. Works great!

Have you tried sheet mulching or bring in horticultural chips to help dilute that walnut poisoning. I compost tons of leaves, straw and horse manure and works great. Also raised beds would work for those tomatoes. I have some raised beds that I use for some of my vegetables along with a regular garden.

I got the greenhouse planted today. Put in radishes, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, lettuces, carrots and celery. Felt good to play in the dirt again. Also pruned another row of grapes today. Have about 4 more to do. They were majorly overgrown and really should have been done weeks ago. When I’m done with them I need to start on the blueberries. That’s a three day project as well. Always something. Well, with considering starting the quarantine I guess I will have more time on the property here.....

With rain moving in tonight we got the rest of our pruning done on peach and plum trees and all the trimmings burned. Blueberry and grapes were already pruned. Sprayed dormant oil on the peaches and plums before the rains move in. Will try for one more dormant oil spray before bud break. Planted onions and potatoes. Also ordered spring chicks.

With rain moving in tonight we got the rest of our pruning done on peach and plum trees and all the trimmings burned. Blueberry and grapes were already pruned. Sprayed dormant oil on the peaches and plums before the rains move in. Will try for one more dormant oil spray before bud break. Planted onions and potatoes. Also ordered spring chicks.

I haven't purchased chicks for the last 2 years. I've let a hen go broody and hatch a few. I got tired of having chicken dust in the laundry room for months. Plus, watching the mom with the chicks is the cutest thing ever.

My plumbs bloomed a couple weeks ago. Same thing last year and didn’t get a single plum. What oil do you use on your fruit trees?

I haven't purchased chicks for the last 2 years. I've let a hen go broody and hatch a few. I got tired of having chicken dust in the laundry room for months. Plus, watching the mom with the chicks is the cutest thing ever.

I normally let one go broody but managed to lose my rooster so I ended up ordering chicks. Personally I prefer to let the hen do all the work also.

My plumbs bloomed a couple weeks ago. Same thing last year and didn’t get a single plum. What oil do you use on your fruit trees?

Nope no blossoms here yet other than daffodils and the Forsythia bush by the house. This area is notorious for those late season frosts/snows when the fruit trees bloom so I try to buy trees that bloom later and plant them in the coldest areas to prevent early bloom. It is still a crap shoot if I actually get fruit or not. I use All Seasons Dormant oil by Bonide. Then I use Neem for the early spray and it seems to do well. I only grow 2 stone fruit for that reason. Thinking of adding pears to the place though.

Lots of natives because they are so much easier. Elderberry, Mulberry, Cornelian Cherry (dogwood family), Pawpaw, Serviceberry, Sand Plum, Hughbush American Cranberry. The natives are so much easier and require practically no care other than the occasional pruning and feeding.

Along the fence that borders small road we have blackberry ( with thorns), Sand plum (with spurs) Quince with thorns and gooseberries with thorns. Kind of like an English hedgerow along fence. Hubby has a video of one of the local addicts trying to climb the fence to get to the shed over there. He laughs himself silly watching it. The guy staggers away bloody and looking like he got into a fight with a herd of cats!

Nothing like a little Commando gardening!

Last edited:
My plums are just starting to bloom. Last year the squirrels had a feast and the year before, each plum had a tiny white worm in it.
Hi robin, even with worms in the plums, you can make moonshine with them. It is clean and sterile after distilling. Even if you don't wanna drink it, you can cook or run your car on it...GP

Latest posts

Back